Author Topic: Local Wildlife  (Read 543681 times)

Offline Hammy

• Management board member
Re: Local Wildlife
« Reply #1695 on: August 10, 2020, 06:55:42 pm »

Offline Blongb

• I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #1696 on: August 10, 2020, 09:08:15 pm »
I have Just seen a large bee like insect, hovering over some flowers, I stress the word hovering, it was not a wasp or a hover fly, and fairly sure it was not a hornet, the wings looked like a small moth, two tone wings, brownish at the tips, distinct antenna, it was not buzzing, I found nothing during a Webb search, I can best describe it as having the actions of a hummingbird... anyone recognise anything ?

Steve try looking up the hummingbird moth, we get quite a few at this time of the year.  $good$
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #1697 on: August 11, 2020, 10:12:00 am »
Thank you both, That's the one, the links description is spot on, and that is another first for me, this garden is quite educational, thanks again.

This stock photo shows the angle I saw it at........

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1698 on: August 22, 2020, 04:56:52 pm »
The mysterious shark which found a safe haven in Wales - and has now been named our national sea creature

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/mysterious-shark-found-safe-haven-18807846

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1699 on: August 25, 2020, 04:08:31 pm »
Fears Channel 4 TV show filming may have 'frightened' ospreys from North Wales nest

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/local-news/fears-channel-4-tv-show-18824955

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1700 on: August 28, 2020, 06:30:26 pm »
Ever since we lost our dog, cats seem to be coming to our back garden more and more.     One is a Siamese cat and is a real predator, he goes after all the birds in the garden and size doesn't matter to him as he goes after the Seagulls too.
I've even seen him running after the Badger and chasing the Badger away
This week we have seen him chasing the Squirrel and he chased it all around the garden and in the end the Squirrel leapt up to the top of a tall tree for safety but then so did the cat and it was only when I ran out into the garden that the cat ran away.
I came back into our house but we were not sure if the Squirrel had been injured or not but after a few minutes and when it was safe to do so the Squirrel jumped down and ran quickly in the opposite direction to where the cat had gone.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1701 on: August 28, 2020, 06:38:31 pm »
Hi Mull,  I can see that you've just logged in.      I hope that you and Lorna are both keeping safe and well and riding out the storms we seem to keep having
I watched a short programme on TV this week and it was about the wildlife on Mull and some surrounding islands and it was really interesting.    It looks beautiful there ( well on a good day! ) and the photographer filmed an Albino Fallow Deer that he came across, as well as a lot of other wildlife.   I can see what you mean about the roads there, they are ok providing the tourists are not about.   Something like here in North Wales        ;D

Offline Robbie G

« Reply #1702 on: August 28, 2020, 06:59:03 pm »
We also have a cat visiting our garden and he is a squirrel hunter too I have not seen him catch one yet but he will give him time our daughter`s cat catches them on a regular basis but they don't seem to get any less 

Offline mull

« Reply #1703 on: August 29, 2020, 10:53:25 am »
Hi Hugo.
All well up here on Mull.
You have my sympathy about the cats. The lady next door is a member of the Cats Protection League and takes in feral cats that are found on the island before moving them on. The things keep hanging around stalking the birds but worse of all We use old fish boxes to grow veg and strawberries etc and they keep using the boxes to have a crap. Usually I just cover the strawberries to keep the birds off but now have to cover everything. Fun  opening the door and shouting "cats" to Fly and watching them clear a 6 foot fence with her close behind.
In a way we enjoyed the lockdown having the island for ourselves, nice and quiet. Since 17 July they opened the place to visitors and standard of behavior has gone downhill since. It does not feel safe anymore, the virus has not gone away.
As for the single track roads many visitors have not got a clue how to drive on them. Came off the ferry yesterday and was behind one for nearly  15 miles doing less than 40 MPH  before I managed to get past them. It is against the law not to allow overtaking. The people were more interested in the wildlife and scenery than the road. I stopped too remind them that the car behind could be a member of the emergency services or doctor, on a call out, but all I got back from them was abuse. No telling some people.

Rant over!

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1704 on: September 05, 2020, 10:42:07 am »
Seen recently near West Shore............

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1705 on: September 07, 2020, 04:19:00 pm »
'Alien' like sea creatures found on North Wales beach - and they could be worth thousands
Gooseneck barnacles, which are an expensive delicacy in Spain and Portugal, were found washed up on a Gwynedd beach.

Creepy looking sea creatures found on a beach in North Wales this weekend could be worth thousands of pounds.

Gooseneck barnacles were found attached to a piece of driftwood found washed up on a beach, near Caernarfon over the weekend.

They  are considered a delicacy in Portugal and Spain, where they're known as percebes and can be sold for "as much as £25 a go".

cont  https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/alien-like-sea-creatures-found-18889645

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1706 on: September 11, 2020, 09:57:22 am »
That Siamese cat that comes to our garden to attack anything that moves whether its birds, Badgers or Squirrels is still on the loose. 
In fact when I was clearing a compost spot it was there about two foot away and starring at me and only moved when I yelled at it.   One thing I had time to notice was that the owner of the cat had responsibly put a bell on its collar so at least the birds have some chance.
However if I do manage to catch it I'll send it by first class post to Mull

Offline mull

« Reply #1707 on: September 11, 2020, 12:35:37 pm »
Fly would love the challenge ! $hands$

Offline Blongb

• I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #1708 on: September 11, 2020, 12:49:40 pm »
That Siamese cat that comes to our garden to attack anything that moves whether its birds, Badgers or Squirrels is still on the loose. 
In fact when I was clearing a compost spot it was there about two foot away and starring at me and only moved when I yelled at it.   One thing I had time to notice was that the owner of the cat had responsibly put a bell on its collar so at least the birds have some chance.
However if I do manage to catch it I'll send it by first class post to Mull

A few years ago I had a friend up in Aberdeen who also had a big problem with a neighbors cat. He finally solved the problem by making lots of ice cubes and  buying a Catapult.
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1709 on: September 20, 2020, 04:46:55 pm »
I have been trying to identify a bird that has been around all afternoon, always in the hedge between us and next door, no sight of it, but an unusual sound, one I have not heard before, later looking around the front garden, I heard it again in the neighbours , after creeping closer and peering into their garden, I found the answer..........their dog had a new toy   :-[     :laugh:   :laugh: