Author Topic: Local Wildlife  (Read 542273 times)

Offline Trojan

Re: Local Wildlife
« Reply #75 on: February 11, 2011, 04:05:49 am »
Yorkshire is full of them ... ten a penny!

Yes, I bet it is.  8)

Offline TheMedz

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #76 on: February 11, 2011, 07:08:37 am »
Yes Fester is did hover and swoop and now the animal kingdom is one mouse less.

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #77 on: February 21, 2011, 01:37:42 pm »
The Wood Pigeons were getting quite frisky in the back garden today and I noticed that they were pinching bits off the Laburnum Tree for nesting material.  It's a sure sign that Spring is in the air!      :)

Offline Hugo

« Reply #78 on: February 23, 2011, 05:05:29 pm »
I came past Llandrillo Tech yesterday on my way to Llandudno and in that flat wet field (opposite the Golf Course)  I saw dozens and dozens of Lapwings feeding on the ground.
The Lapwing population is in decline so it was nice to see so many at once.  It's usually a good place to see Lapwings but yesterday there seemed to be more than normal.

Yorkie

« Reply #79 on: February 23, 2011, 05:20:16 pm »
Bodafon Field was a good place for Lapwings but now with all the livestock there it doesn't seem such a popular roost.        >>>

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #80 on: February 24, 2011, 12:01:59 pm »
we saw some 'wildlife' yesterday

seemed to be enjoying themselves  :laugh:
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #81 on: February 24, 2011, 01:07:18 pm »
We have had a single goat around for a day or two especially last weekend when he stuck his head through a hedge in the dark and made us jump out of our skins.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Blodyn

« Reply #82 on: March 01, 2011, 04:00:36 pm »
Thanks to TheMedz for posting the first photo of this season's goat kids (under What's Llandudno like right now), which prompted me to keep my eyes open.  I've now seen four kids, including this delightful pair above West Shore.  A neighbour who had also been watching them says that they were born on 27 February.  Sorry the photos aren't better - I could do with a bit more "zoom". 

It's nice to see another brown goat appearing in the herd.  According to the Country Park Wardens one was relocated and the last one died a couple of years ago, though I think that there might still be one with brown patches - has anyone seen him lately? 

Offline Blodyn

« Reply #83 on: March 01, 2011, 05:06:23 pm »
Last photo of the nanny and kids before they disappeared from sight. 

For anyone who's interested in the goats, Eve Parry has written an excellent booklet "Aliens on the Great Orme", which I hope is still available.  I've had my copy for several years and I can't remember where I bought it. 

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #84 on: March 01, 2011, 06:25:35 pm »
Great photos, Blodyn, thanks for posting.  :)

Yorkie

« Reply #85 on: March 01, 2011, 06:26:43 pm »
Last photo of the nanny and kids before they disappeared from sight. 

For anyone who's interested in the goats, Eve Parry has written an excellent booklet "Aliens on the Great Orme", which I hope is still available.  I've had my copy for several years and I can't remember where I bought it. 

Large excerpt available here: http://www.llandudno.com/goats.html

Offline Hugo

« Reply #86 on: March 01, 2011, 07:15:23 pm »
They are really lovely photos of the Goats Blodyn. Were they taken above the Invalid's Walk area?
I've been wondering about the brown Goat as I haven't seen him around so it's nice to know what happened.  At least he's left his mark on the herd.
I noticed last week that the Goats are tagged in the ear and the Nanny seems to have one in hers too.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 07:18:57 pm by Hugo »

Offline Blodyn

« Reply #87 on: March 01, 2011, 08:33:18 pm »
Many thanks for your very kind comments about the goat photos, DaveR and Hugo, and for the link to the excerpt from Eve's booklet, Yorkie.

The goats were a bit to the SW of Pen-y-Ffridd Farm, which is off the far end of St. Beuno's Road.  There was another nanny with a young kid near them but she quietly slipped away while I was creeping (presumably not so quietly) down the other side of a wall to try to get a bit closer.  I'll obviously have to sharpen up my stalking skills! 

Offline TheMedz

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #88 on: March 01, 2011, 08:49:54 pm »
Love the pictures.There were a couple of kids and their mother coming down Wyddfyd Road on Sunday evening but by the time we got up there with the camera they were off into the fields behind the houses on Prospect Terrace. Even at such a tender age they show no fear of going right up to the edges of the ledges on Pen y Dinas .

Offline Blodyn

« Reply #89 on: March 02, 2011, 09:19:32 pm »
Thanks to TheMedz for your comments on the goat pictures, the kids are amazingly agile, aren't they. 

Here's another attempt at photographing some wildlife - some of the ponies at Maes y Facrell nature reserve on the Great Orme.  I think that they just about count as being wild.  The Countryside Commission for Wales (CCW), which owns the nature reserve and the ponies, says that they're wild, though the one in last photo wasn't exhibiting much wildness and kept "huffing" on my lens and steaming it up. 

A group of Welsh Mountain ponies spends a couple of months at Maes y Facrell each winter, eating coarse grasses which would otherwise swamp many of the flowers.  The ponies then move on to other CCW sites but these should be here till about the end of March.