Author Topic: Great Orme Gunsite Memoirs  (Read 93191 times)

Offline Quiggs

• Ad Free Member
Re: Quigg's Great Orme Gunsite Memoirs
« Reply #45 on: March 30, 2011, 11:09:39 pm »
It's the house on the Marine Drive, just above the entrance to Llys Helig Drive, I don't know her name, she served light refreshments from her back door, with one or two small tables in the garden, if my memory serves me.
Dictum Meum Pactum

Offline tonyf

« Reply #46 on: March 31, 2011, 08:19:47 am »
Yes, and she also sold cigarettes to those who smoked and if I remember correctly even on a Sunday when every other shop in town was closed. As a side, Quiggs, I have replied 3 times to your e-mails via the  forum with attachments. I'm obviously doing something wrong, so if you click on my profile you'll find my e-mail address, e-mail me direct and I'll send said plan of the gun site with families to you. The two Williams' families......it's my eyesight, not what it was!     

Offline tonyf

« Reply #47 on: March 31, 2011, 08:29:20 am »
Tonyf instalment 3
I also remember wandering off one day and coming across a genuine Romany Gypsy horse drawn caravan. The gypsy lady inside invited me in for a drink of pop of some sort (don’t know where her family was at the time) and when I got home and told my Mother she went banzai saying I’d be taken away and sold! Thinking about it now there were quite often gypsies selling clothes pegs around the gun site. 
Life was good, during one summer we moved to the Shropshire hotel on the seafront opposite the pier as livers in for a few weeks, my Mother as a waitress and Dad as a cook during his 2 weeks holiday from the Hotpoint factory where he worked as a paint sprayer, all by hand, nothing automatic in those days. The food for breakfast was lovely, bacon and eggs which was a rare teat for me but, to have it every morning I'll never forget, better than porridge! It was okay there as I could wander over to the beach all day and make sand castles to my hearts content and try and dam the incoming tide. A photograph I have shows me and my Mother on Shropshire’s steps with my favourite ‘Dan Dare’ belt.What with that and the open fresh air of the Gun Site  I was brown as a berry at the end of the summer. Though I enjoyed it, I also missed the ‘Nook’ and nagged my Father to take me home for an afternoon which he did once. It was a good 8 mile walk there and back so it was understandable why he didn’t fancy it. When we got there I just hared about the field like some demented greyhound. On the way home my Dad had a rare moment of generosity and bought me one of the first ‘Batman’ annual's for 2/6 from the Post Office in Gloddaeth Avenue which was quite a lot of money in those days  (I wouldn’t call him tight, just careful, well I suppose you had to be in those days). I was over the moon and read it to death. Wish I still had it now, worth a bit!

Offline Quiggs

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #48 on: March 31, 2011, 09:27:39 am »
That has just triggered another memory from my time in Menai Bridge. I'd gone with some other lads across a Green, where a couple of Romany caravans and horses were stationed. We gave them a wide berth in case they took us away. We'd gone to a tree where there was a Rope swing, when it was my turn to have a go I slipped and split the back of my head on a rock. As I was running, crying with blood pouring down my neck, one of the Gypsy women saw my distress and grabbed hold of me, I was terrified, however she calmed me down, bathed my head and took me into the Caravan to dress my wound. All I can recall about the interior of the van, was how spotless and colourful it was. A curtained bed at the rear, shiny glass ornaments and mirrors, a big polished brass oil lamp hanging in the centre, coloured glass in the windows, casting light onto the glass ornaments. With lace covers on the chairs and small table.  Quite magical.  I also lost my fear of Gipsies
Dictum Meum Pactum

Offline Quiggs

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #49 on: March 31, 2011, 10:37:13 am »
One side effect of these memoirs, is loss of sleep. The human brain is a remarkable organ, during my sleep, my sub-conscious retrieval system must be scouring the deep reccesses of my memory banks, because I sometimes wake up,with the memory of some incident and I then have to piece together the details Then I have difficulty going back to sleep.  It's your fault Fester, You pushed me down this path !   WWW
Dictum Meum Pactum

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #50 on: March 31, 2011, 11:37:46 am »
I have something for your insomnia Sir!

