Author Topic: Hotel News & Gossip  (Read 304073 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: Hotel News & Gossip
« Reply #690 on: August 24, 2019, 08:22:41 am »

Offline Blongb

• I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #691 on: August 24, 2019, 02:24:55 pm »
Llandudno Bay hotel and Queen's Hotel now also in administration
I'm only surprised the Belmont isn't listed as well, after it was relisted at £2.1 million. What a chancer.  ))*
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #692 on: August 25, 2019, 10:16:16 am »
I wonder how much of an impact this will have on Llandudno , apart from those who lost their investment and local businesses owed monies, who is going to take on a business, with investors owning the rooms ?

Offline OrmeMac

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #693 on: August 25, 2019, 12:15:00 pm »
I wonder how much of an impact this will have on Llandudno , apart from those who lost their investment and local businesses owed monies, who is going to take on a business, with investors owning the rooms ?

Will the investors still 'own' their rooms. As the business/pyramid scheme has gone bust haven't they lost everything and the hotel will be sold on without any liabilities?

Offline SteveH

« Reply #694 on: August 25, 2019, 12:39:11 pm »
Will the investors still 'own' their rooms. As the business/pyramid scheme has gone bust haven't they lost everything and the hotel will be sold on without any liabilities?

I was thinking/hoping along the lines of leases, I doubt? anyone would invest without some form of lease, similar to buying a flat, paying ground rent and maintenance etc. I think he has left a hell of a mess.

PS Not local, but a taste of things to come....  https://www.dailypost.co.uk/business/business-news/granddad-fears-75000-investment-gavin-16608405

Offline SteveH

« Reply #695 on: September 01, 2019, 01:07:35 pm »
TWO Conwy hotels have been taken into administration, but are continuing with business as usual.

The hotels' existing bookings are being honoured.

They are the Queens Hotel, Llandudno and Caer Rhun Hall in the Conwy Valley. Both are owned by the Whisper Hotel Group which owns a number of hotels in England and elsewhere in Wales.

However two further hotels owned by the group in Llandudno: the Belmont and the Llandudno Bay Hotel, do not appear to be affected.

A spokesperson for the administrators, Duff and Phelps, said: “Philip Duffy and Sarah Bell, both of Duff & Phelps, were appointed joint administrators of the hotels and while the hotels are trading under the control of the joint administrators all room and event bookings are being honoured.
“It is business as usual therefore, the Whisper Hotels website is operational.”

The spokesperson was unable to comment on the future of the staff employed in the Queens Hotel or Caer Rhun. Neither was she able to comment on the future of the Belmont and the Llandudno Bay Hotel                                               ref Pioneer

Offline Hugo

« Reply #696 on: September 01, 2019, 02:00:39 pm »
I'm pleased that the Queen's Hotel is still trading as we have our coffee morning there on Tuesday, it must be a bit stressful for the staff who work there not knowing what the future holds
This article in the Daily Post says that the Llandudno Bay Hotel is also in administration and I would expect the Belmont to follow suite in due course

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/business/business-news/llandudno-hotels-owned-gavin-woodhouse-16806781

Offline SteveH

« Reply #697 on: September 03, 2019, 01:57:14 pm »
I did not know the Plas Maenan hotel was being featured on TV, nice bit of advertising for the area...............

Posh Gogglebox couple Steph and Dom have been helping to bring a Conwy Valley hotel back to its former glory.
The Parkers, who own a guest house in Kent, are at Plas Maenan, which was bought by retired Jane Harris last year.

She is the third owner of the Llanrwrst hotel in as many years, but is determined to make it work.

It has an intriguing past, rumoured to have been the hiding place of national treasures during World War II - claims given weight by the fact the building has an otherwise inexplicable, blast-proof strongroom.

Cont.   https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/how-googlebox-stars-been-helping-16857952

Offline SteveH

« Reply #698 on: September 18, 2019, 07:41:19 pm »
This article in the Daily Post says that the Llandudno Bay Hotel is also in administration and I would expect the Belmont to follow suite in due course

Llandudno hotel owned by Gavin Woodhouse goes into administration
The Belmont Hotel in the seaside town is the latest Northern Powerhouse Developments site to enter administration/
https://www.dailypost.co.uk/business/business-news/llandudno-hotel-owned-gavin-woodhouse-16942440

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #699 on: September 25, 2019, 04:18:55 am »

Offline SteveH

« Reply #700 on: September 25, 2019, 10:24:04 am »
Update on the above
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-49812239

I thought it would be a mess, but it´s a lot bigger than I originally envisaged......."They estimate up to a thousand investors may be involved in the various investment schemes run by a group of Gavin Woodhouse companies, and that the investment value may run to between £70m and £80m."

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #701 on: September 25, 2019, 03:23:01 pm »
I new this would happen, when they first opened the Bay hotel chatting to a person high up who forgot to stop talking 😂. They messed the owners of the Queens about no end when eventually it went through they only sold 3 rooms and done them up, showed people them and the put the guests in other rooms, the Belmont was going to be renamed the Heritage, the amount of hotels that are for sale in town don't hold out much hope for the investors.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #702 on: October 05, 2019, 10:10:29 am »
Prominent Llandudno hotel in the hands of liquidators
The Ambassador hotel on the seafront has been taken over by liquidators but continues to trade.
https://www.dailypost.co.uk/business/business-news/prominent-llandudno-hotel-hands-liquidators-17034267

Offline SteveH

« Reply #703 on: October 07, 2019, 05:26:51 pm »
Not good news for the Tudno Castle/Premier Inn.........

Fears over Pizza Express restaurants as debt talks set to start.... The chain currently has debts of £1.12m with £655.6million due to be repaid by August 2022   ref DP

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #704 on: October 07, 2019, 06:15:17 pm »
All a bit depressing.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.