Author Topic: Planning issues in TTT area  (Read 8160 times)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Planning issues in TTT area
« on: April 25, 2011, 07:54:06 pm »
What do you think about the current proposals to designate part of Bodafon Fields for development? Should it remain all as 'green belt'? Would you like to see some sort of tourist attraction to bring in more visitors?

All views are welcome.  :)

Offline Yorkie

Re: Have Your Say: Bodafon Fields Development
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2011, 08:43:10 pm »
The area already has a Tourist attraction in the form of the Farm.  I am sure given the incentive this could be developed further without taking away the wedge of green between Llandudno and Craigside.  We certainly do not need more housing along the front that will only be for sale to those who can afford the prices for the marvellous sea view.

Just a pity that the protest march last Saturday had such a small following after all the hot air at the public meeting!
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2011, 09:03:50 pm »
I certainly wouldn't want to see it used for housing.

It doesnt look to me as though the Farm is a great success as a tourist attraction (judging by the state of it) and the fields bordering the Prom are already in near constant use for camping/events etc. Maybe the fields could be 'developed' into a proper Showground and have more events on them on a regular basis?

I don't have firm opinions (apart from it not being used for housing), just throwing out some ideas really.  :)

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2011, 09:44:45 pm »
DaveR expresses my feelings. Definately no housing, nor a large theme park (as was proposed a few years ago) After that--open to offers

Offline Trojan

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2011, 10:28:07 pm »
DaveR expresses my feelings. Definately no housing, nor a large theme park (as was proposed a few years ago) After that--open to offers

It would make a great golf course.  :golf:

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2011, 10:44:12 pm »
Didn't I read in the NWN that part of Bodafon Fields is about to become a golf driving range?   I like that idea.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2011, 07:39:57 am »
 :roll: Cycling on the prom,windfarms and Bodafon fields this will send our town councillors into hiding.The Craigside mafia are the major objectors here and lets be honest any of us with fields in front of our houses would object,but if the residents of the Orme slopes had objected 150 years ago to hotels being built on the fields by the sea where would we be now,Any worth while tourist attraction would get my vote,when i lived on Bodnant road 20 years ago and they built two new housing estates opposite ,nobody from the Craigside mafia came along and said what a shame,they object to a few golf balls in a field,lets get one thing straight this was built as a tourist town and if a decent venture came along then it would get my vote,as for the retirement mafia ,sorry. D)

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2011, 08:14:08 am »
I agree with Wrex on this. Those who've acquired nice properties overlooking the fields are fiercely aggressive when it comes to obstructing any development, but one has to ask if that means they should be allowed to stop it. Anyone who lives where there's a great view has to accept - unless they buy the view itself and all the land between them and the view - that there's a chance the needs of the community will dictate that it might be developed.

The Alice Theme park might have been a significant asset to Llandudno, although it's hard to say, but a Victoria-themed park could be very good.  Perhaps one based on Victorian era gardens throughout the world, with little steam engine rides, horse-drawn carriages, specially created streams and pools, intimate pathways and Victorian shops.

Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2011, 08:17:20 am »
a Victoria-themed park could be very good.  Perhaps one based on Victorian era gardens throughout the world, with little steam engine rides, horse-drawn carriages, specially created streams and pools, intimate pathways and Victorian shops.
That's a very interesting idea. In my earlier post, I was going to put forward the idea that the whole area be landscaped into a public park (thereby ensuring its indefinite survival as a green public area) and this is an extension of that thought. With careful planning, the various attractions could pay for the overall costs of maintaining the park.

Offline Jack

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2011, 09:15:19 am »
I completely agree with Wrex and Ian on this one, something built with sympathy for its surroundings and well landscaped would be a great asset to this town.  This town needs forward thinkers and not nimbys.  Are the people of Craigside who are complaining not being a tad hypocritical, were their houses not built on a greenfield site?

Offline rhos.rover

Planning issues in TTT area
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2013, 10:10:29 pm »
I believe our forward-looking Government has intentions on scrapping the ancient homeowner’s protection of ‘Right to Light’ regarding Planning issues.

Genius…

We already have the worst area size, light quality and construction quality in British building regulations compared to the main Europe countries, and now we can sit in our pokey boxes in the gloom with no protection at all from greedy developers.

I was yesterday chatting about this with a good fiend who lives in a flat on Colwyn prom. His lounge overlooks a car park in Penrhos road. The owner of this land wishes to build a four floor block of apartments there. I think its been about seven years and eight applications rejected so far, not by the planning officers (who seem very eager to have this built), but by the councillors on the planning committee who continue to agree that this building will block light to the living rooms of this Victorian apartment building.

He showed me a letter from the company that did a light report for the developer. The report has a chart showing predicted light figures should the building be built, and effects to residents. It was sent to the agent working for the developer. It states that the figures are only just above the recommended light allowance, that the figures are based only on light outside the windows of this building and above all this; they can’t even guarantee that these figures will be accurate if the building is built. So much for these reports that Conwy council planning officers follow! The letter was in the planning file and no one but the residents picked up on it! Frightening isn’t it?  :o

Removing rights to light will unquestionably diminish the ‘harmful effects’ clauses that are used to protect people facing the prospects of a brick wall outside their living rooms. (Which are the only windows protected by Conwy)

If the right for light law was scrapped, there would be no way a resident could get damages from a developer bricking up light and supplying flim-flam light reports. Surely this is the last protection for people living around potential building sites?

My mate is a member of a residents group, and although I used to think this type of thing was a waste of time, I have to agree that they have done a huge amount battling the council officers and this millionaire developer over the years. Maybe more areas should get together and fight things. Maybe Conwy would be a better place for it.

I am told that the developer is the same man that owns the Rothesay hotel. And locals believe he is also tied up in yet another planning application in the same road, to build a modern block between the Denbighshire arts society and a grade 2 listed building. I think it was the house built and lived in by the chap who built most of Colwyn’s buildings, but I can’t remember his name.

As my friend said, the Rothesay is granted permission to be demolished and rebuilt as a 40+ luxury apartment building. It will sleep 120+ people and have 40 car parking spaces. Wow, this area is going to be gridlocked with cars.

Mind you, they scrapped the ‘one parking space for each predicted occupancy’ planning law to make it easy on the dveloper, but we all know how easy it is to park outside our homes these days…

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: Right to Light and Conwy Planning
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2013, 05:35:06 pm »
The Developer for that site is Charlie Lynch.

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2013, 09:05:57 am »
I think it was the house built and lived in by the chap who built most of Colwyn’s buildings, but I can’t remember his name.

Did you mean Sidney Colwyn Foulkes? He used the stone pineapples seen on the house "Moryn" and a few more buildings in the locality.

Info. courtesy of the Rhos on Sea Heritage Trail leaflet.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline rhos.rover

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2013, 10:13:50 pm »
I will ask this weekend, Nemesis. I will take a photo too and see if anyone can say if this was his house. The name rings a bell, but that might be from reading a lot of past posts here…
I would like to know the background of 'Ridge Cottage' regardless. It’s a lovely house.