Author Topic: Health  (Read 64818 times)

Offline Blongb

• Management board member
  • I love living in Llandudno.
Re: Health
« Reply #90 on: February 04, 2020, 02:24:20 pm »
Let them Hugo, I've got my stock in already, so I should be OK until this crisis passes _))++
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline Hugo

« Reply #91 on: February 04, 2020, 02:59:15 pm »
Cheers Blongb,   Iechyd Da         $drink$

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #92 on: March 27, 2020, 10:50:18 am »
SMOKERS are being urged to quit now or risk suffering more serious complications if they develop Covid-19.

Leading Welsh respiratory consultant is urging Keir Lewis, Professor of Respiratory Medicine at Swansea University, warns that smokers could be at greater risk of going on to lung illness from the Coronavirus.

Smokers already have weakened lung defences as a result of their habit, damaging the cells protecting their nose and upper and lower airways.

lung defences heal quite quickly so giving up smoking even now could significantly improve smokers’ ability to defend from the infection and also recover from the condition by strengthening their body’s immune system.

Improvements in lung defences occur within days of giving up.
https://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/18339007.ash-cymru-tells-north-wales-smokers-quit-now-pandemic/

Ask any pharmacy for advice.
More information ........ https://www.quitwithhelp.co.uk/?gclid=Cj0KCQjwyPbzBRDsARIsAFh15JYuiHxgtiJ_cbx7vj03YnwSBVjQuBKA6XlwKzzL3kFxPLyf6yGAJIwaArQhEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds#second

Offline SteveH

« Reply #93 on: April 22, 2020, 10:30:16 am »
PUBLIC Health Wales has reported a sharp rise in smokers quitting amidst fears over Covid-19.

Compared to recent weeks last week saw a 51 per cent increase in referrals to NHS Wales’ Help Me Quit service following warnings that smokers face an increased risk of suffering severe complications from Covid-19.

According to health experts, smokers are more at risk from the virus because they have weakened lung defences as a result of smoking which damages the cells protecting their nose, upper and lower airways.
If they quit now however, they can improve their ability to fight the infection.

“Help Me Quit are responding to the dramatic rise in demand by ramping up telephone support and ensuring all smokers are given the support they need to quit this deadly habit.”

cont  https://www.leaderlive.co.uk/news/18396262.health-officials-report-surge-welsh-smokers-quitting-covid-19-fears/

Offline SteveH

« Reply #94 on: January 22, 2021, 10:08:25 am »
BETSI Cadwaladr University Health Board has reported the largest ever uptake of flu vaccinations in its communities across North Wales.

Since this season’s campaign started in September 2020, 294,700 people have had their jab to date, which represents an increase in all eligible groups on previous years.

With the Covid-19 vaccination programme also now well underway, the health board has used this achievement to plan large scale vaccination campaigns.

Teresa Owen, executive director of Public Health, said: “This is a significant achievement in the effort to keep the public safe against this other potentially serious, and even deadly virus.

cont   https://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/19028992.north-wales-health-board-records-highest-ever-uptake-flu-vaccine/

Offline SteveH

Re: Health .........WARNING
« Reply #95 on: April 30, 2021, 10:37:51 am »
Toddler's family feared for his life in kidney failure ordeal - and it was all caused by seagull poo
Jaydon Pritchard spent 19 days in Alder Hey hooked up to a dialysis machine after falling ill

An 18-month-old boy suffered kidney failure after he ingested seagull droppings while out playing in his garden.

Jaydon Pritchard is "still not out of the woods" completely but is doing much better, according to his grandparents Arwel and Christine, who look after him along with his mother Tiffany at their home in Amlwch in Anglesey.

The traumatic ordeal began on Tuesday, April 6, when Jaydon was taken to see a doctor after feeling unwell for the previous couple of days.

The doctor referred Jaydon to Ysbyty Gwynedd where he was later discharged after his family were told that he was suffering from a "virus".

His grandfather said Jaydon "didn't do anything apart from sleep and be sick" the next day until later on in the evening, when they heard a "horrible noise coming from his cot".

"He was having a fit, so we called for an ambulance straight away," said Mr Pritchard.

"He had another fit before the ambulance arrived and another three fits on the way to the hospital. It was like he was looking through you. He didn't recognise anyone.

His grandmother said she was "apprehensive" over leaving him in the garden again.

"I clean the patio every day, but it's difficult because the seagulls are nesting nearby and it's a constant mess to clean up," she said.

cont  https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/toddlers-family-feared-life-kidney-20494868

Offline SteveH

Re: Health and Wellbeing
« Reply #96 on: August 25, 2021, 09:59:12 am »
A NEW free group programme helping those aged 50 and older is launching at various Conwy community centres in September.

‘My Generation’, which is run by mental health charity Mind, is a free eight-week programme for older people which aims to improve wellbeing, build resilience and reduce isolation and loneliness.

It has now been taken on by their Conwy branch, with the project coming to centres in Penmaenmawr, Llandudno (Craig-y-Don and Ty Llewelyn) and Abergele

Helen Marchant, marketing and engagement officer at Conwy Mind, feels the project is particularly timely given the heightened feelings of solitude many have felt during the COVID-19 pandemic.

