Author Topic: Hotel News & Gossip  (Read 303832 times)

Offline Blongb

• Management board member
  • I love living in Llandudno.
Re: Hotel News & Gossip
« Reply #675 on: June 29, 2019, 12:39:55 pm »
Under-fire entrepreneur says why value of his North Wales hotels surged by up to 400% in a year
Gavin Woodhouse, who owns four North Wales hotels, has come under scrutiny this week in a joint investigation by ITV News and The Guardian.

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/business/business-news/under-fire-entrepreneur-says-value-16494447

Not one of his properties is running at a profit, so even with his investment of other peoples money in his business and his grandiose claims of anticipated future profits, plus the wildly over priced value of his property, it's starting to look very much like the Emperor has got a new suit of cloths.   &shake&
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #676 on: June 29, 2019, 01:07:12 pm »
Yes Only a few rooms have been sold in the Queens and its cash on delivery so I've heard from good scource, also I've noticed a few people have their rooms for sale in the bay and Belmont.

Offline Blongb

• I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #677 on: June 29, 2019, 01:44:43 pm »
Yes Only a few rooms have been sold in the Queens and its cash on delivery so I've heard from good scource, also I've noticed a few people have their rooms for sale in the bay and Belmont.

Why am I not surprised, when we first heard about the scheme to buy the rooms. she who must be obeyed said we don't touch that with a barge pole.  ))*
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #678 on: June 29, 2019, 01:53:26 pm »
Under-fire entrepreneur says why value of his North Wales hotels surged by up to 400% in a year
Gavin Woodhouse, who owns four North Wales hotels, has come under scrutiny this week in a joint investigation by ITV News and The Guardian.
https://www.dailypost.co.uk/business/business-news/under-fire-entrepreneur-says-value-16494447
Not one of his properties is running at a profit, so even with his investment of other peoples money in his business and his grandiose claims of anticipated future profits, plus the wildly over priced value of his property, it's starting to look very much like the Emperor has got a new suit of cloths.   &shake&
Why am I not surprised, when we first heard about the scheme to buy the rooms. she who must be obeyed said we don't touch that with a barge pole.  ))*
Some years ago, I said it sounded like a Time Share scheme, and I personally would be very careful of investing, bearing in mind the reputation of T.S. Co's.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #679 on: July 05, 2019, 09:36:00 am »
Follow up on the above............

The company that valued North Wales four hotels owned by under-fire entrepreneur Gavin Woodhouse today said they could not endorse the figures as "crucial information" was missing.

Mr Woodhouse came under scrutiny in a joint investigation by ITV News and The Guardian over "a series of concerns" about Mr Woodhouse, involving the finance of his care home and hotel projects.
He and the company he chairs, Northern Powerhouse Developments(NPD), strongly deny doing anything wrong and called the claims "misleading and inaccurate".    Cont. https://www.dailypost.co.uk/business/business-news/company-valued-gavin-woodhouses-north-16530194

Offline SteveH

« Reply #680 on: July 19, 2019, 09:38:36 am »
Landmark Swallow Falls Hotel has been put on the market for £1.75m
The Betws-y-Coed hotel site dates back to the 19th Century and is situated near the famous waterfall.   Ref DP

Offline SteveH

« Reply #681 on: July 20, 2019, 10:47:21 am »
They have also bought caerhun hall ,two other hotels in town aswell as the queens .
My friends say I am cynical so........that would make six in a small area, that's a lot of people investing in Llandudno and expecting a good return for their money....that's a lot of bookings .......and they would be competing with each other, as well as the existing hotels........... &shake&

I found my post of 2015, confirming my thoughts on this company......

Fears £75,000 investment in Gavin Woodhouse hotel scheme set to be wiped out
Investor Derrick Towlson worked all his life for his savings but worries his retirement fund is about to be lost.

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/business/business-news/granddad-fears-75000-investment-gavin-16608405

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #682 on: July 20, 2019, 11:17:53 am »
The first hotel they acquired The ormescliffe they did a lot of work on that, sold all the rooms ,the Belmont was going to be called the Herritage hotel , the Queens hotel they have only sold a few rooms and now it's in a bad way after all the years being very successful family run hotel , Caerhun hall is also in trouble ,you have to feel for the poor staff.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #683 on: August 05, 2019, 03:44:37 pm »
Driving down Vaughan St. today towards the Tudno Castle/ Premier Inn I noticed that they have built two new chimney stacks of Victorian design, (similar to the originals below) on the flat concrete roof, quite a sight, a few people taking photos, unfortunately I did not have my camera, and I am not in town for some time, but this is a great opportunity for someone to get these pictures...............! !

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #684 on: August 06, 2019, 11:17:47 pm »
I think there are three, and they have gone to an immense amount of trouble and detail to replicate what is really only an ornamental feature.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Online Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #685 on: August 07, 2019, 08:26:18 am »
They could be used for bathroom evacuation purposes; the extra height they afford would increase the draw substantially, so making fans redundant.  Hotels in New York do that routinely. As you say it's a lot of work and expense if they were only to be decorative features so my bet is the architect will have ensured they have a function.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #686 on: August 07, 2019, 09:37:54 am »
author=Fester link=topic=501.msg109195#msg109195 date=1565129867]
I think there are three, and they have gone to an immense amount of trouble and detail to replicate what is really only an ornamental feature.

I suppose we can take it as an encouraging sign that the Restoration will be sympathetic to the area, as promised, .....(and it is showing three chimneys in the design mock up.)

Offline spotty dog

« Reply #687 on: August 07, 2019, 10:01:31 am »
They could of cause be mock chimneys, they did appear very quickly

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #688 on: August 10, 2019, 03:00:41 pm »
They could be used for bathroom evacuation purposes; the extra height they afford would increase the draw substantially, so making fans redundant.  Hotels in New York do that routinely. As you say it's a lot of work and expense if they were only to be decorative features so my bet is the architect will have ensured they have a function.

When you see the build, they are simply being built onto the concrete floors.
I’d say they are purely ornamental.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline SteveH

« Reply #689 on: August 15, 2019, 03:29:12 pm »
The first hotel they acquired The ormescliffe they did a lot of work on that, sold all the rooms ,the Belmont was going to be called the Herritage hotel , the Queens hotel they have only sold a few rooms and now it's in a bad way after all the years being very successful family run hotel , Caerhun hall is also in trouble ,you have to feel for the poor staff.

Landmark hotel Caer Rhun Hall goes into administration
The hotel is owned by Gavin Woodhouse's Northern Powerhouse Developments.

The hotel remains open and continues to trade in administration.
Caer Rhun is owned by Gavin Woodhouse's company Northern Powerhouse Developments(NPD) - who bought the site back in 2015 for £1m.

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/business/business-news/landmark-hotel-caer-rhun-hall-16759968