Author Topic: Local Wildlife  (Read 527539 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: Local Wildlife
« Reply #1560 on: September 13, 2019, 10:56:29 am »
The village pond at Gwaenysgor was fuller but more overgrown since the last time we saw it but the Ducks and Geese seemed to be enjoying it
We have seen some large Carp in the pond in the past but didn't see any this time

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1561 on: September 21, 2019, 04:39:48 pm »
After seeing the Badger leap up and climb the tree in my garden and pinch the food left out for the birds, I said that I wouldn't put any more bird food out in that tree.
Anyway I changed my mind and thought about all the birds that go to the tree so I got my step ladder out and put the suet cake and peanuts out as high as I could out of reach of the Badger
Well so I thought, the next day the suet cake had all gone and the wired peanut feeder was all mangled up and most of the peanuts had gone
I was determined not to be beaten by the adventurous Badger so I got my extension ladder out and the peanut feeder is right at the top of the tree and out of harms way and only the birds ( or Squirrel ( can get to it now

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1562 on: September 24, 2019, 10:20:43 pm »
Rare sighting of Northern Bottlenose Whale spotted off Porthmadog

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-49815113

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1563 on: September 25, 2019, 03:34:49 pm »
There were only a few seals at Angel Bay in Penrhyn Bay today and we didn't see any sign of Seal pups there.

Offline spotty dog

« Reply #1564 on: September 27, 2019, 07:45:23 pm »
I see Hugo's badgers are on BBC 1ioio's street life

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1565 on: September 28, 2019, 05:29:58 am »
Fame at last    $good$

My little visitors have been behaving themselves in the garden, so far no serious digging in my lawn

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1566 on: September 30, 2019, 08:40:56 am »
I watched Iolo William's  on BBC Wales last night and it was about seeing wildlife in the streets.     It had quite a bit about Colwyn Bay on it and showed one lady who feeds the Badgers every night.  There were 5 Badgers feeding within a few yards of her patio door and it was lovely to watch.
The most number of Badgers I've seen in my garden at once is 3 and that was when a female brought her two cubs into the garden with her.  I did however see 7 when I was feeding the Badgers in my neighbours garden and that was a delight to watch

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #1567 on: October 01, 2019, 03:37:30 pm »
Concern for a visitor on the prom, who has been there for a few hours, apparently marine life rescue personnel on way to check up on the little'un's welfare.

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #1568 on: October 01, 2019, 04:00:03 pm »
The seal has been rescued, and being looked after.. $good$

Coastguard message....
Over the last few weeks we have received a number of messages regarding seals who appear to be in distress asking for us to attend to try and help them.
You may also have seen a recent post on a local Facebook page regading a seal on the promenade in Llandudno.

Whilst these seals may need assistnace, the Coastguard are unable to rescue these seals as we are not equipped or trained to deal with wildlife. We will not attend incidents involving wildlife unless human life is at risk therefore please see the following advice from the British Divers Marine Life Rescue.          http://www.bdmlr.org.uk/index.php

BDMLR is an organisation dedicated to the rescue and well-being of all marine animals in distress around the UK.
RESCUE HOTLINE:
01825 765546 Monday-Friday 9am-5pm
07787 433412 Out of office hours and Bank Holidays

𝗜𝗳 𝘆𝗼𝘂 𝗳𝗶𝗻𝗱 𝗮 𝗹𝗶𝘃𝗲 𝘀𝗲𝗮𝗹:
Watch it from a distance. Do not approach the animal. Seals regularly haul out on our coasts - it is part of their normal behaviour and in fact they spend more time out of the water, digesting their food and resting. Therefore, finding a seal on the beach does not mean there is necessarily a problem and they should not be chased back into the sea as this may stop them from doing what they need to do - rest. A healthy seal should be left well alone.

After stormy weather and high tides, seals will haul out onto beaches to rest and regain their strength. Many do not need first aid, but we will always try to find someone to check them out just in case.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1569 on: October 02, 2019, 04:24:30 pm »
I had a nice walk across the Great Orme today and managed to see a lot of various animals and birds along the way.    The Donkeys in Wyddfyd were all nice but this one was my favourite.

Offline DVT

« Reply #1570 on: October 18, 2019, 05:03:24 pm »
Couple of shots taken at Bodnant yesterday ...

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #1571 on: October 18, 2019, 05:21:22 pm »
The robin's excellent.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1572 on: October 19, 2019, 05:41:27 pm »
Twirl, who used to be wild has recently taken up skateboarding!
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #1573 on: October 20, 2019, 09:07:41 am »
 ;D  Delightful :-)
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1574 on: October 30, 2019, 03:39:29 pm »
Some of the Carneddau Mountain ponies that we saw on Conwy Mountain today