Author Topic: Miscellaney  (Read 55957 times)

Offline Llechwedd

• Sixer
Miscellaney
« on: April 05, 2011, 11:51:37 am »
The new owners of Top Table in Lloyd Street have discovered a pretty Victorian fire place in the back room.  I remember it as Westmorelands toy shop, sadly 50 years ago.  Anyone know what it was originally?  Could it have been a shop with steps up to the living room?

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: Fire place
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2011, 11:53:24 am »
I was looking at the fireplace when I was in there the other day, very nice tiling. I think you're right, it would have been some sort of living area.

Offline suepp

• Ad Free Member
Re: Fire place
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2011, 01:00:31 pm »
in 1929 it was the home as well as the business of the proprietor A.Westmoreland

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
Puffin Hotel?
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2011, 03:44:01 pm »
I have had a request today as to where the Puffin Hotel was in Llandudno.
Anyone know please?
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: Puffin Hotel?
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2011, 03:55:33 pm »
Could it be this one?

[smg id=2121]

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2011, 03:58:52 pm »
Many thanks Dave.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2011, 04:32:56 pm »
No 9 Neville Crescent is  called the White Lodge now but could the person have been referring to the Puffin Hotel in Penmaenmawr?

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2011, 05:36:25 pm »
Thanks Hugo, but she was going back a number of years and said it was near the little funfair which used to be at the side of the Arcadia. She has gone now to investigate, so we'll see if she finds the right place. She is trying to bring back some child hood memories of holidays with her parents.

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2011, 10:30:53 pm »
I think Dave and Hugo are both right, the Puffin is now the left-hand end of the Kensington (if you follow me). It was owned by the Beardmore's at one time who sold it and bought next door ie the Kensington and presumably at some point since, bought the Puffin back (re-named the White Lodge in the meantime I think), the whole to form the present Kensington.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2011, 10:51:29 am »
Thanks all, the lady in question is most impressed and hopefully is interested in joining us all

Offline juno

A Weekend Break
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2011, 02:30:23 pm »
Hello there, I am a student and am currently considering a cheap weekend break to North Wales. I've been to Colwyn Bay briefly before and loved the local scenery. I was just wondering if anyone has any recommendations about where to stay in the 'three towns' area? I will be travelling with my girlfriend so a bed and breakfast or cheap hotel would be ideal. Any other recommendations, i.e. attractions, pubs, restaurants etc, would also be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
Re: A Weekend Break
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2011, 08:03:42 pm »
Hi Juno,

If coming to beauiful Llandudno, take a look at the special offers from Brittania Hotels ... (The Grand Hotel Llandudno is one of them)
They do some excellent 3, 4 or 5 day offers...   

You might find you are the youngest people in there ... but you could also just book it Bed and Breakfast, meaning that you can explore the bars and cafes each evening and eat in different places.
 ££$ ££$ ££$
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2011, 08:05:04 pm »
If coming to beauiful Llandudno, take a look at the special offers from Brittania Hotels ... (The Grand Hotel Llandudno is one of them)
They do some excellent 3, 4 or 5 day offers...   
http://www.britanniahotels.com/hotels/llandudno/hotel-offers

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2011, 08:48:42 pm »
Ah... thanks Dave, in hindsight I spelled it wrong too !
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline TheMedz

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2011, 09:10:22 pm »
Walking along  the front last night I noticed the hotels between the Hydro and St Georges seemed to be offering some good "last minute" deals. There also some good "bijou" hotels/ guest houses to be found on Abbey Road.

My  other recommendations however would be amongst all the other attractions in the town would be to take some time to play a round at Mike's Great Orme Golf Course on Llwynon Road or to take a walk in the fresh air along the pier and try out the wide variety of shops to be found down there.