Sorry to be causing you lack of sleep, but I bet you are glad you kicked this off.... and now Tony F coming in to elaborate further... its all great stuff!
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Quiggs

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #51 on: April 01, 2011, 12:28:09 am »

Three or four of us were playing together, at the far end of the site and noticed that the Gulls were nesting on the cliffs, so some one suggested that we should go and get some Seagulls eggs.  We proceeded down to the shore and made our along towards the cliffs. Part of the way was blocked by some very large rocks, that had come away from the cliffs in the distant past,  We had to climb up from the shore and make our way along higher up.  We eventually came to an area that moved inwards in a ’U’ shape, at the bottom of a valley that came down from the Marine Drive above,(  Looking at the map of the Orme, it is the area just past Squatters Rocks.)  I’d been here several times before, but  the water ran down it making it very slippery and this was an area that made me scared.

Successfully negotiating the ’  Danger Zone, ’ we got to the nesting area and collected several eggs.   Making our way back, I had nothing to carry my eggs in, so I tucked my pullover into my trouser top and tightened my belt. And placing the eggs in the front of my pullover, we crossed the ’Danger Zone ’ and  along the shoreline ’til we had to go back up to the site.
   It was a scramble up a grassy slope, almost to the top I slipped forward,’ Crunch ’ OH, NO.!  With egg yolk oozing out of my pullover, I made my way to the top and took it off, getting some of the contents all over my hands, face and hair, what a sticky sight.!     Wiping off what I could on the grass, I made my way home.
   Mother decided I warranted a bath, so down came the tin bath off the kitchen wall, and after several kettles of hot water, off the fire grate, I was bathed.  It was unusual for me to have my bath first, as my sister usually had that privilege. Seagulls eggs have a strong flavour when boiled or fried, more palatable scrambled, but I preferred them when mother made an egg custard.

One of my friends lived on the top Radar site and often came down to play. One day on his way down, he was confronted by a group of  Nanny Goats with their young Kids, he deviated off the path to avoid them, but one of the Nannies took exception to his presence and Charged.  Wallop! Straight into a gorse bush.    He arrived in a state of distress, his arms and legs covered in tiny red spots, where the gorse spines had pierced his skin, just deep enough to draw blood. It wasn’t often that the Goats attacked, but you had to be wary when they had Kids.
   A group of us decided to camp out one summer weekend and pitched a tent, in the field, at the bottom of the slope into the site, behind the home of the Smiths. We spent the first night messing about and giggling, so in the morning we were knackered.    The next night, we spent some time after dark, collecting Gloworms off the grasses between the gorse bushes and putting them in a jar to light the tent, but they do not glow for very long.    We took them back in the morning.    They are not a worm but a beetle, the females are flightless and to attract a mate, the end of the abdomen glows with a greenish / yellowish light.   The males are attracted by the light and fly in.   ( I’ve been up there several times after dark, June / July time, but have not found them again )     Being so tired, we went to sleep and  slept right through.      In the morning someone suggested that we went to Peter Smiths house, at the other end of the site, as they kept a few chickens, it was not unknown for these chickens to lay eggs in the bushes by their house.        We’d helped to find them with Peter on previous occasions.
   We set off full of hope, searching around, one of the lads found a large clutch of eggs just under the edge of a gorse bush.  We gathered a few and headed back to the tent,    I diverted home to get a frying pan, whilst the others got a fire going. Retuning to camp, we built up the fire with bracken and twigs out of the hedge, placed the frying pan onto the fire, we cracked a couple of eggs into the pan,   a few seconds elapsed until the smell hit us.    The eggs must have been in the gorse bush for weeks, and boy were they addled.
    The remainder of the eggs were swiftly despatched over the hedge onto the shore below. We departed to our respective homes for breakfast, me taking the frying pan back                              
    Mother was non too pleased, she made a tentative attempt to clean it, but the smell was to much and it was consigned to the bin.      
   The Family who lived in the first Cottage, on the left of the site had no electric when they moved in, cooking was done on the fire, or a small paraffin stove.
   On the opposite side of the road there was a flat roofed shelter, the front facing seawards.      Access was by a door at the back of the building, inside was a large single room, the seaward facing wall had several square openings, which gave an uninterrupted view of the sea. These openings could be closed by some heavy metal shutters on the outside.   I think that they were used as observation posts during firing and they had an electrical supply.   The Sutcliffs lived in a similar one, just past the large hump, in the middle of the site, on the right hand side.    (  I digress. )
   Back to the family in the cottage, over a period of time, he chiselled a groove across the road to the shelter, ( it can still be seen today.)   I think he put the cable through a metal conduit pipe, to supply his home, life became a little easier for them.
   Some time later,  I was walking down the hill, when I saw a sheep lying in a puddle on the road, where this electric supply ran. When I got closer I realised that it was Dead.  I went home and told dad, we returned and dad went to turn off the supply in the shelter and the sheep was removed, it had obviously been electrocuted. A bit of a row ensued, and the supply was dug out and re-laid.   If I had touched the beast I would not have been here to tell the tale.

