Author Topic: Food and drink  (Read 11678 times)

Yorkie

Food and drink
« on: March 31, 2011, 05:51:11 pm »
This afternoon I was cooking some steak and kidney mixture and used half a can of Guiness.  As neither the Mrs or I like Guiness the residue was poured away (sacrilidge I hear you say).  As I was about to throw the can away something was rattling inside.  A quick cut with a pair of scissors opened the can and out popped a small plastic ball, a bit like a half size ping-pong ball.  Does anyone know what it is for???
 Z**    Z**    Z**    Z**    Z**

brumbob

Re: Irish Ale
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2011, 05:53:27 pm »

Yorkie

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2011, 06:40:23 pm »
Well, well, well!   Now I know.   Anyone for (table) tennis?     L0L    Z**

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2011, 10:59:26 pm »
Yes... and there are glasses with an etched pattern which do the same job in pubs.
They keep the beer fresh and lively.

Ask for one in the Fat Cat or the Cottage Loaf .. maybe others.  I don't know how I survived without them.   Z** Z** Z**
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Trojan

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2011, 12:54:53 am »
Seems a good place to display my favorite postcard again.  Z**

I often buy draft Guinness from the supermarket. It's actually brewed in Ireland as opposed to the stout I used to buy back home, which was brewed in London.

brumbob

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2011, 07:05:52 am »
Yes... and there are glasses with an etched pattern which do the same job in pubs.

Ask for one in the Fat Cat or the Cottage Loaf .. maybe others.  I don't know how I survived without them.   Z** Z** Z**
I've heard that your beer doesn't 'survive' for long in your glass anyway  :laugh:

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2011, 08:06:19 am »
I often buy draft Guinness from the supermarket. It's actually brewed in Ireland as opposed to the stout I used to buy back home, which was brewed in London.
I believe they have closed the London brewery now and all UK/Ireland Guinness is brewed in Dublin.  $drink1$

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2011, 11:23:12 am »

I've heard that your beer doesn't 'survive' for long in your glass anyway  :laugh:

Ha ha.... well, I do keep hearing that local pubs are suffering, so I like to do my bit for this noble charity  Z**   
It certainly won't be my fault if another pub closes!
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Trojan

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2011, 02:10:06 am »
I believe they have closed the London brewery now and all UK/Ireland Guinness is brewed in Dublin.  $drink1$

Aye, the Park Royal brewery closed and was demolished in 2005.  :'(

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2011, 06:33:18 pm »
There is now a new way to serve Guinness called the Surger,  its a good idea for pubs as Guinness is not only one of the most expensive drinks to buy wholesale but unless you have a constant flow of sales the product can also quickly go stale resulting in poor quality.  Guinness can be a nightmare honestly.  So this little invention is ideal.  You can use cans and the device ensures excellent quality every time with no waste.

The Surger device sees bar staff pouring a special can of Guinness, which does not include a widget, into a pint glass. The glass is put on an electronic plate that releases soundwaves into the liquid and creates a creamy head.

Only hindsight has 20/20 vision
Angiegram - A romantic notion derived from the more mundane truth.

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Yorkie

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2011, 06:49:59 pm »
You can do the same job with a Phillips Electronic vibrating toothbrush.  Or any vibrating device, whatever is handy at the time!    _))*

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2011, 08:39:07 am »
He he I can see it now,  Bar tenders armed with the the usual bottle opener and Braun Oral B or the Ann Summers RR  :o (if you don't know what the RR is, I'm afraid I'm not about to explain) either was the Surger is best  _))*

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2011, 09:16:37 am »
The Guinness Surger was originally developed for home use and was sold as a gift set of the surger unit and two special cans of Guinness. Unfortunately, it wasn't a great success and the special cans were withdrawn from retail sale, leaving the surger unit useless. Good work, Diageo!

I think part of the appeal of Guinness in a pub is the ritual of the barperson pouring it.  $sunny$

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2011, 09:26:48 am »
I'll stick with the widget in the can at home, seems much easier!!  Z**
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2011, 09:36:27 am »
The unit is now coming into it's own with more and more outlets installing the device.