Author Topic: Query on ancestor of Drew Pritchard.  (Read 2911 times)

Offline Helig

• Management board member
Query on ancestor of Drew Pritchard.
« on: January 19, 2022, 10:58:57 am »
I was watching the antique programme featuring Drew Pritchard recently and he mentioned his gt grandfather had driven railway engines in Llandudno Junction. In view of my railway ancestors who worked in the area, I wondered who this might have been. Does anyone have information, or knowledge, of who this might have been please? I have tried to trace this person using online sites but have drawn a blank.

Helig.

Offline Hugo

Re: Query on ancestor of Drew Pritchard.
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2022, 11:16:25 am »
For my sins I am related to that person on my mother's side but have no idea who his Gt Grandfather was.    However there are a number of railway enthusiasts in the area who may know.
I believe that there is a railway club (s) still in the area and if I can get any info then I'll post it on here

Offline Hugo

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2022, 05:29:20 pm »
This is not the info you are after Helig but it's an interesting article on the railway at Llandudno Junction

https://www.deganwyhistory.co.uk/en/llandudno-junction-in-the-1950s-david-williams/

My connection is with Drew's Grandmother Bessie but I don't even know the name of his Grandfather who lived in Ffordd Tudno  Llandudno.     If you can find that out then you could check on the Census records and work back.http

A friend of mine Derek Williams who worked on the railways in Llandudno Junction wrote a book and I've attached a link below for that

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Loco-Shed-Llandudno-Junction-1920s/dp/1845270991

Here's another railway link     
http://6gshed.co.uk/reviewpage.htm

Offline SAJ

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2022, 07:56:50 pm »
Derek Williams is my cousin and I’m about to write to him with some info discovered from the 1921 Census. I could ask him about this topic. (I was catching up on family letter writing today but ran out of stamps before I got to him on the list).

Offline Hugo

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2022, 11:09:11 pm »
If you do write to him please pass on to him my best wishes.      I've attached a photo of the Llandudno YC  football team when we played at Borough United's football ground in a Youth Cup Final
Derek is on the far left of the front row and I'm immediately behind him.  That photo must have been taken about 61 years ago!

Offline Hugo

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2022, 09:47:02 am »
Helig,   I don't know if this info may help but John Pritchard  ( Grandfather)  married Elizabeth Roberts in 1940   ( Sept Q at the Conway Registration District.)
Elizabeth whose mother was Hughes before she got married was born in 1917.      I did trace a John Pritchard who was born 1908 in the Conway District but because of my limited access to free sites I cannot confirm that this is the Grandfather.     
A search in the 1911 or 1921 Census may show John and could also give you the occupation and name of John's father

Offline Helig

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2022, 10:59:14 am »
Thank you for all this information.

The trouble is that there are so many people by the name of John Pritchard and it is impossible to trace him for certain. I tried to work back from a birth for Drew Pritchard but couldn't find this. Does anyone know if he had another name? Is Drew short for Andrew?

I seem to think that Drew took St George's Church on Church Walks back in the early 2000s. I went in there to see what was going on after they closed it as a church. There was a business operating from it restoring and selling stained glass, plus other glass for sale. My parents married there so I have an interest in what goes on.

The railway book sounds of interest and I will order it. There were quite a few relations who worked in Llandudno Junction as well as others in the area such as Llandudno and Deganwy. My mother worked in Llandudno and Deganwy during WW2 as stationmaster's secretary and in the booking office. My grandfather was around there as well. At some point I think he went on to the commercial side of the railway and travelled round the area. Gt grandfather was in Holyhead, having been transferred from Mold.

Helig

Offline Hugo

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2022, 12:08:47 pm »
The trouble is that there are so many people by the name of John Pritchard and it is impossible to trace him for certain. I tried to work back from a birth for Drew Pritchard but couldn't find this. Does anyone know if he had another name? Is Drew short for Andrew?

I seem to think that Drew took St George's Church on Church Walks back in the early 2000s. I went in there to see what was going on after they closed it as a church. There was a business operating from it restoring and selling stained glass, plus other glass for sale. My parents married there so I have an interest in what goes on.
Helig

He was born Andrew Thomas Pritchard in June 1970 at Llandudno and his father is John Leslie Pritchard a well known local Stained Glass designer