Author Topic: Local Wildlife  (Read 528375 times)

Offline DVT

• Management board member
Re: Local Wildlife
« Reply #1755 on: April 17, 2021, 08:59:40 pm »
Make a change from goats ... snapped this in Bodnant Garden this week (there were 3 of them) collecting lichen.

Offline DVT

« Reply #1756 on: April 17, 2021, 09:02:59 pm »
... and this little fellow was singing his heart out - surprisingly loud for a small bird!

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #1757 on: April 18, 2021, 09:09:34 am »
Love your pics DVT. Is the first little bird a Long Tailed Tit? We used to get a small flock of them came to the feeder, but haven't seen them for a while.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline DVT

« Reply #1758 on: April 18, 2021, 01:37:43 pm »
Yes, Nemesis, it is a long-tailed tit - not seen very often an usually in quite large groups.  I have never before managed to get a shot as they are very active and seem to be camera shy.  There were 3 that I saw, and they were collecting lichen so must be nesting somewhere near the far end of Bodnant - I will be there again this week (Wednesday and Thursday) so see what I can find!

I'm also told there are fly-catchers in one of the nesting boxes but not seen them myself.  Mallards are nesting inside the shed that is on the island (my Dad helped build that back in the early 1970's, so nice to see it is being put to good use!)

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1759 on: April 18, 2021, 02:51:40 pm »
Nice photos DVT, keep the camera handy when you're in Bodnant as it's nice to see what's there.        $good$

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #1760 on: April 21, 2021, 11:30:57 am »
At least they are learning some road sense, even if the last few sneaked through on amber......... ref FB

Offline hollins

« Reply #1761 on: April 23, 2021, 04:52:52 pm »
We saw an adder on our walk today.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1762 on: April 27, 2021, 06:46:15 pm »
Massive' panther-like big cat spotted near famous North Wales landmark
Witness claims to have seen the creature near the Pontcysyllte Aqueduct and described it as 'jet black and built differently to any kind of dog'

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/massive-panther-like-big-cat-20477725

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1763 on: May 01, 2021, 10:35:17 am »
I went to get a tyre repaired today and parked behind this vehicle and the Seagull looked like it was sitting on a nest but when I got out of my car I could see that there were no eggs laid.     I was told that the car hadn't moved for a while so perhaps the Gulls will nest there

Offline SteveH

Re: Local Wildlife..........Brenig Ospreys nest vandelised
« Reply #1764 on: May 01, 2021, 02:11:08 pm »
We can only hope they have been spotted on a trail camera ................    $angry$      $angry$          $angry$

A police investigation has been launched after someone "took a chainsaw" to an osprey nest platform at Brenig Lake - just one day after they laid their first egg of the season.

Brenig Osprey Project partners discovered this morning that at around 9.30pm on Friday (April 30) someone intentionally felled the osprey platform at the Cerrigydrudion site between Conwy and Denbighshire.

The platform, along with the nest, was discovered floating in the lake below this morning.

Confirming the horrific incident on social media, the North Wales Wildlife Trust said: "Brenig Osprey Project partners woke up this morning to the worst possible news.

cont  https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/rare-protected-osprey-nest-chopped-20507716

PS Pioneer story   Watch: Horrific moment Llyn Brenig osprey nest is felled
North Wales Police's Rural Crime team has released the disturbing footage as part of its appeal to help identify the perpetrators of the incident - which occurred at 9.42pm on Friday at the reservoir on the Denbighshire-Conwy border.
Cont  https://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/19273485.watch-horrific-moment-llyn-brenig-osprey-nest-felled/

Offline Helig

« Reply #1765 on: May 01, 2021, 03:07:26 pm »
More on the ospreys' nest:

https://raptorpersecutionscotland.wordpress.com/2021/05/01/osprey-nest-platform-cut-down-with-chainsaw-as-first-egg-is-laid/

There are some truly sick and twisted people in this world.

Helig

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1766 on: May 01, 2021, 04:17:53 pm »
DP report........https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/video-captures-heartbreaking-moment-rare-20508532

"Efforts are still being made here to persuade the pair that have been here already to stay around the area.

"One of the other nest platforms has been cleared and we hope they will migrate to that platform and lay further eggs this season but it's yet to be seen what will happen.

"What makes this occurrence even more tragic is that it was only yesterday that this pair breeding here, for the first time as breeding parents, laid an egg on this site."

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1767 on: May 02, 2021, 12:51:41 pm »
North Wales Wildlife Trust
@North_Wales_WT
Good Morning and thank you all for the tremendous support you are giving to our ospreys,LM6 and LJ2,
This photo was taken at 6.45 this morning.Both ospreys were on the perch looking at where their nest should be.
#BrenigOspreyProject #DwrCymru #NorthWalesWildlifeTrust #LlynBrenig

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1768 on: May 03, 2021, 01:15:59 pm »
Social media all over this story, very sad despicable act.        ref DP

Swan killed and two others seriously injured at Rhyl lagoon
North Wales Police are appealing for information over the 'appalling incident of cruelty'

The incident happened at a lagoon at Rhyl Golf Club last night Sunday, May 3.

Police say were made aware of the incident shortly before 8am today after CCTV footage showed two young males at the location at around 8pm on Sunday.

The injured swans are being cared for at a local veterinary surgery.

Inspector Chris Jolley said: “This is an appalling incident of cruelty. We are working directly with the RSPCA and urge anyone who may be able to assist with our ongoing investigation to come forward.

We are aware of footage that is currently circulating social media and would urge anybody who may have information, or who may be able to identify the two males, to contact us immediately via the live chat on the force website or via 101, quoting reference number Z061031.”

And further news on the Osprey story ref BBC
"Extra security measures may be brought in to protect ospreys after their nest site was cut down with a chainsaw.

Conservationists replaced a platform destroyed on Friday at Llyn Brenig, which borders Conwy and Denbighshire.

An existing platform was opened to the birds on Saturday but the original platform has now been replaced.

Staff at Brenig Osprey Project say they will establish what security measures can be put in place if the birds decide to use one of the platforms."

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1769 on: May 04, 2021, 10:02:11 am »
 Re above "Swan killed and two others seriously injured at Rhyl lagoon"

"Officers have now arrested a juvenile male from the Rhyl area in connection with the incident. He is currently in police custody is being interviewed by police and RSPCA officers"