Author Topic: Local Wildlife  (Read 540927 times)

Offline Jack

Re: Local Wildlife
« Reply #1500 on: June 21, 2019, 07:21:11 pm »
Afraid that is a dunnock as well :-)

You can see why many birdwatchers refer to these as LBJs - "Little brown jobs"!

Offline DVT

• Management board member
« Reply #1501 on: June 21, 2019, 10:34:37 pm »
Seems I need to brush up on my ornithology!

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #1502 on: June 23, 2019, 12:26:54 am »
I find this thread irresistible and addictive.
I’m very keen on bird life, but I know so little about them it’s embarrassing.
In my garden, and on the Orme generally, I see all sorts of fabulous species but I never know what they are, despite employing my binoculars and my Birds of Britain book.
I know that I get a lot of wrens, robins, and a superbly noisy woodpecker.... as well as the usual jackdaws, magpies etc....
Today on my way to the summit, I thought I saw saw Stone Chats and Greenfinches,  but now I’m seriously doubting myself.
Keep the pictures and debate rolling!
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #1503 on: June 23, 2019, 09:02:36 am »
I agree.  With DVT and his new camera it should go from strength to strength.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1504 on: June 23, 2019, 12:16:29 pm »
I'm not that good at identifying birds either but love seeing any form of wildlife and those photos of DVT's were great.      I remember you seeing a Buzzard in your garden Fester some years ago but I can't remember if you attached a photo of the bird.     I see them flying overhead now and again and am able to recognise them by their distinguished call

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #1505 on: June 23, 2019, 06:28:23 pm »
I'm not that good at identifying birds either but love seeing any form of wildlife and those photos of DVT's were great.      I remember you seeing a Buzzard in your garden Fester some years ago but I can't remember if you attached a photo of the bird.     I see them flying overhead now and again and am able to recognise them by their distinguished call

Yes, well remembered!   I did indeed post a picture of a buzzard which was ignoring the half hearted attacks from the rest of the birds in our garden.
An enormous and majestic creature that was, and never seen before or since.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #1506 on: June 23, 2019, 07:43:40 pm »
Fester, If you hear a commotion involving gulls and crows, it is sometimes an indication that a Buzzard is about, it happens at quite a height, a sort of aerial dogfight, the Buzzard seams to treat it as a bit of a nuisance, despite the crows getting close, I have seen this behaviour about 3 or 4 times over the last few years, last week being the most recent.

Offline DVT

« Reply #1507 on: June 23, 2019, 08:10:02 pm »
Paid a quick visit to the RSPB reserve in Llandudno Jucntion this morning so here are a few more ornitholigcal delights - was playing with the camera settings so these are not as sharp as I'd like - need more practice.  I'll leave it you experts to say what birds they are but can anyone identify the "duck" because I don't think it's one of the usual suspects.  The bullfinch was a nice surprise but seemed camera shy.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1508 on: June 23, 2019, 10:57:07 pm »
I can only recognise the Bullfinch and the Bluetit but I like the photo of the Goose.     It's not a Canada Goose but I can't say what type it is.
Is your camera a Bridge camera?

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #1509 on: June 24, 2019, 09:04:24 am »

Offline DVT

« Reply #1510 on: June 24, 2019, 09:12:56 am »
Yes Steve, I reckon you're correct on those two.  The tufted duck was quite elusive, every time I lined him (or her) up to snap it dived out of sight!

There was a big flock (at least 50) of the geese sitting together on one of islands.  There were also a lot of Canada Geese but they weren't mixing with the grey ones.

It's the first pic that has me a bit puzzled as I don't think it's a female mallard as the markings don't seem right.

The youngster in the final pic might be nothing more exciting than a sparrow, but I will be pleased to be corrected on  that!

If tomorrow's plans come to fruition I hope to snap something a bit bigger than any of those!

... and to answer Hugo - yes it is a bridge camera - Panasonic Lumix DC-FZ82.

Offline DVT

« Reply #1511 on: June 24, 2019, 09:19:33 am »
Think I've found the duck.  I noticed on a board inside the cafe a list of birds that had been seen and the last on the list was a Gadwall which I'd never heard of before - but I reckon that's what I snapped!  (Thanks Steve for the website link!)

https://www.rspb.org.uk/birds-and-wildlife/wildlife-guides/bird-a-z/gadwall/

Offline Jack

« Reply #1512 on: June 24, 2019, 10:04:45 am »
From the top they are gadwall, tufted duck, greylag goose, bullfinch, blue tit and house sparrow.

Offline DVT

« Reply #1513 on: June 24, 2019, 12:11:09 pm »
Thanks Jack ... I have to admit I'd never heard of a Gadwall before ... learn something new every day!

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1514 on: June 28, 2019, 04:16:58 pm »
This clip about baby hedgehogs is well worth viewing

https://www.facebook.com/1071221419694245/videos/2218948718140663/