Author Topic: Art & Crafts  (Read 77231 times)

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
Re: Art
« Reply #60 on: June 26, 2013, 04:03:07 pm »
I got the pattern from a book which I bought in the Works.

All you do is cast on 36 stitches of double knitting wool on 5mm needles.
Knit one row
purl one row
K2 tog, yarn over needle to end.(  Picot Row ).
S Stitch for 3 rows.
Knit 2 tog to end
s st for 3 rows.
K 2 tog to end
Purl 1 row.
run remainder of yarn through left over stitches.
Sew side seam to make a circle
Turn over and sew down the round edge to make the picot.

The actual pattern made a slightly bigger flower, so I adapted it, so I don't think that I am infringing any copyright !!

The centre can be made with a button or a bit of embroidery.

In the book there are 3 kinds of flowers, the first I tried-- had it been white , would have been a dead ringer for a cauliflower, so I abandoned that ! _))*

My usual contribution for the Children's Hospice are what you see in the attached photo. The cards are hand made ( by me) with Welsh or English greetings and sell in the shop for £1 each. Over the last years I must have made and sold hundreds, so I thought that I would have a change and make flowers !

Scraps of wool would be gratefully received, flowers too Hollins. If you are in Llandudno you could drop them at the shop (Ty Gobaith) in Lloyd Street. Thankyou.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline hollins

« Reply #61 on: June 26, 2013, 04:59:57 pm »
Nemesis, the cards look lovely, too cheap at £1!
I have just tried a flower. Should there be 2 rows of holes, one on the edge and one below?

Offline hollins

« Reply #62 on: June 26, 2013, 06:15:50 pm »
I have done it again Nemesis and I think it is like yours now. I did the K2tog yon row and next 3 rows twice.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #63 on: June 26, 2013, 06:37:59 pm »
Hmmm... looks like you should get a slot on Dave's website or Fester's emporium. N:-)  Very impressive work.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

craigollerton

« Reply #64 on: June 26, 2013, 07:36:03 pm »
I like them all!  They are very novel and as far as I can tell, an original concept.  Keep 'em coming.
Quick question, Craig, how tall is the figure?  I am presuming he is a standard size for all the sculptures.
 ££$

Thanks Yorkie,

The figures and the pieces themselves are never more than say 3 or 4 inches tall usually but depending on the environment can be several inches across, their sizes are well suited to display in a glass cabinet or on a mantelpiece.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #65 on: June 26, 2013, 09:25:47 pm »
That looks super Hollins--- I think experimentation is the main thing with this. Some of mine have turned out more curved than others-- some lay flat and others don't seem to. I think the yarn makes a difference.

Tonight I have been fiddling trying to put a contrasting edge in that awful bobbly wool ( looks like a row of cotton buds) and have nearly driven myself mad ( well madder than I am) trying to get them even.

Thanks for the compliment Ian.

The cards, I know are cheaper than some of the hand made ones around, but I do try to beg bits from everyone to make them. I have a very generous guest who comes from Leeds and brings me bagfuls of her 'leftovers'. It is a great help.

Trouble is that over the years I have dabbled with so many different crafts that I have an awful lot of 'stuff' squirrelled away. I can usually find anything someone needs to borrow !!!!

Offline hollins

« Reply #66 on: June 28, 2013, 09:24:29 pm »
I've got my mum doing them as well Nemesis. How many do you put on each bag?

Offline suepp

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #67 on: June 28, 2013, 09:52:25 pm »
I haven't had a go at the pattern yet, but have got lots of scraps to use on my collection of bags! I collect old knitting patterns and this photo is of a teacosy I made from one of them!

Offline hollins

« Reply #68 on: June 29, 2013, 06:57:08 am »
Great!
Do you collect knitting patterns from any particular era?

Ian or Dave.......Could this topic be called Art and Crafts do you think?

Offline Ian

• Administrator
Re: Art & Crafts
« Reply #69 on: June 29, 2013, 07:39:27 am »
Your wish is my command, oh extremely talented ones...
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #70 on: June 29, 2013, 09:59:53 am »
Wow Hollins, you have been busy!

Our deputy manageress and her friend do the 'sewing on' of the flowers, depending on size they usually put one or two. Sometimes they just put on decorative buttons. Over the last couple of years I have decorated alot for them, near Christmas, with glued on felt shapes of robins, doves, trees, penguins, Santas etc and near Easter with rabbits, eggs etc. The logo for Ty Gobaith/Hope House is a small red house, so I often did some with little felt ones on. The bags are jute and sell at £2.00 each for plain ones and £2.50 for decorated ones.

People bought them, especially near Christmas, to fill with small gifts for friends and family, presents within a present ! At times parts of our house were full of bags waiting for the glue to dry on the felt.

Last night I tried reversing the turning on the picot edge of the flower and making a raised welt all round-- it looked different, if a little strange.

Suepp-- Your tea cosy looks really good--- it is amazing how many times people in the shop ask for them. Please pass on any spares !!

We also have some ladies who knit beautiful baby jackets-- the real old fashioned matinee jackets, so delicate and pretty and donate them to us to sell. Also some of those shaggy scarves are given occasionally.

It seems that alot of ladies love to knit and have no outlet for their pretty goods, so are happy to do them.

craigollerton

« Reply #71 on: June 29, 2013, 10:00:16 am »
A piece I finished quite recently...

Entitled: Chwarae
Copyright (C) Craig Ollerton

craigollerton

« Reply #72 on: June 29, 2013, 10:08:52 am »
Great!
Do you collect knitting patterns from any particular era?

Ian or Dave.......Could this topic be called Art and Crafts do you think?

As the topic has shifted to encompass craft also. I do a lot of craft besides my works of art. One line of things I make are these shabby chic vintage signs, such as this 'Tin Can Telephone Company' wall mounted phone.

Copyright (C) Craig Ollerton.

Offline hollins

« Reply #73 on: June 29, 2013, 10:20:05 am »
Would crochet ones be any use Nemesis?

craigollerton

« Reply #74 on: June 29, 2013, 10:25:37 am »
Another sign of my own design, 'Jones Farm'.

Copyright (C) Craig Ollerton