She said: “We’ve been getting an increase in calls during the pandemic from people coping with loss, or dealing with stress and low moods, and that obviously doesn’t suddenly go amiss for the older generation.

“Loneliness seems particularly key right now, so that’s been something we’ve been really keen to tackle.”

The next My Generation group will begin on Tuesday, September 7 Sept at Ty Llywellyn Community Centre, Llandudno, taking place from 10am-12pm.

Those who wish to take part can enjoy different activities and spend time with others to boost their mood and resilience once a week for eight weeks.
Groups meet face to face, but social distancing measures will also be in place.

For more information, visit: conwymind.org.uk or www.mind.org.uk/about-us/mind-cymru/my-generation.

You can also contact Conwy Mind on 01492 879907.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #97 on: February 09, 2022, 10:34:11 am »
Patients who take paracetamol frequently could be putting themselves at risk of strokes and heart disease, researchers have found.

Most people had thought that it was a completely safe drug to take for those with high blood pressure.

However, a new survey has found that the effect on blood pressure is like the effect from non-steroidal anti-inflammatories (NSAIDs), like ibuprofen, which are known to increase blood pressure and the risk of heart disease, and also used to manage chronic pain,

cont  https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/paracetamol-warning-blood-pressure-millions-23032179

Offline SteveH

« Reply #98 on: February 15, 2022, 09:37:54 am »
Inactive over 70s urged to start exercising - 'better late than never’
Research showed physical activity was associated with lower rates of cardiovascular diseases

Experts said that it is “better late than never, but better early than late” to start exercise after a new study found that people can ward off severe heart disease by performing at least 20 minutes exercise a day in later life.

The protective benefit seemed to reduce as people aged which “suggests greater cardiovascular benefits might be achieved by improving physical activity earlier in late life,”

Offline SteveH

« Reply #99 on: March 17, 2022, 10:30:48 am »
This is a long shot, but for those interested in nutrition, Prof. Tim Spector  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_Spector and the ZOE tracker team, have started a new podcast..............

We’re excited to announce the launch of our podcast: ZOE Science and Nutrition.

In each episode, we’ll be teaming up with world-leading scientists to get YOUR questions on nutrition answered.

We're starting things off with two episodes we think you'll love.
Are restrictive diets the answer to preventing and managing food intolerances?

With Dr. Will Bulsiewicz, ZOE’s U.S. Medical Director, board-certified gastroenterologist, and New York Times best-selling author.

Is there any truth to the claims that chocolate can improve our mood, our health, and even our libido?

With Professor Tim Spector, one of the top 100 most cited scientists in the world, and Spencer Hyman, world-leading chocolate expert and founder of Cocoa Runners.

Episodes guided by you.

We’d love to hear which nutrition topics or questions you’d like us to cover in future episodes.
Share your thoughts
Tune in every other Thursday on Apple, Spotify, or anywhere else you listen to your podcasts. Be sure to subscribe so you never miss an episode!

The ZOE Team

First two podcasts............  https://zoe_science_and_nutrition.captivate.fm/listen?utm_source=Email+%2F+newsletter

Offline SteveH

« Reply #100 on: May 04, 2022, 01:46:29 pm »
As some will know I am a great believer in Vitamin D, mostly because when you are deficient in vitamin D, your immune system may not be as strong, making you more susceptible to infection, especially bearing in mind the recent problems.

Top symptoms of Vitamin D deficiency and how to deal with it
Depression is a symptom of Vitamin D deficiency among'st a few other key signs

According to Heart UK, about one in five Brits suffers from vitamin D deficiency. Also known as the “sunshine” nutrient, vitamin D undertakes various tasks that keeps your body healthy.

Every person is at high risk of not getting enough vitamin D, including all children aged 1 to 4, and all babies. The nutrient is considered “essential”, as it is key to keeping your bones strong and helps create new hair follicles.

A lack of vitamin D can lead to bone deformities such as rickets in children, and bone pain caused by a condition called osteomalacia in adults. The body creates vitamin D from direct sunlight on the skin when outdoors.

There are however other symptoms of vitamin D deficiency, so we have provided a list for you to check using information from "Discover" . If anyone of these symptoms apply to you, it is recommended you speak to your GP about the problem.

Dizziness and fatigue, Weak Bones, Muscle Pain, Depression, Increased Risk of Infection.....

cont https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/top-symptoms-vitamin-d-deficiency-23859022

Offline Helig

« Reply #101 on: May 05, 2022, 11:18:50 am »
I can support Steve's views on Vitamin D. I take Vita Biotics 2000iu every day. It may be of interest for people to know that a consultant breast surgeon told me to take a high dose of Vitamin D daily when she saw me following a diagnosis of breast cancer. I took her advice and am convinced it has helped with this.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #102 on: May 05, 2022, 12:01:46 pm »
Hi Helig
I'm sorry to hear what you have been through but pleased that the Vita Biotics are helping you with your recovery.    .   

Offline SteveH

« Reply #103 on: May 05, 2022, 02:58:35 pm »
Helig, glad to hear you are finding Vit D helpful and making you feel better, take care.

Offline Helig

« Reply #104 on: May 06, 2022, 09:43:06 am »
Thank you to both Steve and Hugo. I was lucky to have found it early and the procedures were relatively minor.