Author Topic: Local Wildlife  (Read 527927 times)

Offline DVT

• Management board member
Re: Local Wildlife
« Reply #1440 on: August 03, 2018, 03:41:38 pm »
Female gatekeeper seen in our garden this morning!

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1441 on: August 03, 2018, 05:44:57 pm »
Nice photo DVT,  you're lucky to see such a variety of Butterflies  at home and in Bodnant.      All I've seen in my garden this year are white butterflies although another variety did come in but flew off before I could identify it.

Offline BrianP

« Reply #1442 on: August 03, 2018, 11:34:35 pm »
You did well to to find a Gatekeeper with its wings open. Everyone I tried to photograph kept its wings closed.

Offline DVT

« Reply #1443 on: August 04, 2018, 09:17:15 am »
Yes, it kept still for quite a while.  It has a small piece missing at the top corner of right wing so has been in the wars somewhere!  Getting in close with a camera phone usually results in them flitting off before I can get them in focus!

Offline DVT

« Reply #1444 on: August 04, 2018, 04:14:31 pm »
Another gatekeeper posed nicely this morning, plus a threatening looking red admiral who was not very co-operative, unlike the shelled creature who couldn't get away quickly.

Offline DVT

« Reply #1445 on: August 04, 2018, 04:15:32 pm »
Pond-dipping in Bodnant this next week - that's going to be fun!

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1446 on: August 04, 2018, 06:39:06 pm »
We had a walk on the Carneddau today and saw some of the wild ponies that graze on the moorland

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #1447 on: August 04, 2018, 08:14:59 pm »
DVT and Hugo, excellent photo's, .......... :)     :)

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1448 on: August 16, 2018, 04:44:04 pm »
Unfortunately we witnessed one of our local Wood pigeons being run over, I went to pick it up for disposal, but found it alive and despite looking a mess, still quite strong, I put it in a box in the garage overnight, with no great expectations, however it survived , but now we needed more advice, some friends recommended "Broken Wings" who were exceptionally helpful, they arranged a pick up, but I am sorry to say the injuries were too severe.

The lady I spoke to deals mainly with pigeons, but can advise on other similar matters.  Tel.   07709 245976

Interesting extract from their web page plus advice.......
"This is a difficult and emotive subject and often the topic of much debate. There is a feeling, amongst the public and some wildlife rescuers, that a broken wing is automatically reason for a bird to be euthanased. Some believe a broken wing can never be fixed and that a bird which cannot fly will automatically be miserable. We feel that such generalisations are dangerous and have ended many lives prematurely and unnecessarily."
       MORE    http://helpwildlife.co.uk/sick-or-injured-wildlife/brokenwings/

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #1449 on: August 16, 2018, 09:44:17 pm »
Unfortunately we witnessed one of our local Wood pigeons being run over, I went to pick it up for disposal, but found it alive and despite looking a mess, still quite strong, I put it in a box in the garage overnight, with no great expectations, however it survived , but now we needed more advice, some friends recommended "Broken Wings" who were exceptionally helpful, they arranged a pick up, but I am sorry to say the injuries were too severe.

The lady I spoke to deals mainly with pigeons, but can advise on other similar matters.  Tel.   07709 245976

Interesting extract from their web page plus advice.......
"This is a difficult and emotive subject and often the topic of much debate. There is a feeling, amongst the public and some wildlife rescuers, that a broken wing is automatically reason for a bird to be euthanased. Some believe a broken wing can never be fixed and that a bird which cannot fly will automatically be miserable. We feel that such generalisations are dangerous and have ended many lives prematurely and unnecessarily."
       MORE    http://helpwildlife.co.uk/sick-or-injured-wildlife/brokenwings/

Andy Jones, Merddin Emrys, will be crushed to hear this.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1450 on: August 17, 2018, 07:57:41 am »
Poor bird 😪
We have a few pigeons that can't fly, perfectly happy in the aviary,  one came from Fester 7 years ago, still fit as a fiddle and very happy!
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline hollins

« Reply #1451 on: August 17, 2018, 08:43:53 am »
There was a happier outcome for this poor little swallow that flew into our garage window and concussed itself. Glad to say after a cuddle with Mr H it revived and flew away again.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1452 on: August 17, 2018, 12:16:33 pm »
Poor bird 😪
We have a few pigeons that can't fly, perfectly happy in the aviary,  one came from Fester 7 years ago, still fit as a fiddle and very happy!

ME, I nearly got in touch with you, for some advice, but tried the rescue people mentioned above first, who turned out to be very helpful, despite the outcome, but it's nice to know that you and others out there, try a little harder.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #1453 on: August 17, 2018, 06:42:57 pm »
All the pet birds I have had in the past have to go through the ritual of flying into glass windows or walls at some stage.
It’s harrowing when it happens, but they never seem to properly injure themselves.  They just look a bit perturbed for a minute or two.
This is Oliver, I’ve been looking after him for a few weeks, he’s been pretty badly neglected by his owner for the last 18 years.
Vicious and wary when he first arrived at mine, but now as you can see, his inherent tameness seems to be slowly resurfacing.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2018, 08:00:01 pm by Ian »
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1454 on: August 17, 2018, 07:37:47 pm »
Looks great, and it should'nt be to long before he is on his feet......  ;)