Author Topic: Local Wildlife  (Read 543601 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: Local Wildlife
« Reply #60 on: January 31, 2011, 05:43:59 pm »
You're lucky Bellringer because you don't often see then nowadays, we saw one on our walk in Capel Garmon but it was the first I'd seen for years.
We also commented that we hadn't seen any Buzzards while on the walk which is unusual, but in the car driving home we saw 5 of them.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #61 on: January 31, 2011, 09:36:36 pm »
Funny you should say that .... because the Buzzard which rested in the tree behind my house before Xmas, was back again today!

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #62 on: January 31, 2011, 09:46:04 pm »
We regularly see buzzards in the Conwy area and indeed saw one on Saturday perched on a lampost near St Hilary's Church at Llanrhos.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #63 on: January 31, 2011, 09:48:58 pm »
....Ahh, but to a former city dweller like myself...it is a fabulous sight to behold.   you are most fortunate Sir!
Fester...

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #64 on: January 31, 2011, 10:05:49 pm »
Fester, you are absolutely right, they are a terrific sight as they 'ride the thermals'. We are indeed fortunate to be able to witness such sights on a regular basis.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #65 on: January 31, 2011, 10:14:52 pm »
Watching teletext tonight I saw that there was a confirmed sighting of a Golden Eagle in Pontrhydygroes near Aberystwyth.  It's the first time it has been spotted in Wales for some time.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #66 on: February 06, 2011, 03:37:52 pm »
Saw the Bullfinch and the Peregrine Falcon on a walk to Capel Garmon
« Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 04:14:04 pm by Hugo »

Offline Jack

« Reply #67 on: February 06, 2011, 03:48:57 pm »
Hi Hugo
Absolutely great photos, but I'm sure the bird of prey is a peregrine and not a kestrel.  Jack

Offline Hugo

« Reply #68 on: February 06, 2011, 04:13:15 pm »
My mistake Jack because you're spot on, it's a Peregrine Falcon.  I remember now that when we were walking through the woodland we couldn't get the photo of the Kestrel as it flew off but the Peregrine stayed in it's position just long enough to get a photo.   I'll amend my earlier posting now and thanks for pointing it out.

Offline TheMedz

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #69 on: February 10, 2011, 07:08:06 pm »
Whilst out round Penmon Point ( no leather cowboy hatted jobsworths in sight!) on what was an absolutely stunning walking day  today I spotted a reddish bird of prey on the telegraph wire between the coastguard station and the cafe. I think it might have been a kestrel but I'd be grateful if anyone else can confirm having seen one there recently. I also saw what I think was a stoat in the on the drain pipe of the house between the cafe and the coast. are they known to inhabit that area?

Offline Jack

« Reply #70 on: February 10, 2011, 07:16:23 pm »
Whilst out round Penmon Point ( no leather cowboy hatted jobsworths in sight!) on what was an absolutely stunning walking day  today I spotted a reddish bird of prey on the telegraph wire between the coastguard station and the cafe. I think it might have been a kestrel but I'd be grateful if anyone else can confirm having seen one there recently. I also saw what I think was a stoat in the on the drain pipe of the house between the cafe and the coast. are they known to inhabit that area?

You don't mention size, but the chances are it was a male kestrel that has a reddish brown/chestnut back.  The only other reddish bird of prey is a red kite but this is significantly bigger (nearer buzzard size) and has a distinctive forked tail, also they are still pretty rare in North Wales even though there are more and more records.

Offline TheMedz

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #71 on: February 10, 2011, 08:16:17 pm »
Thanks Jack. It wasn't big enough for a Buzzard so unless anyone comes up with an alternative  I'm going to tick my Eye-Spy book of birds "Kestrel" box.

Offline TheMedz

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #72 on: February 10, 2011, 08:25:46 pm »
Soft though it may seem .With the birds, sea-life, animals and particularly the scenery over the last few days I've just had it all re-affirmed why I moved here just over a year ago. i just can't think of anywhere I'd rather be.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #73 on: February 10, 2011, 09:41:24 pm »
same with us, living near the Little Orme we can see the seals at Angel Bay, lots of sea birds and I love to see and hear the ravens around here. Also the garden birds are excellent too (especially for me, the visiting, very friendly pigeons  D) )
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #74 on: February 11, 2011, 12:31:29 am »
Soft though it may seem .With the birds, sea-life, animals and particularly the scenery over the last few days I've just had it all re-affirmed why I moved here just over a year ago. i just can't think of anywhere I'd rather be.

Mr Medz... did you see the bird in question in flight?
Because Kestrels are unmistakeable when they hang there, completely stationary, still on the wind.... then they swoop!

Yorkshire is full of them ... ten a penny!

Fester...