Author Topic: Local Wildlife  (Read 545196 times)

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
Re: Local Wildlife
« Reply #1575 on: November 05, 2019, 01:14:35 pm »
There were only a few seals at Angel Bay in Penrhyn Bay today and we didn't see any sign of Seal pups there.

A seal pup that could be as young as two weeks is becoming a star attraction at a North Wales beach.
The marine mammal has not yet shed its white coat, which suggests it is a very young infant.

Video captured by North Wales Live shows it lounging on the rocks near the cliff edge, while its group keeps watch from the shoreline and the water.   cont    https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/adorable-seal-pup-making-waves-17202197

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #1576 on: November 17, 2019, 08:59:14 am »
A Dipper on the fast flowing Afon Glaslyn in Beddgelert and a Robin happy to pose nearby

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1577 on: November 25, 2019, 04:57:08 pm »
Stunning Anglesey starling murmuration caught on camera
The 'breathtaking' spectacle was captured on video at Cors Ddyga Nature Reserve.

The hypnotic video footage shared on the North Wales Bird and Wildlife Sightings Facebook group , shows the flying flock perform a spectacular aerial display, simultaneously shifting their flight patterns in mid-air.

Video    https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/stunning-anglesey-starling-murmuration-caught-17313247

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1578 on: December 04, 2019, 03:40:04 pm »
Large number of seals in Angel Bay.       ref Pioneer

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1579 on: December 11, 2019, 06:38:12 pm »
I've only just read this article on the mystery of about 330 dead Starlings in Anglesey and it makes awful reading

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/police-say-mystery-mass-bird-17403053

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #1580 on: December 12, 2019, 09:55:25 am »
It's happened elsewhere, too; it was near an air base in Scotland. I would doubt poisoning as the culprit unless it was a toxic nerve agent. It could be something physical.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1581 on: December 12, 2019, 05:18:16 pm »
The Police believe that they have an explanation for the Starlings but need to do some tests before they can reveal what has caused this carnage

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-50763597

Offline DVT

« Reply #1582 on: December 14, 2019, 09:13:56 am »
I am in Bodnant Garden two days a week and have found a few dead pigeons around the place recently ... but on Thursday I shot the murderer (with a camera).  It was raining heavily which is why the picture is not brilliant quality.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #1583 on: December 14, 2019, 10:27:54 am »
Oh, yes;  a female sparrow Hawk (I think) who has taken three wood pigeons from our lower garden and who thinks nothing of attacking a solitary bird right next to our lounge window. It's quite a sight, watching the predator seize the hapless wood pigeon in flight, then crash into the lounge window and start to dismember the only partly-dead bird on the balcony.

It's only this year I've realised they attack the larger birds, such as wood pigeons. Leave a right mess, too, after they've plucked the pigeon.

I'm guessing she's the same one, since they have a fairly wide territory, I believe.  Feel a bit sorry for the wood pigeons but we have three bird stations and it must be like a smorgasbord for the Hawk :-) Magnificent to watch hunting, though.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1584 on: December 14, 2019, 12:37:47 pm »
We have had a Sparrow Hawk here this week and although I didn't see it the evidence is at the top of the garden.   It's not a pleasant sight to see, especially if you see the kill but that's nature for you.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1585 on: December 14, 2019, 12:42:23 pm »
I've saved a few pigeons from sparrow hawks in the past, can't say I'm keen on them!
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline DVT

« Reply #1586 on: December 14, 2019, 02:59:04 pm »
Interesting ... I thought it was a buzzard - the colouring and markings suggest that.  Can someone give a positive ID, please?

Buzzards hovering over Bodnant are common, identified by their mewing call as well.

Anyway, it flew past me when I was taking this, a much nicer bird - singing in the rain at the time.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1587 on: December 14, 2019, 05:00:33 pm »

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1588 on: December 15, 2019, 12:32:50 pm »
After looking again, I think it is as Ian suggested a female Sparrow Hawk, Buzzards are much larger and mainly hunt ground prey.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1589 on: December 19, 2019, 10:05:20 am »
The Police believe that they have an explanation for the Starlings but need to do some tests before they can reveal what has caused this carnage
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-50763597
Latest on the Starling story.....

"Several bodies were collected and sent off for tests with their findings indicating that the birds died due to "trauma and internal bleeding" after they plunged into the ground.

But scientists are still unsure at this stage what caused the birds to crash in to the road -  and they are continuing their investigation alongside North Wales Police.
An expert told North Wales Live that it wasn't uncommon for starlings to fly into the ground."
https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/test-results-300-birds-found-17442485