Author Topic: Miscellaney  (Read 57882 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: Local maps?
« Reply #90 on: March 23, 2013, 05:21:49 pm »
Llechwedd,  The secrets of the Great Orme is a map I often use and look at.  If you want to know anything about the Great Orme then it's on this map.   I got mine at the cafe by the Lighthouse on the Marine Drive so you've got a good excuse to have a nice latte and a cake while studying the map.
I would recommend it to anyone interested in the Great Orme.     $good$

Offline penpal

llandudno chamber of commerce
« Reply #91 on: July 26, 2013, 07:40:23 am »
I am trying to find out about the above chamber of commerce. Does anyone have any joining details or a website?  cheers

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: llandudno chamber of commerce
« Reply #92 on: July 26, 2013, 01:00:17 pm »
I am trying to find out about the above chamber of commerce. Does anyone have any joining details or a website?  cheers
Some contact info here:
http://www.stgeorgeswales.co.uk/llandudno-chamber-of-trade/

Offline TELL

Snooker
« Reply #93 on: December 30, 2013, 02:55:53 pm »
Hi, can anyone help my friend and I (both retired) find somewhere where we can have a friendly game of snooker on a weekday afternoon? Thanks, Tell.

Offline Blongb

• I love living in Llandudno.
Re: Snooker
« Reply #94 on: December 30, 2013, 03:12:04 pm »
Hi, can anyone help my friend and I (both retired) find somewhere where we can have a friendly game of snooker on a weekday afternoon? Thanks, Tell.

Hi Tell, The best place for someone of our age group to enjoy an afternoon game is the Conservative Club in Upper Mostyn Street (opposite the London Pub). They have two tables and the cheapest beer in town. The good news is it's time for memberships to be renewed so joining shouldn't be a problem. If you need a sponsor for membership please get in touch as I will be more than willing.  D)
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
Re: Miscellaney
« Reply #95 on: December 30, 2013, 03:38:50 pm »
There is also the Labour club in Llandudno Junction if you're nearer that way.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #96 on: December 30, 2013, 04:52:23 pm »
You could get your own pool table like we have!  $good$
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #97 on: December 30, 2013, 04:55:23 pm »
 :P That is awesome, would make me feel like I was in Lilliput

Offline TELL

Snooker
« Reply #98 on: January 01, 2014, 11:05:40 pm »
Hi Blongb,
Just in case I have messed up the methodology, I have sent you an email via this website.
No rush, it's just that I am not sure they actually went!
Thanks,
TELL

Offline Chompy78

New to area - blue badges
« Reply #99 on: January 31, 2016, 06:38:31 am »
Hi all. I'm new to the area, and I'm confused to this blue badge system here.
About 90% of the time I see someone with a blue badge park or leave, they definitely don't have mobility problem. A Google search seems to give very little. Is this abuse of the system just one of those things just accepted?

Offline Hugo

Re: New to area - blue badges
« Reply #100 on: January 31, 2016, 12:42:54 pm »
Hi all. I'm new to the area, and I'm confused to this blue badge system here.
About 90% of the time I see someone with a blue badge park or leave, they definitely don't have mobility problem. A Google search seems to give very little. Is this abuse of the system just one of those things just accepted?

That's a very definite and sweeping statement which I assume you have the qualifications to make,  but you do have a point.     I think the abuse of the system could be reduced if the photo of the card holder is displayed alongside the other information that needs to be displayed for parking purposes.

Offline Cambrian

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #101 on: January 31, 2016, 06:59:58 pm »
It's a difficult area.  Some people can qualify if they have a health issue that is not readily, visibly apparent, such as a heart condition or chronic asthma. The other thing to bear in mind is that the disabled person need not be the driver of the vehicle. What does seem wrong is that the badge confers the right to unlawful, inconsiderate parking - such as blocking dropped kerbs -which affects others with mobility issues. 

Offline Hugo

« Reply #102 on: January 31, 2016, 10:23:39 pm »
Cambrian, you are correct in what you say about the qualification for a blue badge and the holder of it need not be the driver, but the holder must be a passenger in the car or otherwise the blue badge should not be used.
The blue badge holders are not exempt from unlawful, inconsiderate parking - such as blocking dropped kerbs -which affects others with mobility issues.
If they break any of these regulations then quite rightly they should be prosecuted just like any other motorist.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #103 on: February 01, 2016, 12:56:51 am »
But... Blue Badge holders are allowed to park on double yellow lines,  by definition that surely is an unlawful or thoughtless place to park.
At best it inconveniences other drivers and pedestrians.
I couldn't believe that was true, until I saw many vehicles with blue badges parking in the most outrageous places.

Surely they should be allowed to park on single yellows, but not doubles?
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Hugo

« Reply #104 on: February 01, 2016, 09:03:40 am »
They are allowed to park on double yellow lines, but again if they park on corners or drop down curbs then they will face getting booked like anyone else.
When double yellow lines have two short yellow lines going across them, then even the blue badge holders cannot park there.
I think Chompey78's point was not where they were parking but the fact that the driver's didn't look disabled and that the system was being abused.
If their photo was displayed  on the front of the blue badge then it might deter relatives or others from borrowing and using a blue badge unlawfully.