Author Topic: Art & Crafts  (Read 77198 times)

craigollerton

Re: Art
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2013, 11:31:11 am »
Another piece which couples nicely with 'Hel Crancod' above, is this piece which I made a few months ago...

Entitled: Innnocence Washed Away with The Tide
Copyright (C) Craig Ollerton

The title captures the essence of a young boy growing up in a seaside town (me), those happy days spent building sandcastles on the beach with no care in the world, which over time, those days all but seem to disappear with adulthood.

Offline Trojan

« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2013, 01:52:18 pm »
 :-X

craigollerton

« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2013, 10:12:05 pm »
Take it not many have taken up art for a hobby then???? anyone?  _))*

Offline Mikethewatch

« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2013, 10:16:12 pm »
Looks more like model making than art to be honest Craig, but what do I know?

craigollerton

« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2013, 10:38:19 pm »
I'm perhaps bordering more on craft/art than art in the art sense, (the subject of defining art a controversial subject) sure you would agree Mike, but I generally justify my work as art for it contains meaning of some kind. My trademark clay pieces tend to be minimalist, yet I choose to make the environments more detailed but slightly rough around the edges. My work is generally suggestive in the sense that they imply emotions, thoughts, events, relationships. Some of my other work I have focused on basic human instincts, beliefs, our ancestral past, the evolution of man, and man’s material obsessions.

craigollerton

« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2013, 10:47:42 pm »
This is one of my earlier pieces, having mentioned primitive man and mans material obsessions above, this piece I feel has a nice connection with the Great Orme and prehistoric mining! What do you think?

Entitled: The Fool

Offline romanjohn

« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2013, 01:40:37 am »
Hi craigollerton  I. am a member of a local model boat club in portsmouth i     always  think     that when  you are using your hands you are creating an art form be boats pottery painting gardening to the wife making cakes in the kitchen. I showed my daughter your work she thought your work was very  good the figures capture everthing.keep going Mate great work. I might put some of my boats on that i have built.   goodnight   Romanjohn                                         

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2013, 07:37:24 am »
This is one of my earlier pieces, having mentioned primitive man and mans material obsessions above, this piece I feel has a nice connection with the Great Orme and prehistoric mining! What do you think?

Entitled: The Fool

Why is he vomiting on that rock? Looks like Fester after too many  Z**

Offline andyCYD

« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2013, 07:40:49 am »
My wife gives drawing lessons in Llandudno. She has a website http://pencilpot.co.uk/

A couple of her pictures below.

craigollerton

« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2013, 08:51:23 am »
Now this thread is moving! They're great Andy, love the one in the middle and one looking toward Deganwy. Keep sharing, love seeing local art works.

craigollerton

« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2013, 08:56:26 am »
Hi craigollerton  I. am a member of a local model boat club in portsmouth i     always  think     that when  you are using your hands you are creating an art form be boats pottery painting gardening to the wife making cakes in the kitchen. I showed my daughter your work she thought your work was very  good the figures capture everthing.keep going Mate great work. I might put some of my boats on that i have built.   goodnight   Romanjohn                                         

Hi Romanjohn,

You must have a lot of patience, with model boat building. I could use some of my skills for modelling, but i'm a little too fluid in my construction and measure very little. I know there's a thread for model aircraft, so why not boats 'Dave' (querying the mod)??? Will see what else I can share with you :)

craigollerton

« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2013, 09:08:11 am »
In my pursuit of using local and welsh materials, this piece was made entirely from slate, apart from a few adhesives that is. Called 'Catref' Within this piece.

I have tried to show mans relationship with our home, our safe haven of shelter, warmth and light, our little bit of space. No matter how glamorous or dull our homes look from the outside, this raw assembly is a reminder of our insecurities and primitive roots to build and aspire to something we depend on in our lives so much. Made from welsh slate, a cold and harsh material, yet it's strength is dependable.

Entitled: 'Catref', welsh meaning Home

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2013, 09:53:02 am »
That hut must have taken some doing, looks good.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2013, 10:03:46 am »
That hut would be great on a garden railway (which I still haven't started! )
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

craigollerton

« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2013, 10:18:00 am »
That hut must have taken some doing, looks good.

Cheers Dave, probably the most difficult piece I have made to date. I got the idea from abandoned sheep farmer dwellings you see scattered in the remotest parts of Snowdonia. I guess they were built as shelter to take a battering from the worst of the weather.