Author Topic: James Howarth - Ironmonger  (Read 5669 times)

Offline odessa

James Howarth - Ironmonger
« on: April 14, 2011, 10:42:53 pm »
Hi,

First post, so please be gentle. Looking for any info on James Howarth b.1854 who lived in Llandudno for at least 1881-1911 (census returns) He was an Ironmonger, address 100 Mostyn Street. Hoping to find out when the business ceased or when he died. Perhaps he is mentioned in local Trade Directories?

He may have moved from Llandudno, as there are no probable entries for his death in this area. Wife's name Kate Howarth (nee Cobbs). Married 1879 Lichfield, Staffordshire.

James was born in Lancashire and Kate in Kent, but they had at least 4 children born in Llandudno, Harry c.1883, Gladys c.1888, Jesse c.1890 and William Ewart c.1899 (from 1911 census return)

kind regards,
odessa

Offline suepp

• Ad Free Member
Re: James Howarth - Ironmonger
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2011, 11:35:16 pm »
Hi Odessa, welcome to the forum, :)

all I can tell you - which you may already know, is that 100 Mostyn street is now a sports shop called "Escape"  - one up from the now closed down pharmacy known as Hoosons corner

Offline odessa

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2011, 02:50:50 pm »
Hi Suepp,

Thanks for the welcome $thanx$

Yes, I did manage to find "Escape" via a quick "Google"

odessa.

all I can tell you - which you may already know, is that 100 Mostyn street is now a sports shop called "Escape"  - one up from the now closed down pharmacy known as Hoosons corner
[/quote]

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2011, 04:05:56 pm »
I had a look in the 1911 Street Index at the Conwy Archives and the index lists the main breadwinner at the address, the persons named are also listed in Alphabetical order at the back of the book.
I looked at 100 Mostyn Street and the person listed there was J Howarth JONES an ironmonger. I then cross checked this with the Alphabetical index and again the name was listed as J Howarth JONES.
There was no one by the surname of HOWARTH listed in the 1911 Street Index for Llandudno.
I then checked the 1914 Street index for 100 Mostyn Street and the person listed there was A J Fleet  music depot.
There was no one listed in the Alphabetic section under the name of J Howarth Jones or under the surname of Howarth.
J Howarth JONES was not in Llandudno in 1914 so I ckecked the burial records for St Tudno's Church but there is no record of a burial there.  All I can assume is that the family left Llandudno sometime after 1911 but before 1914.
Sorry I can't help any more.

Offline odessa

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2011, 05:51:13 pm »
Hello Hugo,

I think your information confirms what I had expected. I too searched for deaths in the Llandudno area and couldn't find anything suitable. Odd though, that the 1911 Street Index has a J. Howarth-Jones, a tantalising coincidence!

I rather expect he may have returned to Lancashire where there are an abundance of Hayworths, Howarths etc. to sift through............

Many thanks for your efforts, they are much appreciated.
odessa.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2011, 06:45:43 pm »
Hi Odessa,

If your ancestor's full name was just James Howarth and he is shown in the 1911 census as living at 100 Mostyn Street then the Street Index may not be a coincidence.   Howarth is not a common name in this area and I can only remember two families with that surname,although there may have been more.
Is it possible that Jesse got married to a Jones and kept her maiden name as many did at that time (including my mother)   She would have been about 21 at the time and could have been running it at the time the Street Index was compiled.
If I find out anything,I'll post it on here.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2011, 08:00:23 pm »
I had a look in the Conwy Archives again and the 1890 Suttons Directory shows James Haworth as a General and furnishing ironmonger, plumber and co at No 100 Mostyn Street.
As I said before the 1911 Street and alphabetical index lists his surname as Jones, James Howarth Jones. 
I had a look at the 1911/12 Rates book for Llandudno UDC and his name is listed there as James Haworth so the 1911 Street index must have listed his name incorrectly.
Just as a matter of interest the details from the Rates Book on the shop and house are as follows:-
Gross estimated rental     £110.00
Rateable value                   £88.00
Rates payable                 £11. 13s. 4d   
In the 1929 Street Index that Suepp has a copy of there is a J J Haworth living at Carlisle House Morfa Road Llandudno but the person may be unconnected with your relative.
I had a look too at the local paper the Llandudno Advertiser for 1941 and there was no obituary listed in it for anyone with the surname Haworth or similar sounding names

Offline Hugo

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2011, 02:45:47 pm »
I had a look on Ancestry today at the Library and no doubt you have seen the census details for 1881 and 1901.
In the 1881 census James was 27 and an Ironmongers assistant living at Bay View Cottage with his wife Kate and her sister Laura Cabb who was then aged 23 (2 years older than Kate)
By the time of the 1901 Census James had been very busy indeed.  Not only had he started his own business at 100 Mostyn Street but he also had fathered  6 children by then.
Harry, Laura J, Gladys K,  Jesse,  James A and William E.     Their ages being 19, 17, 14, 12, 10 and 2 respectively.
Also at that address in 1901 were Elizabeth Sharall aged 31 and Catherine M Thomas aged 22