Author Topic: Planning issues in TTT area  (Read 8147 times)

Offline rhos.rover

Re: Right to Light and Conwy Planning
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2013, 11:46:31 pm »
Yep, that’s about where ‘Ridge Cottage’ is, Hugo. It’s a lovely house. It would be a shame if something unsuited was build next door to it. I think its number 8 or 10. I was told that two houses in penrhos road were built by the same person. I’d love to know who that was; as I walk past them to see my friend and think they are fine properties.
The whole road is pleasant, and nothing like the usual red brick buildings expected of Colwyn’s Victorian/Edwardian build.
I know the locals are against more flats and apartments, as they have more than enough around them already. I wish more people like those in his road took action against developers. With landlords that fill their buildings with easy-pay state problems and ‘luxury’ apartments that no locals can afford, we will be doomed.

As I say, I will take a few pics. Unless Dave R gets there first... :D

Offline Ian

• Administrator
Planning issues in TTT area
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2013, 08:48:48 am »
Discussions about planning-related issues
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline rhos.rover

Re: Planning issues in TTT area
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2013, 10:23:22 pm »
It’s a coincidence you posted on this page Ian. I was going to post on this topic again this week, with more information on the planning issues in Penrhos Road.

The land is indeed owned by Mr Lynch. He also owns the Rothesay Hotel and has granted permission to demolish and build an apartment block there. He was also responsible for both apartment blocks either side of the Toad hall.

Nemesis is quite right. The grade 2 listed building, Ridge Cottage was built, owned and lived in by Mr Sidney Colwyn Foulkes. The house next-door was also built by the same gentleman. Apparently, Ridge Cottage is undergoing restoration by its owners, and the house is almost original to the day it was built. Each past owner has a book of photographs showing the house and original owner, which has to be passed to the next owner and preserved with the house. When I get the time, I will pluck up the courage to knock on the door and ask if I can photograph the photos in the book. I’m sure someone apart from me will find them of some interest?     

Anyway, since my initial posting regarding the site on the car park behind Stafford house in Penrhos Road, the application was rejected during a Planning Hearing, and again in the second ‘cooling down’ Hearing. I am told that although CCBC planning Officers were all in favour of Granting Permission in both Hearings, only two Planning Committee Members voted for the building. Apparently this was because the building “would not be out of keeping” and “something will have to be built there”. Neither Councillor mentioned the effects this building would have on the poor residents in Seacrest…

Luckily, the remaining Councillors did agree with objectors and there were a lot of questions raised about the light report and the proposed effects the building will cause to those living along side it.

Mr Lynch has now filed an Appeal with the Welsh Assembly. A planning Inspector is now viewing the case (for the third time) and there will be a Hearing on June 25th. 

Lastly, the planning application for the land next to Ridge Cottage is still in the hands of CCBC Planning Officers, who are (no doubt) trying to find a way a large modern block can be built beside Ridge Cottage, without causing outrage from locals.

When I find out more, I will post it here. 

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2013, 08:13:11 am »
Thanks, RR;  I think several people will enjoy any pics you might be able to get.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2013, 08:33:22 am »
Thanks for the info RR-- I for one would be interested in the photos , if you were allowed to publish them.

As for a modern block beside Ridge Cottage-- look what happened with the land at the corner of Abbey Road/ Tudno Street/ Water Street in Llandudno----- A huge block of modern flats-- certainly not in keeping.  AND in a Conservation area!
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2013, 09:57:07 am »
It was not a Conservation area when those flats were approved/built.

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2013, 10:04:54 am »
More's the pity ! ;D
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.