Author Topic: Local Wildlife  (Read 527982 times)

Offline DVT

• Management board member
Re: Local Wildlife
« Reply #1455 on: August 25, 2018, 08:47:20 am »
Clever bees at Bodnant ... watch as they get the nectar from the Zauschneria Californica flower (on the Range border just as you enter). In its' native America it is pollinated by hummingbirds, who can easily reach the nectar at the end of the narrow, tubular flowers with their long beaks. The bees cannot do this so have worked out if they chew a hole at the base of the flower then can sip out the nectar. Cheeky!

This plant is also known as the Californian fushcia or the Hummingbird flower.

Offline DVT

« Reply #1456 on: August 25, 2018, 08:51:44 am »
Until ths week I hadn't seen any caterpillars other than a few on  my son's vegetables, but these were seen devouring the foliage at quite a quick rate ... they're the buff-tip moth offspring and can reach a length of 75mm , these were not far off fully grown!!!  They can strip trees but don't do permanent damage, according to the info I found on google!

Offline hollins

« Reply #1457 on: October 05, 2018, 07:10:58 pm »
Not exactly wildlife but these sheep amused me sitting in a line against the wall, not just these three but a flock stretching for a few hundred yards and what's more they didn't move when we walked past!

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #1458 on: October 11, 2018, 04:59:36 pm »
The local crow and woodpidgeon population are feasting on the acorns from the Gloddaeth avenue central reservation trees, at first glance, everything appears normal, but when disturbed up to 100 birds fly out of the foliage, quite a sight, but difficult to photograph.  :'(

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1459 on: October 19, 2018, 04:02:52 pm »
There were about 6 Seals on the beach at Angel Bay today and I could only see one pup there

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1460 on: October 25, 2018, 04:05:53 pm »
We saw a couple of small herds of Goats on the Orme yesterday

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1461 on: November 24, 2018, 04:26:49 pm »
There was quite a bit of Red Squirrel activity in the Dingle at Llangefni today when we had a walk in the area

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1462 on: November 25, 2018, 09:45:17 am »
Tellytubby sent me these photos from the walk in Llangefni that we did yesterday and the photo of the bird is one that he took previously

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1463 on: January 06, 2019, 02:37:37 pm »
Tellytubby has been out and about in the Little Orme area today and phoned me up to say that there were dozens and dozens of Seals in Angel Bay in Penrhyn Bay
In fact there were sightings of over 100 Seals there recently

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1464 on: January 13, 2019, 06:13:17 pm »
Not exactly wildlife, but these Shetland Ponies were grazing in a wet boggy field near Blaenau Ffestiniog yesterday

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1465 on: January 31, 2019, 12:36:14 pm »
A lot of snow fell here yesterday and this morning I had a look for animal tracks in the garden but there was no sign of any Badgers coming into the garden.
I'm a bit concerned because for many years now they have been coming here every night and I do leave some food out for them but I've noticed that for a few weeks or months now there has been no sign of them.
My neighbour told me that there appears to have been no activity in the many Badger setts that are near our houses so it is strange and it makes us wonder what is going on in the area to cause this absence of the Badgers

We hide peanuts in a cast iron frog like in the attached photo but in recent weeks/ months it hasn't been touched

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1466 on: February 04, 2019, 03:45:27 pm »
This morning we found that the cast iron Frog in the garden had been disturbed and all the peanuts inside it had vanished but  because the snow had melted I was unable to tell if it was the Badger that had been there or not.
The cast iron Frog is quite heavy but in the past I've seen the Squirrel push the top section off, for all his effort though he only takes one peanut at a time and when he does go back for more peanuts he finds that the Pigeons have been and scoffed the rest!
Was it the Badger or the Squirrel, who knows but at least one of them had a treat

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1467 on: February 04, 2019, 05:14:11 pm »
Great post............ :)

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #1468 on: February 08, 2019, 04:37:20 pm »
Who knew that Great Orme Goats could climb up trees?

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1469 on: February 08, 2019, 05:14:27 pm »
Your kidding.....................  ;)