Author Topic: Randolph Turpin  (Read 13557 times)

Offline Trojan

Randolph Turpin
« on: April 07, 2011, 04:49:58 am »
On 10th July, 1951, Randolph Turpin made history by beating Sugar Ray Robinson to become middleweight champion of the world. This was a great achievement; Sugar Ray Robinson had only been beaten once, out of a total of 133 professional fights.

Randolph Turpin was born in Leamington on 7th June 1928. He was a cook in the Royal Navy, and had a very successful amateur career, becoming A.B.A welterweight champion in 1945. In 1946 he turned professional, and won all his first 19 fights. He became British middleweight champion in 1950 and European champion in 1951.

He only held the world title for 64 days, when Robinson reclaimed the title in a rematch in October 1951. However he continued to gain further national titles, including the Lonsdale belt for becoming British Light Heavyweight champion three times, in 1952, 1955 and 1956. He was also Commonwealth Light Heavyweight champion in 1952.

Also in 1952  Randolph Turpin became the licensee of Randy's Bar at the summit of the Great Orme until 1961. The Llandudno Urban Council bought him out when he got into financial difficulties with the Inland Revenue.

Tragically, Randolph faced many problems towards the end of his life and committed suicide with a single bullet in 1966, aged just 37. In 1979 a plaque was unveiled in Leamington Town Hall in his memory, and in 2001, he was inducted into the American International Hall of Fame, the ultimate award that a boxer can achieve.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 05:04:21 am by Trojan »

Offline Trojan

Re: Randolph Turpin
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2011, 05:11:01 am »
Randy's Bar at the Great Orme's summit 1952:

Offline Trojan

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2011, 05:29:09 am »
You can visit The Randolph Turpin themed Bar today at the Summit Complex and view memorabilia about the famous boxer:

http://www.thesummitcomplex.co.uk/

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2011, 08:11:24 am »
 *&( &well&

Offline Quiggs

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2011, 09:00:17 am »
A local youth was watching Randolph training, at the summit complex. Randolph asked him " Why aren;t you in School " to which he replied," I don't like it, as I'm always being bullied by the other boys."  Randolph said " Come with me ", fitted him with some gloves, and gave him some boxing lessons, which continued for some weeks.  He never looked back and was never bullied again
Dictum Meum Pactum

Offline Blodyn

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2011, 11:34:19 am »
The statue of Randolph Turpin in Trojan's post is in Warwick.  My OH and I were surprised to "bump into" Randolph Turpin when visiting Warwick last year. 

These are two plaques below the statue.  I think that there was some additional information saying that two brothers of his were also boxers. 

Offline Llechwedd

• Sixer
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2011, 12:02:45 pm »
We had our Coronation celebration in Paynes Majestic.  Councillor Billy Thomas from Rose Tor came and who should walk in but Randolph Turpin.  We kids were amazed and thrilled and he was so nice and kind to all of us.  Posed for photographes and gave autographs a genuine gentleman.

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2011, 05:47:44 pm »
A local youth was watching Randolph training, at the summit complex. Randolph asked him " Why aren;t you in School " to which he replied," I don't like it, as I'm always being bullied by the other boys."  Randolph said " Come with me ", fitted him with some gloves, and gave him some boxing lessons, which continued for some weeks.  He never looked back and was never bullied again

It wasn't me Quiggs but Randy did autograph the photo

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2011, 05:20:21 pm »
My OH uncle used to spar with Randolph Turpin.  His name was Dan y Bren aka Danny Hughes.  We have been trying to find photos of of Danny boxing.  The funny thing is Dannys name was actually Gwilym?
Only hindsight has 20/20 vision
Angiegram - A romantic notion derived from the more mundane truth.

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline Trojan

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2011, 05:34:20 pm »
Randolph did a lot of training at Gwrych Castle in Abergele:

http://www.btinternet.com/~bevbaker/gwrychcastlepublications/turpin.html

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2011, 05:44:06 pm »
Turpin's business partner at the Summit Complex, Mr Leslie T. Salts, also owned Gwrych Castle, in the days when it was the 'Showplace of Wales':

Gwrych Castle in 1951 by davidrobertsphotography, on Flickr

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2011, 07:46:33 pm »
TonyF has kindly sent me this photo to add to the Forum:

"Randy Turpin with me and my cousin from Liverpool. I remember my Uncle buying the photo for 2/6. Randy's autograph is on the back. Note the size of his hands!"

[smg id=2398]

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2011, 09:56:22 pm »
Gezs Dad says photos were taken of Danny Hughes and Randolph at Gwyrch Castle?

In your photo Dave, Is it me?  It looks like those women at the front are running to help that guy?
Only hindsight has 20/20 vision
Angiegram - A romantic notion derived from the more mundane truth.

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline Trojan

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2011, 03:51:28 am »
In your photo Dave, Is it me?  It looks like those women at the front are running to help that guy?

They look to me like they are trying to calm him down, and there's a geezer turning to run away.  :)

Or the geezer has just punched him and is making a hasty retreat.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2011, 04:06:34 am by Trojan »

Offline Trojan

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2011, 04:05:31 am »
Randolph Turpin with his Lonsdale Belt at Randy's Bar, Great Orme.