Author Topic: Friends of the Happy Valley Group  (Read 71509 times)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: Friends of the Happy Valley Group
« Reply #75 on: August 24, 2012, 10:45:08 am »
Would there perhaps be more people attending these working days if they were held on a Sunday morning/afternoon maybe?

Offline Blodyn

« Reply #76 on: August 24, 2012, 11:00:52 am »
At the moment, the days and times have been chosen to suit the people available and also to take advantage of the Parks Department dropping off equipment and picking up the material cleared.  However, it's certainly a good idea to consider other days as well. 

Offline Blodyn

« Reply #77 on: September 08, 2012, 11:19:02 am »
Here's some information from the Friends of Happy Valley. 

From a Friends of Happy Valley press release:

"Friends of Happy Valley is a recently formed group of local residents who are volunteering their time to support and enhance the Happy Valley in Llandudno which is valuable recreational resource for residents and visitors.

"The group held another successful working party on Monday 3rd Sept when they continued their work to clear weeds, brambles and shrubbery, which was obstructing the zigzag path and the pathway to the Happy Valley. On Monday they tackled the wall and banking opposite the Grand Hotel. These working parties are not for the faint hearted as years of neglect and large amounts of litter were cleared.

"The group are keen to improve the approaches to Happy Valley to encourage visitors to explore the gardens."

And some information about the working parties:

"We are going to continue work on the approaches to Happy Valley from the town. Our plan is to thoroughly clear the top of the bank/cliff adjacent to the footpath opposite the colonnades between the Grand Hotel and Parisella’s Café. This would then create a 200m bed for future daffodil planting. If there are enough of us we will clear / thin out the bank between the colonnades and the Cabin Lift station."

The next working party will be on Monday 24 September, meeting at the Headlands Hotel at 11.00 am. 

A Facebook page has just been set up for the Friends of Happy Valley

The Friends of Happy Valley will be at the Alice in Wonderland bandstand opening event on Sunday afternoon.  Look out for people in high viz jackets with "Friends of Happy Valley" across the back.   

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #78 on: September 11, 2012, 07:11:54 pm »
As councillor Janet Howarth is a member of the group can she explain why the water feature never works,newt one year,can;t get a pump another,not sure what they said for this year,its the only water feature in the whole town and CCBC can;t even run that.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #79 on: September 11, 2012, 07:50:58 pm »
I virtually had to hold Wrex back on Sunday when he found out that the head of CCBC Parks Dept, Peter Barton-Price was in attendance.  :P

Seriously, the Friends Group have made a good start and are certainly getting stuck into the hard work. I'm sure things will get sorted out in due course.

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #80 on: September 11, 2012, 11:10:08 pm »
It was Ian;s event and all in a good cause so i was not going to cause a scene Dave,lucky for him ,i would have loved to have ripped into his dept ;s disgraceful showing this year. :laugh:

Offline Blodyn

« Reply #81 on: September 12, 2012, 09:28:56 pm »
Sunday's was a joint event between CCBC and Breast Cancer Care Cymru and showed how well Happy Valley can be used.  The Friends of Happy Valley would certainly welcome more events like that. 

The Friends will be having an audit walk through Happy Valley with the Parks Department staff to discuss what needs to be done.  Don't worry, Wrex, the cascade will be mentioned again! 

The concrete "LLANDUDNO" sign was apparently put in as a base on which to set out containers of flowers.  The Friends agree that, without the flowers, it is very unattractive. 

The next working party will be on Monday 24 September, meeting at Headlands Hotel at 11.00 am, to continue the work around the Colonnade area.  A large amount of scrub and litter has already been removed but there is still plenty of work needed to clear and tidy this area leading into Happy Valley. 

Offline Blodyn

« Reply #82 on: September 24, 2012, 09:08:12 am »
The working party planned for today has been cancelled due to the rather inclement weather.

A new date will be arranged and I'll post it here.

Offline Blodyn

« Reply #83 on: October 03, 2012, 10:36:03 pm »
There will be another working party on Tuesday 9 October (weather permitting), when the "heavy mob" from the Parks Department should be busy with chain saws etc taking out sycamores from the side of Camera Hill facing the town.  They plan to start work at 8.00 am, after coning off the top end of Hill Terrace the previous evening.  Any assistance in removing the debris will be gratefully received, so that the "heavy mob" can concentrate on the technical part of the job.  I haven't got a particular time for the working party - if you've got some time to spare that day, please just turn up and see if there's anything to be done. 

Efforts are being made to clear and tidy this part of happy Valley before the next event there:

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #84 on: October 04, 2012, 08:10:39 am »
Excellent! Just to add, if they are coming back at some point, that the view of the 'Llandudno' flowerbed is obscured from the pier by small trees growing on the seaward side of Marine Drive.

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #85 on: October 04, 2012, 06:45:50 pm »
Dave will the tour include the abandoned water feature or do CCBC plan on restoring it intime for this event,nothing like flowing water.

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #86 on: October 04, 2012, 07:13:10 pm »
I do realise its Peter Barton-Price i need to speak to about our water feature,we could do with one on bog island,a nice fountain to admire.

Offline Blodyn

« Reply #87 on: October 16, 2012, 03:04:07 pm »
The next working party will be tomorrow (Wednesday 17th), meeting at Headlands Hotel at 11.00 am. 

The "heavy mob" cleared a lot of sycamore, etc. but I've not been on the pier to see whether they have yet cleared the trees which were obstructing the "Llandudno" sign.  Has anybody noticed? 

The Friends of Happy Valley are trying to arrange a date for a walk through Happy Valley with the Parks Department, to discuss what needs to be done or how the Valley might be improved.  Don't worry, Wrex, the water feature will definitely be on the list!

Hope a lot of people will turn out to support the Fun Day and daffodil planting on Sunday.  The Friends of Happy Valley will be there - look out for the green jerkins with "Friends of Happy Valley" on the back and do speak to someone if you're interested in joining or if you've got any suggestions for the Valley. 

Offline Blongb

• Management board member
  • I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #88 on: October 16, 2012, 04:46:05 pm »

The "heavy mob" cleared a lot of sycamore, etc. but I've not been on the pier to see whether they have yet cleared the trees which were obstructing the "Llandudno" sign.  Has anybody noticed? 

Yes Blodyn we helped clear the one's from the zig-zag path last Wednesday and then the Council work party came back on Thursday last and cleared the sycamores which were along the bank by the sign
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #89 on: October 16, 2012, 05:21:12 pm »
Thank you Blodwyn,there is nothing like a waterfall.