Author Topic: Great Orme Gunsite Memoirs  (Read 93155 times)

Offline Blodyn

Re: Great Orme Gunsite Memoirs
« Reply #105 on: September 27, 2011, 03:00:05 pm »
Thanks for the information on the leaflet, Jack, I've got a copy now.  The leaflet's very interesting as far as it goes but it does make it sound as if the story of the gunsite ended with the end of the war, while thanks to the contributors to this thread we know better.  A post-war version of the leaflet would be interesting, too. 

Offline RichieC

Re: Quigg's Great Orme Gunsite Memoirs
« Reply #106 on: October 22, 2011, 12:31:46 pm »
Are you sure about the blasting of the road tunnels? I always understood that they were constructed around 1935/6.  Do you think you heard blasting in the many quarries in that area?

Forumers interested in the particularly technical construction of the Penmaenmawr to Llanfairfechan section during the early 1930's and the lifetime history of the A55 in the west of Conwy section will be well informed by referring to this thorough and entertaining article

http://www.meccanoindex.co.uk/MMpage.php?MID=12528&id=1319282681

*Please note that there is a second page to this article which can be accessed by clicking on the 'Page Forward/Page Backward' arrows on the top left-hand corner of the article itself.

Offline DVT

• Management board member
« Reply #107 on: December 10, 2011, 09:50:15 pm »
With talk of the Gunsite being used by learner drivers etc. jogged a memory, if I'm correct wasn't one of the first fatalities,( if not the first,) of a go-cart driver, being killed.   Happened   when driving round the large hump in the middle of the site?     ^*^0

I'm a new member and only just found this thread, which makes fascinating reading - thanks to all contributors.

I've highlighted this posting as I am the archivist for North Wales Car Club, which was formed in 1956 from the Llandudno Motor & Aero Club.  I have all the minute books from that time right up to present!

I have been led to believe that the "lads" who used to go go-karting were part of the group that formed the NWCC.  Does anyone have any more info on this, or dates of when the tragic incident happened - I think 1953 or 1954, but guessing a bit.

The afore-mentioned Frank Tyldesley was one of the early NWCC members.  He competed on the RAC Rally in 1954 in an Austin Westminster, navigated by Geoff Flint (Estate Agent) and Fred Ward (who emigrated to Canada).

Thanks for any info!

Offline Cambrian

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #108 on: December 11, 2011, 11:45:45 am »
I recall this tragic accident happened in the mid-1960s.  The young man (whose name might be Colin) was testing a go-kart which flipped over and he unfortunately sustained fatal injuries.  I think he worked at the now demolished garage in Bodhyfryd Road. Hope this gives you some leads.

Offline ed jones

« Reply #109 on: December 11, 2011, 03:36:44 pm »
Miriam yr ogof JONES was my great grandmother. My dad was Ted yr ogof, boatman and fisherman who died in 1965, there is a monument to him on the prom not too far from the jetty steps where he died. I don't have much information on my Grandmother other than she lived in a cave on the Great Orme where she brought up numerous kids, 'some woman'.
Tony f is a good mate of mine we joined the fleet air arm together in 1964. We recently met up again after 40 odd years in Torquay of all places.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #110 on: December 11, 2011, 05:29:45 pm »
Miriam was a remarkable woman Ed, she lived in a cave which I believe was on the old maps as Gogarth cave and the cave is now hidden by the garage door in St Petrocks. The cave was in the way for the construction of the Marine Drive but Miriam refused to leave the cave unless Mostyn Estates gave her a cottage which they did. She ran a business from the cottage called Gogarth Tea Rooms and the remains of the cottage are still there.
I pass it often when I walk around the Orme and the kitchen tiles are still there and well preserved.
I used to speak to you Dad often on the Prom and Ted always knew every one of us and had a word every time we went by. A lovely guy who died far too young.

Offline jane B

« Reply #111 on: December 11, 2011, 07:58:28 pm »
What a great story! A remarkable family!

Offline Hugo

« Reply #112 on: December 12, 2011, 11:06:58 am »
These are some of the photos of Miriam that appeared in Jim Roberts' book Llandudno.  The books great and I've read it so often some of the pages have fallen out!
The last photo is of the steps that Miriam was pictured on. They're still here and often think of her in the old photo of over 100 years ago when I walk past them

Offline Llechwedd

• Sixer
« Reply #113 on: December 12, 2011, 11:11:05 am »
I've often wondered where those steps led to!

Hey Ed we went to school together. I thought you wanted to join the navy?

Offline martin

« Reply #114 on: December 12, 2011, 11:34:44 am »
Hugo it is really fascinating that someone could live in a cave in this country and live to such a ripe old age, do you have the full details of the publication please, I would really like to try and obtain a copy from the 'tinternet.  Thank you for posting such an interesting story.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #115 on: December 12, 2011, 07:02:48 pm »
Hugo it is really fascinating that someone could live in a cave in this country and live to such a ripe old age, do you have the full details of the publication please, I would really like to try and obtain a copy from the 'tinternet.  Thank you for posting such an interesting story.

Martin, the cuttings I found by accident in the Conwy Archives and I actually bought Jim Roberts' book called "Llandudno" from there too. I don't know of any books that tell just of the life of Miriam Yr Ogof but I'll copy a passage from Ivor Wynne Jones' book "Llandudno Queen of the Welsh resorts" for you.
The garage of St Petrocks is all that is left of a natural chamber from which Llandudno's last cave dwellers were displaced in 1877 to make way for the Marine Drive. During the 40 years that they lived in the cave Miriam and Isaac Jones had reared 15 children, including 3 sets of twins. Isaac who was born in Amlwch in 1811, was seriously injured when he tried to fly by tying seagull wings to his arms and leaping into space, but Miriam nursed him back to health in the cave and he lived to be an octogenarian. They refused to leave the cave until the Marine Drive company gave them a cottage, where Miriam died in 1910 aged 91.

Offline martin

« Reply #116 on: December 12, 2011, 07:21:50 pm »
Thanks for that Hugo, it is an unbelievable story, what lives they led, look at us today, we really do not know we are born.  I went on Amazon and have found several publications by Jim Roberts on the past time of Llandudno, I have ordered one and will let you know what it contains when it arrives,  it is 128 pages of old photographs of the town so it should be interesting.  Thanks again for the onfo.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #117 on: December 13, 2011, 04:53:39 pm »
This is St Petrocks and the cave is behind the garage door on the left of the photo.

Offline ed jones

« Reply #118 on: December 13, 2011, 05:08:58 pm »
Hugo, many thanks for that information. I have only just found three towns forum thanks to Tony f. I moved away from Llandudno in 1964 and I now only visit occasionally, Next time I'm there I will visit the Conwy Archives and also will buy a copy of Jim ROBERTS book. Llechwedd, who are you? If you look at the members list you will see I can be contacted by e mail.Memories of school are dim, apart from the girls and football!

Offline martin

« Reply #119 on: December 13, 2011, 06:00:09 pm »
Hello Ed, I have just ordered one of his books from Amazon, he has written quite a few and I now think the one I am getting is not the one that contains the photos of Miriam.  But Amazon is the place to go, there are some sellers charging around £12, but if you look around there are some far cheaper sellers,  mine is from The Book Depository Ltd and is brand new and costing just over £7 including P&P.  Like you I have only recently found this site, there is some really interesting stuff on  here, the old postcards are well worth a look.  Regards  Martin