Author Topic: Great Orme Gunsite Memoirs  (Read 93222 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: Great Orme Gunsite Memoirs
« Reply #120 on: December 13, 2011, 06:53:27 pm »
Sorry Martin but mine cost £4.99 from the Conwy Archives.

Ed, I didn't realise that you left Llandudno so early until Tonyf posted something on here.  The last time I remember talking to you was by Thomsons Newsagents in South Parade. I was with Wyn Griffin when we met you and I think that you lived round the corner in Somerset Street. Must have been about 50 years ago!

Offline martin

« Reply #121 on: December 13, 2011, 07:23:53 pm »
Hugo, you can go off people you know!   There's me thinking I had the bargain of the year.   Where are these mystical archives please? 

Offline Hugo

« Reply #122 on: December 13, 2011, 07:37:04 pm »
Hugo, you can go off people you know!   There's me thinking I had the bargain of the year.   Where are these mystical archives please?

The old Lloyd Street School next to the Lifeboat Station.        $hands$

Offline martin

« Reply #123 on: December 13, 2011, 07:50:58 pm »
Thanks Hugo, I am still on crutches having broken my ankle in three places so I want to get as close as possible to it, I take it it is in Llandudno, is it the building just past the church in Lloyd Street?  (I don't know where the lifeboat station is).

Offline Hugo

« Reply #124 on: December 14, 2011, 10:44:32 am »
I've just sent a PM for you Martin.

The Conwy Archives open on the 28th December after Christmas but then close on the 29th December and then reopen in the new year on 3rd January 2012.

Offline ed jones

« Reply #125 on: December 14, 2011, 09:49:29 pm »
Martin, many thaks for that. I'm off to Amazon

Offline Hugo

« Reply #126 on: December 15, 2011, 01:37:06 pm »
1851 Census showing Isaac Jones' address as " Cave by Gogarth"

Offline Hugo

« Reply #127 on: December 15, 2011, 07:55:31 pm »
Sorry but the Census date was 1861 not 1851       :-[

Offline Welshmunchkin

• Peace can only be achieved by understanding
« Reply #128 on: December 15, 2011, 08:00:13 pm »
There is also a book of photos written by Jim Roberts in Asda Llandudno
The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.  --Stephen Hawking

God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know - it's me!    --John G. Miller

Offline martin

« Reply #129 on: December 15, 2011, 08:15:07 pm »
There is also a book of photos written by Jim Roberts in Asda Llandudno

Do you know which one it was?  He has done quite a few on Llandudno. $walesflag$

Offline Welshmunchkin

• Peace can only be achieved by understanding
« Reply #130 on: December 16, 2011, 11:15:10 am »
No I'm sorry I don't. I was in a bit of a hurry and just picked it up but didn't take in the title. It was full of pictures, as you would expect, but to be honest most of them I had seen before, indeed I used to have prints of some of them on my wall in the 1970's.
One of my favourite books about Llandudno is "Llandudno Queen of the Welsh Resorts", and again in the 1970's I worked through the book taking all the suggested walks. Loved it! So interesting.
The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.  --Stephen Hawking

God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know - it's me!    --John G. Miller

Offline martin

« Reply #131 on: December 16, 2011, 11:56:56 am »
No I'm sorry I don't. I was in a bit of a hurry and just picked it up but didn't take in the title. It was full of pictures, as you would expect, but to be honest most of them I had seen before, indeed I used to have prints of some of them on my wall in the 1970's.
One of my favourite books about Llandudno is "Llandudno Queen of the Welsh Resorts", and again in the 1970's I worked through the book taking all the suggested walks. Loved it! So interesting.

Thanks for that information, I have seen, "Llandudno Queen of the Welsh Resorts", advertised on the same site I am getting the one I ordered from, sound really nice, especially as it contains walks.  At present I am still recovering from breaking my ankle in three placing in June, as one of the breaks was to the joint, it is taking a long time, but I love walking so when I am once again fit, I will do some of the walks.  Thanks again for you reply.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #132 on: December 16, 2011, 06:46:49 pm »
Christopher Draper wrote a book " Walks with history-Llandudno"       I haven't read it yet, but if it's like his other book " Llandudno before the hotels" it should be good.
Hope that you soon get over your injury as I know how much pleasure you can get from the walks. I've trapped a nerve in my back so have not done any walks for nearly 3 months.    :(

Offline martin

« Reply #133 on: December 16, 2011, 07:04:11 pm »
Christopher Draper wrote a book " Walks with history-Llandudno"       I haven't read it yet, but if it's like his other book " Llandudno before the hotels" it should be good.
Hope that you soon get over your injury as I know how much pleasure you can get from the walks. I've trapped a nerve in my back so have not done any walks for nearly 3 months.    :(
Thank you Hugo both for the information and the good wishes.  I have this week reached another milestone and chucked the crutches into a dark corner, so now I really am a hop along, I am hopeful of a good if not full recovery by next spring.  Mind you, what car do you drive, from what I have read, steel toecaps are the order of the day when walking around Conwy. _))* _))*

Offline Hugo

« Reply #134 on: December 16, 2011, 07:31:02 pm »
What can I say only " it wasn't me your honour"     and no I'm not going on the Jeremy Kyle Show and doing a lie detector test either!       :twoface: