Author Topic: Art & Crafts  (Read 77180 times)

Offline hollins

• Management board member
Art & Crafts
« on: April 26, 2011, 04:46:14 pm »
My favourite hobby is crochet. Here are a few things I made recently.

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
Re: Crochet
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2011, 04:53:44 pm »
The colours you use are really nice, I especially like the first pic,  I've never tried crochet.  I used to do a lot of embroidery but haven't picked it up again in yonks.
Only hindsight has 20/20 vision
Angiegram - A romantic notion derived from the more mundane truth.

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2011, 06:18:21 pm »
Those are lovely Hollins, I can crotchet, but only simple things--I managed a couple of hats this winter, but my Grandma was  wonderful, she did very fine work--mats and antimacassars to name a couple. Can you tat as well? One thing I have never mastered--it keeps on unravelling. :(
Wait for it now :-I feel it in my waters:-  What are antimacassars? someone is bound to never have heard of them . ;D
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline hollins

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2011, 06:27:11 pm »
I can't do tatting but I also do a lot of knitting. I only used to do knitting but after September 11 knitting was banned on flights so I got someone to teach me how to crochet. I am pleased I learnt because it is nice to have some variation.
I taught my mum how to crochet when she was 80!

Yes, I am afraid I am old enough to know what antimaccassar's are.

Thanks to you and Pendragon for the kind comments.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2011, 06:28:20 pm »
We had them on the backs of our chairs to keep my Father and Brother's Brylcream off the upholstery!  

Just as a matter of interest when I was young I was taught to knit, embroider and crochet and even make rag rugs!   My Mother was a seamstress and brilliant with such handicrafts and these activities managed to keep us kids occupied during the dark Wartime evenings.  Oh those Fair Isle jumpers she used to knit!    ;D

In our spare room I even have my trusty Jone's sewing machine, so alter my own clothes when needed.
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline suepp

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2011, 06:29:38 pm »
these are lovely I really  like the lilac shawl, I can only do granny squares if someone starts me off! I'm currently knitting some Bunting triangles for a party, I've always got some  knitting on the go.

These skills seem to be undergoing a revival at the moment, there are some lovely patterns and yarns around

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2011, 06:34:08 pm »
The zig zag cushions are great!

Offline hollins

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2011, 12:27:31 pm »
I thought someone might like this crochet pattern for a crochet scarf. I have been making variations for xmas presents.
Below is the basic pattern for a long thin scarf 50 circles long.
The shawl at the back was made 20 circles wide and then repeated widthways.
The beige one has little crochet flowers sewn on at intervals afterwards.
The purple one is in a thicker aran weight yarn, very quick to make.
The red and green one is 7 rows of circles worked along the length of the scarf and then edged with a row across the ends.

Foundation row:
Ch6, 1Htr in 3rd ch from hook (ring made) (ch8, 1htr in 3rd ring from hook) 49 times, ch3. (50 rings).

Row 1: Miss 3ch, *work (4tr, ch1, 4tr) in next ring, miss 2ch, sl st in next ch, miss 2ch; repeat from * across to last ch, sl st in last ch, turn to work across opposite side of foundation row, miss 2ch, repeat from * across, join with sl st in last ch of foundation row. (50 circles).
Fasten off.

Foundation row: Work as for first strip.

Round 1: Miss 3ch, *work (4tr, ch1, 4tr) in next ring, miss 2ch, sl st in next ch, miss 2ch; repeat from * across to last ch, sl st in last ch, then turn to work across opposite side of foundation row, miss 2ch, * work (4tr, sl st in ch 1 space on corresponding circle of previously worked strip, 4tr) in next ring, miss 2ch, sl st in next ch, miss 2ch; repeat from * across to last ch, sl st in last ch of foundation row. (50 circles).
Fasten off.

Work as for second strip, joining each to the previously worked strip.
Continue until required width.

The 50 circles makes a scarf of a suitable length using a 4ply yarn.
The length can be adjusted easily, just make less circles with a thicker yarn.

Offline hollins

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2012, 01:42:40 pm »

Offline Ludo

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2012, 01:58:54 pm »
Interesting Hollins - thanks for this. I saw an article recently about Olek  - she had made crochet camo pattern suits for Antony Gormley's amazing metal figures on Crosby beach. I thought they looked fantastic - he loved them too!. He said they usually have suits of barnacles so it was a pleasant surprise to see them appear in such cool gear over night....
Time flies like an arrow - fruit flies like a banana

Offline hollins

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2012, 02:07:52 pm »
There is a photo of the Anthony project in this article. I hope this link goes straight to it.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/culturepicturegalleries/9324223/Crochet-Olek-artist-covers-objects-and-people-in-wool.html?frame=2245078

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2012, 08:49:54 pm »
   OOOhhh Hollins my lovely scone baker

Just spotted the thread title, so, a flash of inspiration.   Ive got a fair stretch of land up the Orme doing nothing, this might be an idea, theres nowhere that I know of in Llandudno where it can be played.

Two or three computer clicks later           and I realise that I thnk I've got the wrong end of the crochet stick.    Mike

Offline hollins

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2012, 09:00:43 pm »
O'h Mike, you are so funny!
I knew when I first read your hysterically funny tale about  the menu writng/Barclays job that you had a great sense of humour.

craigollerton

Art & Crafts
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2013, 02:55:54 pm »
Hi Dave, I've not spotted an 'Art' topic, under the hobbies and interests section, hope you don't mind me kickstarting one. Sure I can contribute something here.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2013, 07:38:40 am by Ian »

craigollerton

Re: Art
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2013, 03:02:32 pm »
Any local artists in the forum then? :) be great to see some of your work.

I'll kick start things with my latest piece which I finished this morning. Kinda reminiscent of me growing up in Llandudno, and the many happy days I spent crabbing on the beach.

Entitled: Hel Crancod, welsh translates to 'Crabbing' of course :)
Copyright (C) by Craig Ollerton.