I’d had an electric shock some time previously, I had gone down from my house to see Leslie Drabble, who lived on the left hand side of the road, just below.    The entrance that they used was on the seaward side of the building, through the door was a dark corridor, I knocked on the door and entered, Leslie called me in, as I proceeded  I flicked the light switch, the next thing I was on the floor.  The switches were all metal and the conduit ran down the outside of the wall,  They would be illegal these days,                   

Talk of the dead sheep has just brought to mind another incident.  At the Eastern end of the large hump, was an Emergency Water Supply concrete tank.    Passing by one day I heard a sheep bleating, on further investigation I discovered a sheep had fallen into the tank and was unable to get out.  It had probably fallen in whilst trying to get a drink, as it was a hot summer that year and the grass on the Orme was dry and brown.                      I attempted to try and grasp it, but each time I reached down, it swam away out of reach.
   On reflection it was probably just as well, because as good as my intentions were the damn thing probably weighed more than I did and would and more than likely have dragged me in, we would have drowned together, as there was no one else around.  I went to fetch my father, but by the time we got back it was too late. It was out of reach so there it remained, stinking to high heaven.
   Going back through these events, it is beginning to make me think that I’ve led a charmed life!!!
Dictum Meum Pactum

Offline tonyf

« Reply #52 on: April 01, 2011, 08:26:32 am »
My next instalment is going to be my last as I feel that the time is right for me to call it a day. To everyone that has been reading what I recall of our early days on the Gun Site I thank you all for your kind comments, it was fun to do. But, it is plain we remember some of the same things in different ways which could confuse the forum. The electrocuted sheep is a point in question as I recall when I wrote in my instalment 2 it was a wire joined with insulation tape by my Dad and Bob Gordon who lived in the OP on the right of the road above our house (the one that Quiggs describes as having metal covers on the openings). Also puzzling is that Quiggs recalls that the ‘Smith’ family lived where we lived but it was us, I even have a picture of the house we called the 'Nook'  being constructed in 1940 with the 6? pounders at the side. I will attempt to upload the photos this weekend (any hints on uploading photos?) It is a possibility that the Smith’s moved from their squat to ours after we were re-housed by the council in 1953 when I was 6. But, I thought that we all moved out around the same time once the new council estate was completed. If anyone knows exactly I’d be pleased to hear from them.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #53 on: April 01, 2011, 08:36:32 am »
If you have any problems uploading the photos, feel free to email them to admin@threetownsforum.co.uk and I will add them to this thread.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #54 on: April 01, 2011, 09:02:29 am »
To everyone that has been reading what I recall of our early days on the Gun Site I thank you all for your kind comments, it was fun to do. But, it is plain we remember some of the same things in different ways which could confuse the forum

Tony, I for one have thoroughly enjoyed the narratives you're both writing, and I don't think that the differences in recall - which there are bound to be - detract or confuse, frankly. This is the essence of social history;  the examination of differing sources to arrive at a composite image of society at a very different time.

