Author Topic: Great Orme Gunsite Memoirs  (Read 93130 times)

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
Great Orme Gunsite Memoirs
« on: March 27, 2011, 10:30:37 pm »
Recently, I was lucky enough to meet Quiggs, and resulting from an earlier thread on this forum, it came to light that he and his family lived in the gunsite on the Great Orme !
He lived there for quite a few years, and I expressed an interest in knowing more about it.

Well, that caused many memories to come flooding back, and I urged him to write them down which he did.
I read them last week, and I found them amazing.
Sometimes hilarious, sometimes a little sad, but always fascinating.

Quiggs is a very modest chap, and felt that people might not be interested in his writings.
So I am introducing the subject for him, here... it is well worth hearing about.

If anyone replies showing interest, then Quiggs has agreed to give us one anecdote at a time.. rather than gave us a large amount to read all at once.

So over to the Forum members... anyone wanna hear it?
« Last Edit: April 02, 2011, 08:54:49 am by Ian »
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline suepp

• Ad Free Member
Re: QUIGG'S GREAT ORME GUNSITE MEMOIRS
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2011, 10:40:37 pm »
absolutely, this is what the forum's all about, as far as I'm concerned, social history and real life experiences

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2011, 10:42:26 pm »
Thats very encouraging...
Mr Quiggs, over to you to set the scene!

Fester...

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2011, 10:48:35 pm »
yes, as Suepp said  :)  *&(
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

brumbob

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2011, 10:59:46 pm »
Come on Quiggs, spill the beans  *&(

Offline Trojan

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2011, 06:14:59 am »
Quiggs' Digs!

*&(

Offline Quiggs

• Ad Free Member
Re: Quigg's Great Orme Gunsite Memoirs
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2011, 02:44:02 pm »
Well OK, at the behest of Fester, I'll start my story from my birth, which I hope will explain how I came to N.Wales and hence the Gunsite,  ( Coast Artillery School ) on the West Side of the Orme, Instalment 1 :-

An Evacuee’s Tale.            1.
I was born in Coventry, just prior to the start of the 2nd. World War. We survived the first series of Luftwaffe Bombing by spending the nights outside the City in an old caravan, returning next morning, so that my father could go back to work as an Aircraft Fitter. But the house next door was badly damaged and ours sustained some damage as well.( I recall as a youngster, that the Piano and Sideboard had hundreds of small marks all over the front, when I asked my parents about them, they told me they were caused by the bomb blast, shattering the windows and embedding the shards into the furniture. )
   My first memory was of being taken along what I think, ( due to the crunching sound,)  was a gravel pathway There was a large Moon shining and an Owl hooting in the trees. Next I was on what could be described as a Fire Escape or balcony in my mothers arms to listen to the Owl    When I described this scene to my mother and asked how old I was, she thought for a while, then said that it must have been when we evacuated from Coventry to Anglesea and stayed for a while in a Hostel and that I was 18 months old.
    My father was relocated to work in Saunders Roe, near Beaumaris, to work on Catalinas and Sunderland flying boats. We next went to live in an old Corrugated Iron Cottage on the long straight Rd. into Newborough, next to a lane down to the Warren.
   There was a farm next to the lane and they looked after us, supplying eggs, butter,( which I sometimes helped to churn when I got older ) and milk. I remember one day, the farmer’s wife rushing across the lane to get me, and dragging me back across to the hen house, to watch a chick hatching out of the shell.
       My father started to grow some vegetables, one day I asked to go out and watch him digging in the garden, whilst he was using the spade I thought that I could help with a fork that was sticking upright in the ground. I managed to drag it out and then plunged it back down into the ground, straight through my right foot, I still have the scar, fortunately it went between  my toes without doing any damage. Strangely I’ve never been keen on gardening ever since.
   It was about this time that dad went hunting / poaching, with his .22 Rifle or 12 Bore shotgun, for rabbits, pigeons, ducks, pheasants etc. I some times accompanied him, with the strict understanding that I stayed behind him and kept quiet. We disturbed a rabbit one day and it made it’s escape by swimming across a large pond, where we were unable to follow. I never knew rabbits could swim, but I suppose when needs must
Dictum Meum Pactum

brumbob

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2011, 03:30:16 pm »
great start  D)

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2011, 03:53:32 pm »
Interesting read Quiggs.  Keep it coming  :D
Only hindsight has 20/20 vision
Angiegram - A romantic notion derived from the more mundane truth.

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline Quiggs

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2011, 07:54:39 pm »
Instalment 2

We later moved to a flat above a barbers shop in Hill St in Menai Bridge, near to a Cinema. Where we remained until V.E. day. Nearby some soldiers were billeted and my parents got to know a couple of squaddies, they often came to our flat to spend the evening, playing cards etc. There would be a knock on the door the lights were turned off and two shadowy  figures would enter. I thought that it was because of the blackout but now and again they would bring a present with them, a bag of sugar or some butter, maybe a tin of bully beef and best of all, a round tin of boiled sweets for me. They became family friends and used to visit us in Llandudno many years later after the war.    They were drafted away from Menai Bridge together with all the other soldiers. A Little while after they had gone I went rooting around in the grounds where they had been billeted and found a Hand Grenade in the undergrowth. I couldn’t pull the pin out so I put it in my pocket.

I then went to the corner shop to buy some sweets and put the Grenade on the counter, to get my money out of my pocket. Things are a bit hazy after that, I know there was a lot shouting and people running around, then a Policeman turned up and there were lots of questions. I never did get my sweets.       It may have been a practice grenade or real one, I never found out.
   It was about this time that V.E. day was declared, I recall being carried out of the flat at night to see the fireworks and celebrations, unfortunately I was not allowed to join in as I was suffering with chicken pox and was Persona non grata.
   We then moved to my Grandparents in Llandudno, where they had a Guest House, our black cat came with us but shortly later disappeared. The following week my father returned to Menai Bridge to collect the remainder of our possessions, there on the doorstep was our black cat. Amazing to think it found it’s way back to Menai Bridge.                       
Dictum Meum Pactum

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2011, 08:17:33 pm »
Quiggs I'm lovin this matey x
Only hindsight has 20/20 vision
Angiegram - A romantic notion derived from the more mundane truth.

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline Quiggs

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2011, 08:42:08 pm »
I'm glad you find it of interest, I was not really convinced by Fester.
Dictum Meum Pactum

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2011, 08:51:24 pm »
Quiggs.. get to the hand-grenade story.... it slays me. 
Fester...

Offline Quiggs

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2011, 08:54:27 pm »
Try going back to 7-54 posting. :D
Dictum Meum Pactum

Offline Blodyn

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2011, 10:06:27 pm »
This is fascinating, Quiggs, I'm looking forward to the next installment.  Thanks very much for starting to post your story.