Author Topic: Local Wildlife  (Read 528073 times)

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
Local Wildlife
« on: September 06, 2010, 06:15:00 pm »

Found this little chap wandering across the lawn on Saturday. By the time I had popped inside to get the camera he had nearly disappeared in a border.

Hope he "fattens up" a bit to survive the winter! Dog food is recommended.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2010, 06:16:39 pm by Bellringer »

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: Local Wildlife
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2010, 06:17:07 pm »
You might see a few of those about, Stan. The lady that runs Conwy Hedgehog Rescue lives not too far from you and they get released back into the local woods when they are rehabilitated.

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2010, 07:23:12 pm »
My next door neighbour used to have families of hedgehogs in her garden years ago but I haven't seen any since the Badgers started to make a regular appearance. 
That lady in the Junction is doing a great job looking after the hedgehogs and has been in the local papers about her work with them.   :)

Offline Hugo

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2010, 07:46:06 pm »
It was a warm evening the other night so I had the window open but the Badgers were outside foraging for food and kept me awake with their high pitched noises. I shut the window but then couldn't get back to sleep again. >:(

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2010, 11:48:01 pm »
I had some new decking and a staircase installed in my garden (to reach the higher parts of my garden on the rockface of the Gt Orme)

Dave R said its probably visisible from space!

But the birds seem to like it, because today I had a what I can only describe as a SWARM of blue-tits all over the handrails ...and 2 pairs of red-crested woodpeckers were tapping at the newel posts !

Squirrels are also enjoying running up and down the staircase ...
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2010, 11:06:40 am »
 :o   Blue tits pecking all the paint off our outside buildings. My OH redid the paint last week---- more patches off all ready. Same with the back gate-- no stain left on the top part again.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2010, 04:18:54 pm »
Just before I let our puppy out late last night I put the security lights on just to make sure that the Badgers were not about.
When the puppy was let out he shot up the garden like a rocket because there was a small dark coloured Fox behind our middle border which I hadn't noticed. Luckily the Fox made his escape through a gap in the hedge.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2010, 12:43:42 pm »
I've just come home after taking my dog out for his walk and on the walk four adult pheasants popped out of my neighbours front garden and when they saw us they flew off in the direction of the woods.
We have had a pheasant in our back garden before but that was some time ago as was a Corncrake that paid us a visit

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2010, 01:04:03 pm »
There's probably a pheasant rearing coop near you. They'll be getting the birds fed up for the shooting season. 
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2010, 04:36:22 pm »
We live miles many away from the nearest shoot so that's why it was so unusual to see four together. It looked like they were four hen pheasants too although I only had a brief sight of them before they flew off.

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2010, 05:26:46 pm »
We are again under attack from herons - well our garden pond is. We are having to reinforce the defences even more having found one heron just walking on the netting covering the pond - the whole thing is becoming a fortress!

Yorkie

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2010, 07:11:15 pm »
Ring your bell that should get rid of them!   L0L   _))*

Offline TheMedz

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2010, 09:36:01 pm »
In our last house a plastic heron seemed to scare herons off our neighbours pond. Our cats ignored them and would often be seen pawing at the water trying to get at the Koi but it kept the herons away.

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2010, 09:43:02 pm »
The one on the left in my pic is a plastic one but the real ones take not the slightest notice of him.

Nice idea Yorkie but I don't think the neighbours would be too happy!

Offline TheMedz

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2010, 10:18:31 pm »
We Inherited a Black Elder tree and couple of other really colourful shrubs in the garden when we moved in last year.Absolutely fabulous specimen and fortunately ithey seems to attract all the smaller species of bird without harbouring the usual jackdwaw and pigeons. There is however one four legged issue.