Author Topic: Hotel News & Gossip  (Read 303913 times)

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
Re: Hotel News & Gossip
« Reply #120 on: May 01, 2014, 11:26:32 pm »
  Gosh Fester I didn't know you mixed in those circles.

But I meet a few golfers, I suppose I'm a business type of a kind, I'm a local resident and I did have a yacht when I was around 10 years old. Used to sail it in the West Shore boating pool.

But it looks as if I left it too late to join. Mike

Offline hollins

• Management board member
« Reply #121 on: May 02, 2014, 07:11:38 am »
Never too late Mike and with your brilliant sense of humour, you will go far!
Thanks for the laughs.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #122 on: June 10, 2014, 05:32:05 pm »
Contractors have been working at the closed Royal Hotel in Church Walks this week, cutting down the large trees that surround the property. This has the unfortunate effect of making the semi-derelict building even more visible.  &shake& Potential access points to the building have been boarded up by Northstar Estates.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #123 on: June 10, 2014, 05:36:50 pm »
Bet the constant whining of the saws has driven you nuts !
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #124 on: June 10, 2014, 07:45:46 pm »
Royal Hotel in the Seventies.
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #125 on: June 11, 2014, 01:04:07 pm »
Fresh plans have been submitted to  transform a derelict former hotel into  a 63 bed Premier Inn, restaurants and  retail units - creating 110 jobs.

The prominent Tudno Castle Hotel  in Llandudno has lain empty since  closing in 2008 and become an eyesore  in the centre of the seaside resort.

A previous attempt to redevelop the  Grade II Listed site collapsed, but last year developers revealed a new plan for the site involving the Premier Inn.

A  revised planning application has now been submitted to Conwy County  Council.

Under the £10m plans Opus Land  would build a 63 bed hotel, retaining  the existing facade, create three restaurants, two retail units and a business unit on the top floor.

This would see Premier Inn come in  to run the hotel with Italian chain  Prezzo taking over one of the restaurants.

Negotiations are ongoing for the  other restaurants and bar units.

Mostyn Estates managing director  Edward Hillier said: “This is a very  important development for the town.  Premier Inn will attract new visitors to  Llandudno.

“Some people now go straight to  Premier Inn or Travelodge websites  and see where they have hotels and  when they see there is a hotel in  Llandudno will book that.

“Developing this site is also crucial  in providing the seamless link from  Parc Llandudno to the high street with  two new retail sites developed providing this link.

“We already have Premier Inn and  Prezzo are taking one of the restaurant  sites and we are in discussions over the  second restaurant site.

“There is also a bar/restaurant  site as well.

“We will be start the active search  for tenants for the retail units at a later  date but we know in which direction  we want to go.”

Aberconwy AM Janet Finch Saunders said: “I am delighted to learn   an  investor has come forward with a   redevelopment scheme for the once  iconic Tudno Castle Hotel.

“For too long this well situated   hotel, has been an eyesore and there is  so much potential here for a new and  innovative  redevelopment scheme.  Llandudno has always been renowned  for many years, as the Premier shopping town in North Wales.

“This redevelopment  once completed,  will further link  the Parc Llandudno Retail Park  to the  town itself and will be yet another  superb attraction and asset to the  town.”

Planning permission was granted to  previous site owners Conwy Estates in  2008 after a lengthy planning process  which culminated in an inquiry heard  by a Welsh Government planning inspector.

But Conwy Estates said  the process had drained  resources and that  Premier Inn, a subsidiary of Whitbreads brewery, was no longer interested.

This new plan would create a mixed  use development of nearly 5,000 sq  metres over five floors, including a  semi basement lower ground floor.

In order to retain the listed facade a  detailed scheme of structural stabilisation and temporary propping of the  facade will be required.

The building dates back to the 1870s  and was formerly two hotels, Tudno  Castle and the Temperance Hotel. It  became the Great Western Hotel and  then went back to the Tudno Castle  name. It was Grade II Listed in 1976.

With soaring energy prices developers want to install a heat pump to  heat the hotel.

The two retail units will be over two  floors to blend in with existing units  on Parc Llandudno.

A spokesman said: “The retail use is  supported by Conwy’s Local Development Plan strategic policies that  seek to protect the retail offer in  Llandudno and enhance the vitality,  attractiveness and viability of the retail centres.”

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/business/business-news/tudno-castle-new-plans-transform-7249215

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #126 on: June 11, 2014, 01:55:46 pm »
Brilliant news as it will bring more people in. However Premier Inns aren't normally the nicest looking places with their gaudy colours which is why they are ussualy off motorways rather than slap bang in the middle of town. Surely it will look a bit of an eye sore?

Offline Cat Stevens

« Reply #127 on: June 11, 2014, 08:19:23 pm »
It's good to see positive activity relating to the site of the castle hotel. On another note I see the clearance hotel progressing nicely but does anyone know who will be or may be occupying the ground flood of the Clarence.

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #128 on: June 12, 2014, 05:59:56 am »
Prezzo looks nice,a bit pricey but good menu,might make a few local Italians too up their game.

Offline mull

« Reply #129 on: June 12, 2014, 09:08:06 am »
Thought it was the North Western Hotel not Great Western.

Offline TheMedz

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #130 on: July 03, 2014, 10:23:10 pm »
Travelodge Llandudno, Clarence now taking bookings from 2nd December 2014 onwards.Starting off at £42 per room per night.

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #131 on: July 13, 2014, 11:47:12 am »
Do we presume that Whitbreads are taking over one of the restaurants in Tudno Point as they have a application on the fence or do Premier Inns sell alcohol.

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #132 on: July 13, 2014, 12:17:12 pm »
They have licenced restaurants attached to Craigside Inn and Afon Conwy so I suppose there is no reason to believe this site will be any different.

Offline Cordyline

« Reply #133 on: July 13, 2014, 01:05:48 pm »
Thanks to TheMedz

re new Travelodge in Llandudno

Just booked 3 nights in December, double room for total £72.00
 $good$  $good$

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #134 on: July 13, 2014, 03:18:36 pm »
It is a license to sell to residents so Premier inns must have a bar unlike Travelodges