What you've both contributed thus far is absolutely invaluable, and I really would urge both you and Quiggs to continue for as long as you can. Please.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #55 on: April 01, 2011, 09:04:16 am »
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline tonyf

« Reply #56 on: April 01, 2011, 09:29:09 am »
Thanks for that guys, I hadn't thought of it in that way, therefore I'll keep my 'Recal hat' on, it's a bit like Harry Potters 'Sorting Hat' only it takes ages to work. As my Dad was in the Army at the Gun Site I could perhaps include some of the stories he told me if anyone is interested? Thanks for uploading info, I'll give it a go.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #57 on: April 01, 2011, 09:33:26 am »
Both yours and Quiggs memoirs have been fascinating and they are what this Forum is all about, so please keep them coming.  $good$

Offline tonyf

« Reply #58 on: April 01, 2011, 10:29:02 am »
As I mentioned earlier my Father worked at the Hotpoint factory in Llandudno Junction. I remember one Christmas my parents decided to kill one of our chickens for Christmas dinner (they were expensive in those days). My Dad duly wrung its neck and tied its feet to the cold water tap (no hot water taps, no hot water even) and as it was hanging upside down proceeded to pluck it. My Dad was from London and this was his first time at this sort of thing but assured my Mother all would be well. Unfortunately, the chicken came around and started flapping and screeching still tied to the tap, what with that, my mother screaming and feathers going everywhere my Dad trying to grab its neck which he eventually managed and wrung it’s neck properly this time. I don’t recall having chicken again after that unless it came from a butcher. ! used to go to the Hotpoint kids Christmas party, a very special occasion jelly, ice cream and cakes when they actually meant something, not an everyday thing like today, a bit of a show, magicians etc and presents piled high, the same for each age group girl or boy waiting patiently for your name to be called out wandering with increasing trepidation if they’d forgotten me. For the first couple of years my father used to walk to the Victorian bus shelter on West shore to catch the bus to work and back home again in the evening. We all know how open it is to the prevailing westerly winds and rain across the mountains of Snowdonia and Conway estuary. Must have been rough in the winter but the walk in the summer would have been a real pleasure (if you weren’t going to work that is). Anyway, he eventually bought a 125cc BSA Bantam motorbike and as young as 4 I’d walk from the ‘Nook’ to the junction of Marine drive and Llys Helig Drive (a major hike for a 4 year old which you would not, in any circumstances, allow today) and wait at the big rock and the fresh water spring opposite, which were still there last time I visited, for a lift on the pillion. No crash hats in those days! How carefree we were, no telly, a battery driven radio, marching to the Dam Busters theme, Nelly the Elephant and how much is that doggy in the window bow wow on a Saturday morning? It’s a funny thing looking at that rock which my wife and I do every time I come back home and walk the Orme. After 60 years it is still fresh in my mind (not like some other of my memories).

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #59 on: April 01, 2011, 10:43:24 am »
Both yours and Quiggs memoirs have been fascinating and they are what this Forum is all about, so please keep them coming.  $good$

Tony F and Quiggs.  Can you imagine, more than half a century ago, as you were running around innocently living these events, that you would both be recounting them to an eager audience.. by bouncing them off several satellites, and beaming them into peoples computers or hand-held phones!

This just goes to show how the world has changed, and both your accounts are totally valid.... and anyone else out there who lived through these experiences.
Keep 'em coming guys.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -