Author Topic: Miscellaney  (Read 55999 times)

Offline suepp

• Ad Free Member
Re: Miscellaney
« Reply #105 on: February 01, 2016, 01:04:36 pm »
Photographs were displayed on Blue Badges at one time but were discontinued  presumably for confidentiality. I have been ticketed when supporting  the owner of a blue badge for the very first time because I displayed it the wrong way round! Mobility issues are not the only criteria for obtaining a badge, they could be due to sensory impairments, chronic illness or severe learning disabilities, and the application  form is very thorough. They also expire after  I think three years so the holders have to re-apply. One of the things I am grateful for when supporting a Blue Badge holder is the width of the spaces, so that when helping someone in and out of the car - (not necessarily because they struggle physically) -  the door can be opened fully.

Offline suepp

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #106 on: February 01, 2016, 01:35:23 pm »
I'm pretty sure also, that photos have to be sent with the application form so this will be on record as you also have to supply registration numbers of the cars that the person will travel in.

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #107 on: February 01, 2016, 02:46:34 pm »
I'm pretty sure also, that photos have to be sent with the application form so this will be on record as you also have to supply registration numbers of the cars that the person will travel in.

Photos do have to be sent in and one of those photos is reproduced on the back of the blue holder,  the reg numbers of the car you normally drive also has to be stated but I'm not aware that they have to supply the reg numbers of other cars that they may travel in as that's impossible to predict.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #108 on: February 02, 2016, 08:18:28 am »
I came across this article in Ian's favourite paper the DFM and couldn't believe how someone could be so petty.   This is what the owner said:-

'I didn't consent for my horse to photobomb your selfie': Owner whose animal starred in prizewinning photo complains that no one asked her for permission

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3426200/Family-selfie-photobombed-horse-wins-2-000-holiday-jealous-owner-brands-shameful-didn-t-consent-photographing-animal.html#ixzz3yzoX4YnM
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Offline Chompy78

« Reply #109 on: February 02, 2016, 08:38:12 am »
Thanks for the explanation about the disability being not always visable. Reading information about the blue badge system, it appears to be only for "mobility" disabilities.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/wales/consumer/transport/driving-and-parking/driving-and-parking-for-disabled-people/the-blue-badge-scheme/who-is-eligible-for-a-blue-badge-w/

I've no issues with the disabled parking, but like some responses here, it's more the frustrating parking on double/single yellow lines. In some case completely blocking roads, accesses and such. Trying to get around Conwy and Llandudno is sometimes a nightmare. Seeing a couple of people in their late 20's or 30's pull up on double yellow line and block a road and go into a shop to get cigarettes was the most annoying thing I've seen.

Unfortunately, it's probably the minority making it look bad for the rest.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #110 on: February 02, 2016, 09:36:25 am »
I've also never understood why Blue Badge Holders can park on double yellow lines. Surely the double yellow lines are there to protect visibility for other road users/pedestrians etc?

Offline suepp

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #111 on: February 02, 2016, 12:42:47 pm »
one example of where you can park on double yellow is behind Boots, so you would not be obscuring anything. you just have to make sure you are nowhere near the yellow lines that drop down from the pavement.

Offline suepp

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #112 on: February 02, 2016, 12:46:43 pm »

Photos do have to be sent in and one of those photos is reproduced on the back of the blue holder,  the reg numbers of the car you normally drive also has to be stated but I'm not aware that they have to supply the reg numbers of other cars that they may travel in as that's impossible to predict.
More recent badges don't have the photo on them, but you do have to send them in with the application. As far as the registration numbers are concerned, I had to put mine down on someones application as a vehicle that the badgeholder will be travelling in, but  I agree, it isn't a great system. I always carry my work ID card when supporting a blue badge holder  in my car.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #113 on: February 03, 2016, 08:57:06 am »
one example of where you can park on double yellow is behind Boots, so you would not be obscuring anything. you just have to make sure you are nowhere near the yellow lines that drop down from the pavement.
It makes me wonder why there needs to be double yellow lines there in the first place then.  ;D

Offline Chompy78

« Reply #114 on: February 03, 2016, 07:33:37 pm »
Haha, maybe we need triple lines where no one can park. Maybe eventually we'll end up with quintuple lines.

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #115 on: February 03, 2016, 08:43:28 pm »
Liverpool Airport has continuous red lines and nobody dare park or even stop on those.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #116 on: July 08, 2017, 11:47:43 pm »
As a measure of how dull my life is, today was one of the greatest and most enjoyable days of my life.
All because I got a new vacuum cleaner that actually WORKS!
I've had Dysons, Vax's, Electrolux, you name it.. over the years and I've always been disappointed with them.
I was told to try a £60 Hoover Blaze from B&M, (RRP £99), so I thought what the hell, give it a try.
Well it's a beast of a machine, it's fantastic, I never knew vacuums could be so powerful, but versatile with it.
The cherry on top of the icing on the cake.... I got to the till and it was only £39!!

I might never leave the house again.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #117 on: July 09, 2017, 01:15:13 pm »
We have been thinking of getting a cordless sweeper, (our vacuum is great, but a monster to use, we tend to put the job off unless absolutely necessary), anyone tried a cordless ? info please. Ta.

F. thanks for the heads up on the "Blaze" we are going to check it out tomorrow, I know it's not cordless, but may be easier to use, and it is a very good price. Ta.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #118 on: July 09, 2017, 03:32:28 pm »
Based on Fester's recommendation we have been to B&M and bought a Blaze, seems very good on first tests. Any problems and Fester will be the first to know lol!   $good$
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline snowcap

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #119 on: July 09, 2017, 10:26:51 pm »
got a cordless for the better half three weeks ago from T J Hughes £99 reduced from over £250 best cleaner she has ever had(apart from me) it's a hoover very light and would recommend it to anyone who hasn't got one.If you do get one Steve i don't think you will be sorry.