Author Topic: Great Orme Gunsite Memoirs  (Read 93181 times)

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
Re: Great Orme Gunsite Memoirs
« Reply #75 on: April 05, 2011, 04:47:51 pm »
Like a lot of members I have enjoyed reading these great posts. The short story I am now going to write is the first time I have EVER mentioned this to anyone----I was far too frightened and, I might add, ashamed of myself. The same period of time, around 1941 , I was by myself on the upper slopes of the Orme, more or less above the gun sites, mucking around by myelf, probably skipped school, aged around 11. Yes, thats right. Eleven. Having cycled all the way from Rhos. And I came from a very protective family who kept a very close eye on me, by the standards of that time!!!  I spotted a small boulder about twice the size of a football. I wondered what would happen if I started it rolling down, there was a small mound of "spoil" from one of the mine tunnels, I thought it would stop there. So,off it went, bounced straight over the spoil right down to the Marine Drive, became airbourne and shot right across the road and smashed into a thousand pieces against the wall on the far side. I was terrified and quite expected to be arrested when I came off the Orme. Fortunately, of course, there was no one much around apart from soldiers at the gunsite. But, I could have killed a couple of forum members when they were at a very young age if they had been in the wrong place at the wrong time. Mike

Offline tonyf

« Reply #76 on: April 05, 2011, 07:00:34 pm »
Hi Hugo, yes it's one of those houses. I read somewhere that the 3 concrete gun emplacements were buried under one of them. Best way to tell is if the original gate (or it's replacement) is still there. Our house would be about 50 yards further on with a road to the left. Must have a look next time I'm home. Thanks anyway Hugo, much appreciated.

Offline Blodyn

« Reply #77 on: April 06, 2011, 11:58:33 am »
Many thanks for all those stories, Quiggs and Tony F, like the other Forum members I have thoroughly enjoyed reading them.  I had had no idea that anyone had lived at the gunsite after the war and I will look at it in a new light next time I'm walking there. 

Mike, I hope that your experience cured you of the tendency to thow rocks - or do I need to watch out when walking near your golf course!

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #78 on: April 06, 2011, 01:18:49 pm »
I think that you need to keep your eye on wayward golf balls Blodyn now that Mike has matured but what Mike has said reminded me of a story my friends told me.  It was just a childish prank but could have had serious consequences.
In my early teens  two friends took me down to the Hiding Cave just below the Rest and Be Thankful.  In those days it was a safe zig zag walk down the steep narrow valley and at the bottom of it was a cliff but there was a path below it that led to the cave. After seeing the cave, table,bench etc we came back to the cliff edge.
At one time the edge of the cliff must have been fenced off but all that remained of it was a single 2 inch angle iron pole which was bang in the middle of this narrow valley.
They then told me what happened on their last visit to the cave.  AA who  was the elder of the two had walked half way up the valley, while RW stayed by the cliff edge.   AA then rolled a large rock down the valley and it carried on rolling and rolling and there was no where that RW  could go to other than behind this angle iron post.
The rock hit the post with such force that the rock split in two and both pieces fell into the sea below.   :o
RW was so lucky as it could easily have had tragic consequences.

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #79 on: April 06, 2011, 04:31:52 pm »
 hi quiggs  just showed my sister your stories brings back memories ,she said you had the poshest house there lol, i also remember more of your names now

Offline margo

« Reply #80 on: April 06, 2011, 09:30:58 pm »
i have really enjoyed reading the memories of forum members about the gunsites and would love to hear of any other stories that members recall, it is all part of the history of the area and i never get tired of reading about it.

Offline Quiggs

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #81 on: April 06, 2011, 09:43:00 pm »
Hugo, the gun foundations that Tony mentions, can just be made out, by the shadow at the right hand edge of your photo. The building is on the field that I camped in and was behind Tony's home.
Dictum Meum Pactum

Offline Hugo

« Reply #82 on: April 14, 2011, 04:20:26 pm »
I had a walk on the Gunsite today and after you go through the gate, there is a fenced off bit on the left with a gate and notice saying keep out private property and the area is thickly covered in brambles. After about 100 yards there is a concrete foundation on the left that must have been a building at some time ( just before the info board)  a bit further on there is a road to the left but all I could see was a concrete bunker.   Is that the area where you lived Tony?.   
I seem to remember small circular concrete structures about 4 foot high that had a circular rail inside for the anti aircraft guns to run on and they were dotted around the site but all the evidence has long since gone.  After disturbing the rabbits I carried on up the sloping path through the sweet smelling Gorse and had a look down at Squatters rock where I enjoyed many happy hours fishing when I was much younger. Then to Hornby Cove before a steep climb up to the Marine Drive.    :)

Offline Hugo

« Reply #83 on: April 14, 2011, 04:22:46 pm »
Gun site walk

Offline Hugo

« Reply #84 on: April 14, 2011, 04:25:48 pm »
Gun site

Offline Trojan

« Reply #85 on: April 14, 2011, 05:56:52 pm »
Hornby Cave - I remember bumping into Bernard Cribbins there once.

Orme Vixen

« Reply #86 on: April 14, 2011, 06:19:24 pm »

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #87 on: April 14, 2011, 08:31:40 pm »
Hugo, I remember these circular concrete fixtures but not on the Great Orme, I remember them from the Little Orme. But, I dont think they were anti aircraft guns as you state, they were anti shipping. Mike

Offline Trojan

« Reply #88 on: April 14, 2011, 09:16:12 pm »
And his friends?

That was that daft batt Mike. What was his surname......?

Offline Hugo

« Reply #89 on: April 15, 2011, 11:56:25 am »
Mike, you are correct in saying that the guns were anti shipping and not anti aircraft as I thought.   Have a look at the Coast Artillery School Llandudno site which shows you photos of the guns as well as a lot more info.