Author Topic: Local Wildlife  (Read 527894 times)

Offline DVT

• Management board member
Re: Local Wildlife
« Reply #1425 on: June 22, 2018, 02:17:33 pm »
Here's another one, on our gate this morning - nearest I can find in my books is the Mother Shipton moth ... anyone know for sure?

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #1426 on: June 22, 2018, 09:28:43 pm »
https://butterfly-conservation.org/51-1345/dusky-sallow.html.

Just had a bit of a Google and wondered if this is your moth. It seems lighter in colour than Mother  Shipton.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline DVT

« Reply #1427 on: June 23, 2018, 08:50:32 am »
Thanks for that - it could be.  It was unusual pattern on  the wings that I was trying (unsuccessfully) to find.  The favoured habitat described doesn't match my garden, but it did appear to be a little bit lost!  I moved it from our gate and put it into a clematis growing up the fence, not seen it since.  I think we get so many variations of nature's wonders that it proves difficult to positively identify!

On a slightly different note - where are all the butterflies this year? - saw a number of small blue ones when I was on the West Shore end of Marine Drive marshalling the Three Castles a couple of weeks ago, but all I've seen in my two days a week in Bodnant are speckled woods, and not many of them.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #1428 on: June 23, 2018, 11:21:37 am »
Now you mention it, I haven't seen many either. We usually get a few on the Buddleia, but it hasn't flowered yet, so I shall have to wait and see. Flies and Wasps yes they are all over.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #1429 on: June 24, 2018, 11:39:20 pm »
I’m getting millions of bees in our garden, they seem to love any flowers which are purple.
However, few if any butterflies.   
Is it too early for them?
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Online Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #1430 on: June 25, 2018, 07:55:10 am »
"Dr Nigel Raine and Professor Lars Chittka at Queen Mary, University of London found that there is a clear advantage to bees that start out life primed for purple.

"The purple flowers are more rewarding," says Raine.

By rewarding, he means they are unusually nectar-rich. Similar colour preferences are found, but not previously explained, in several other bumblebee species from Asia, Europe and North America, Raine says."
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline DVT

« Reply #1431 on: June 25, 2018, 08:13:39 am »
Interesting info, Ian.

I have noticed bumble bees in our garden favour one flower - some will just visit buttercups and some will just visit daisies - they don't mix!

Dester - you could well be correct on it being a bit early for butterflies, but I've not seen any caterpillars either!  Last year in Bodnant red admirals were often seen, but not one so far this year by me.

Online Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #1432 on: June 25, 2018, 09:12:37 am »
In my apiarist days many moons ago, a swarm occurred and the bees following that queen all congregated on a blue hillman minx.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1433 on: June 26, 2018, 10:33:15 pm »
It was hot on the Carneddau when we had a walk there today and old Uncle Albert inadvertently disturbed some Carneddau ponies that were having a drink in a stream that we had to go across

Offline DVT

« Reply #1434 on: June 27, 2018, 08:09:20 pm »
Good news on the butterfly front - although I was only in Bodnant for the afternoon today I saw more butterflies than I've seen all year - not sure what they were though, suspect meadow browns, but there also a couple of the white ones.  Back tomorrow so will try and get closer look.

We are over-run with bright blue damsel flies and quite a number of dragon flies.  Also seen, but only one, a d'moiselle damsel fly - the only damsel fly with coloured wings - irridescent blue sorry about poor quality of photo - limit of zoom, cropped and it wouldn't stay still!

The sun is bringing them out (along with the horse-flies!).

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1435 on: July 02, 2018, 06:06:49 pm »
Huge Minke Whale spotted off South Stack Holyhead on a fishing trip   

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/incredible-up-close-personal-footage-14854521

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #1436 on: July 02, 2018, 11:19:48 pm »
Finally, there are loads of butterflies around now, the Orme is full of them.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #1437 on: July 16, 2018, 04:01:53 pm »
Some well intentioned information seems to be causing problems......

A Facebook post which claiming to from Sir David Attenborough urging people to leave sugar water out for struggling bees has been revealed as fake.
The advice, which seemingly came from the environmentalists page, was unwittingly shared by millions in good faith that the act of kindness will help the insects.

“This time of year bees can often look like they are dying or dead, however, they’re far from it. Bees can become tired and they simply don’t have enough energy to return to the hive which can often result in being swept away.

However the BBC have now been forced to step in and confirm the advice did not come from Sir David Attenborough - and it could even cause harm to the already-waning bee population.

More..... https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/bees-water-sugar-fake-news-14913480

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #1438 on: August 02, 2018, 06:50:48 pm »
My OH. has had to make a quick exit from the garden, flying ants are appearing from everywhere, even cracks in the pavement, the seagulls are having a feast on the Oval, just waiting for the airborne frenzy to begin.

Offline DVT

« Reply #1439 on: August 02, 2018, 10:21:04 pm »
Pleased to say that I've seen more butterflies than the last few weeks today - including Red Admiral, Tortoiseshell, Peacock, Common Blue (male and female) and Speckled Wood along with many white ones ... that was in Bodnant Garden where the spectacular wild flower garden attracted many.  Couldn't get them to stay still for photos though!