Author Topic: Local Wildlife  (Read 527579 times)

Offline Ian

• Administrator
Re: Local Wildlife
« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2010, 07:41:43 am »
They tend to frequent the hilltops along the Conwy Valley, Fester. They're certainly large and extremely impressive as they glide over.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Trojan

« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2010, 02:56:33 am »
A Lurcher taking a scenic ride in Llandudno's famous Cabinlift

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2010, 05:19:11 pm »
I hope Charlie enjoyed the scenic views .... did he pay his £7 return fare?  I hope not!

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Trojan

« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2010, 07:50:44 pm »
I hope Charlie enjoyed the scenic views .... did he pay his £7 return fare?  I hope not!

He did enjoy looking down on his donkey friends in the fields below.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2010, 11:27:57 pm »
a couple of pics of Arnie who is a wild pigeon but very friendly  D)

A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Yorkie

« Reply #35 on: November 27, 2010, 07:50:48 am »
Cor, mate, we got fasends of them in Trafalgar Square.  Mi ol' mucker Nelson, wot lorst an eye, an' an arm takes care of the little blighters.    :laugh:

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #36 on: November 27, 2010, 06:17:51 pm »
Cor, mate, we got fasends of them in Trafalgar Square.  Mi ol' mucker Nelson, wot lorst an eye, an' an arm takes care of the little blighters.    :laugh:

shame about the nasty ken livingstone  :rage:

http://www.savethepigeons.org/index.html
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #37 on: November 30, 2010, 02:44:28 pm »
We had quite a bit of snow today but it must have happened after 4.00 am as there hadn't been any overnight when I looked out at that time.     The only foot prints in the snow were those of the birds and squirrels until I let out my dog and his big paw prints are everywhere!
The weather conditions have deteriorated so I bought another fat ball feeder to help the birds out and it's nice to watch them feeding even if it's from the warmth of my house.

Offline Paddy

« Reply #38 on: November 30, 2010, 05:06:44 pm »
I've had a Robin in my garden for the last three mornings. It's a very pretty little thing, I wonder if it's the same one each time.

Offline Quiggs

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #39 on: November 30, 2010, 05:15:18 pm »
More than likely, they're very territorial, I once made a cardboard cutout of a robin and put it outside, the resident Robin went berserk and pecked until it was unrecognisable
Dictum Meum Pactum

Offline Paddy

« Reply #40 on: November 30, 2010, 06:27:08 pm »
More than likely, they're very territorial, I once made a cardboard cutout of a robin and put it outside, the resident Robin went berserk and pecked until it was unrecognisable

Quiggs, you've shattered my illusions of the little fella. I wonder if that's why my "lady that does" hasn't turned up for a few days!

Offline Quiggs

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #41 on: November 30, 2010, 06:39:14 pm »
I'm not familiar with 'Lady that does'? but yes the Robin will chase others from his territory, I have one outside my flat, he's forever chasing others away, but there are so many Sparrows, Blue Tits, Chaffinch, Coal Tits and Starlings that he has to give up in the end.
Dictum Meum Pactum

Offline Hugo

« Reply #42 on: December 02, 2010, 10:41:16 am »
We had no snow last night but the frozen snow is still on the ground and the wind chill is really bad.  I made sure that all the bird foot was topped up because they are struggling to find food and warmth at this moment.   A Great Spotted Woodpecker visited yesterday and was eating the peanuts for about 10 minutes which was nice to watch.
I noticed last night that the Badgers had been near the house as their footprints were quite clear and you could make out the length of their nails in the snow.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #43 on: December 10, 2010, 03:32:35 pm »
I looked out onto my back garden today and saw  that the smaller bird table was missing.  The table has a fat ball holder tied to the top of it and I found the bird table at the top of the garden minus the fat ball feeder.
The Badgers must have dragged the table up the garden and then somehow detached the fat ball feeder and took  it away somewhere.
So it's a trip to the Market on Saturday for another Fat Ball feeder!

Offline Paddy

« Reply #44 on: December 10, 2010, 07:09:34 pm »
I'm not familiar with 'Lady that does'?

Quiggs, it's a term for smene who does bits of dusting, hoovering etc.

I hadn't seen my Robin for a few days which was a bit disappointing but while the cold snap was on I thought I'd make an effort to provide some food for the birds.  I don't have bird food in the house and all I could think of was to pour a little pile of Alpen on to the patio table. I came home for a cuppa at lunch time and was chuffed to see Robin tucking in to a nice Swiss breakfast.

I'll try to get some pics if he returns.