Author Topic: Hotel News & Gossip  (Read 307772 times)

Offline Cat Stevens

Re: Hotel News & Gossip
« Reply #60 on: April 19, 2013, 10:06:00 pm »
Of course the owner does run a pub restaurant and it makes me wonder it he has got wind of a rather large but at this stage rumored development for the old winter gardens site.
As I said earlier quite significant activity incorporating suits in hard hats. My opinion corporate surveyors.

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #61 on: April 20, 2013, 08:27:58 am »
To buy a business with no trading account in the hope that you can convert to a residential property is risky and therefore requires a low selling price IE 250k. you soon find yourself at the mercy of the council as one will require planning consent to convert from a hotel business that pays non domestic rates to a private dwelling paying much reduced domestic rates.

And lose the business rate relief?
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #62 on: April 20, 2013, 09:22:14 am »
To buy a business with no trading account in the hope that you can convert to a residential property is risky and therefore requires a low selling price IE 250k. you soon find yourself at the mercy of the council as one will require planning consent to convert from a hotel business that pays non domestic rates to a private dwelling paying much reduced domestic rates.

And lose the business rate relief?
The Elms does indeed just creep in under the upper limit for Business Rate Relief, having a value of £7600:
http://www.2010.voa.gov.uk/rli/en/basic/find/assessment-history/2010/11247902000
...giving them a 25% discount on normal rates.

Offline Cat Stevens

« Reply #63 on: April 20, 2013, 09:54:46 am »
Still no thoughts towards the activity on ground zero next to the pier!!!!!!!!!!

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #64 on: April 20, 2013, 10:06:06 am »
Still no thoughts towards the activity on ground zero next to the pier!!!!!!!!!!
The owner of the site has only ever wanted a hotel there and is not willing to consider other options. I understand he has refused several offers for the site, in the past.

Offline Cat Stevens

« Reply #65 on: April 20, 2013, 11:44:35 am »
I am trying to establish whether there is any truth behind the rumour of an application which is currently being formulated for 150 bedrooms, restaurants, bars  etc.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #66 on: April 20, 2013, 02:57:26 pm »
I only hope that if that is so whoever is concerned does their homework ! The visitor numbers would have to rise considerably to make a go of that.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #67 on: April 20, 2013, 05:14:15 pm »
Build it and they will come.....maybe?

Offline Blongb

• I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #68 on: April 20, 2013, 10:57:22 pm »
There is always considerable speculation on what can or can’t be built on the Pier Pavilion site and we quite often see surveyors and the like going about their business down there. The only thing that’s different this time is the site has now been included in the Hotel Habitation Zone in the latest L.D.P.

But think on, as much as we would like to see the problem of the Pavilion Site brought to a satisfactory conclusion, how could they justify building a brand new 150 bedroom Hotel, complete with double glazed windows, right in the middle of the Conservation Area?

I’ve lived right opposite for 16 years, speculation and rumours come and go, I’m just glad I didn’t hold my breath on an outcome.
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #69 on: April 20, 2013, 11:34:36 pm »
An indoor, multiple use tourist attraction is what is required on that site. Use your imagination.
Such a thing would make Llandudno the foremost resort (after Blackpool maybe) in a 150 mile radius.

This would make more sense than another hotel, it would boost trade to the existing hotels, and all surrounding businesses.

Now, a 150 hotel on that site would have one massive disadvantage.  NO PARKING!
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #70 on: April 21, 2013, 08:31:55 am »
Well said Fester-- Parking is bad enough, they would have to make some kind of underground facility.

Many years ago we had some Japanese architects stay with us who were surveying the site. This must have been well over 10 years ago and it was for a leisure facility. Still waiting !

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #71 on: April 21, 2013, 08:36:10 am »
Isn’t that the case with most of the other hotels on the seafront?

Anyway, cars can always park down in Tuson’s.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #72 on: April 21, 2013, 09:28:19 am »
The bigger ones have small car parks at the rear--- mainly quite tight for entry and exit, but not all. The access isn't good, but some have permits for elsewhere.
Weekends are a nightmare, especially near here. Since Bonkers opened the demand for short term parking in the area gets desperate at times. Next door went out and found a total stranger calmly parking in their private car park. ! Not to mention the one who parked 6" away, right across our garage for the whole of one Sunday afternoon.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #73 on: May 23, 2013, 01:41:16 pm »
The Royal Hotel in Church Walks has just gone on the market, as a 'hotel/redevelopment opportunity':
http://www.colliersproperty.co.uk/insolvency-to-let/llandudno/22250

I see also the the St Tudnos Hotel is up for sale at £750,000:
http://www.colliersproperty.co.uk/hotels-to-let/llandudno/206335

Offline Blongb

• I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #74 on: June 27, 2013, 02:52:51 pm »
Bryn Y Mor Hotel on North Parade has just sold.  $good$
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)