Author Topic: Points to Ponder  (Read 218299 times)

Offline Ian

• Administrator
Re: Points to Ponder
« Reply #465 on: June 09, 2015, 07:36:48 am »
Bit of an indictment of our local health services but a lot of truth in it, sadly. Statistically, of course, you should always avoid going to hospital, since figures show that more people die in hospitals than anywhere else.

;)
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #466 on: June 10, 2015, 02:04:48 pm »
Bit of an indictment of our local health services but a lot of truth in it, sadly. Statistically, of course, you should always avoid going to hospital, since figures show that more people die in hospitals than anywhere else.

;)

It's not ONLY the local NHS Ian,  these tales are being recounted to me from all over the UK.

I think it's part of a National Policy to kill off people who are costing money!
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #467 on: June 10, 2015, 02:11:13 pm »

;)

It's not ONLY the local NHS Ian,  these tales are being recounted to me from all over the UK.

I think it's part of a National Policy to kill off people who are costing money!

Valar Morghulis

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #468 on: June 10, 2015, 04:23:27 pm »
 _))* _))* _))* _))* _))*
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #469 on: June 14, 2015, 09:46:54 am »
Faulty appliances cause 12,000 fires, Which? research finds

Malfunctioning household appliances caused almost 12,000 fires in Britain in just over three years, research by consumer group Which? has found.
Washing machines, tumble dryers and dishwashers were the most likely items to cause fires, the research suggested.
Which? is urging people to register appliances they buy with manufacturers so they can be alerted of any recall.
The government figures, obtained using the Freedom of Information Act, cover January 2011 to March 2014.
Fires included in the figures were those caused by appliances that were "faulty, incorrectly installed or improperly maintained".
Which? highlighted research by Electrical Safety First, which found that only a third of people register the electrical appliances they buy - meaning they may not be notified if faulty items are recalled by manufacturers.
"If an appliance is found to be dangerous, manufacturers issue a safety notice to alert owners, but knowing who owns their products can prove problematic," Which? said.
Executive director Richard Lloyd said it was "shocking" that everyday appliances could "pose such a danger".
Mr Lloyd said owners should be "reassured they can register their appliance without inadvertently signing up for marketing".
The government is reviewing the system for recalling appliances that may be dangerous.
REF.BBC

Offline SteveH

« Reply #470 on: June 15, 2015, 07:04:03 pm »
Smart meter rollout 'needs private sector input'

The UK-wide rollout of smart meters needs to be run by someone outside of government, the company set up to promote the project has said.
By 2020 every home should have a digital meter, which communicates directly with energy suppliers and can allow more efficient energy usage.
Smart Energy GB said government was "not good" at such projects and warned it it could cost more than the budgeted £11bn without private sector input.
The government has rejected the call.
Olympic delivery
The last Labour government announced plans in 2009 for every home in Britain to be installed with smart meters, which the government and energy firms believe could lead to savings of an estimated £17bn.
But Smart Energy GB fears that with 1.6 million of the proposed 26 million smart meters currently installed, the timetable could slip and end up costing consumers more than the budgeted £11bn.
Baroness Margaret McDonagh, the chairman of Smart Energy GB, said that the installation of smart meters throughout the UK was a giant infrastructure project, and was similar in scope to the building of the HS2 rail line and the Olympic venues.
"As we know from experience, governments are not good at big infrastructure projects because it's not their business," she said.
"To do these things well, you need to be doing them all the time. When a body can focus on these things with a date in mind - like the Olympic delivery - they can achieve it on time and on budget."
She is calling for the government to appoint a chief executive from the private sector to run the project.
But the Department for Energy and Climate Change (DECC) has rejected the idea.
"Last year, an independent review on the smart meters programme backed the current delivery model, which is going to deliver the benefits of smart meters at the lowest possible cost to billpayers," said a spokesperson for the DECC.
It is hoped that smart meters will encourage consumers to be more selective on how they use energy by choosing, for example, to run the washing machine at a time when electricity charges are lower.
In the near future this will be even easier as the "internet of things" takes hold. This means new devices will come onto the market which will communicate with the smart meter and switch themselves on and off at the most energy efficient times.
But apart from consumers saving money, the biggest winners from the nationwide installation of smart meters will be energy companies themselves.
That is because the current analogue systems prevent the efficient distribution of energy to our homes. More electricity is allocated for each home on the off-chance that it will be needed. With smart meters, the power will only come from the grid, the moment it is actually required.
But smart meters are expensive and time consuming to install in every single household in Britain. About 6% of the total number of homes have a smart meter already.
To achieve the full 100% and meet the Conservative party election promise, a massive ramp up in the installation process will have to start immediately.REFBBC

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #471 on: June 18, 2015, 07:55:58 am »
This sets an interesting precedent....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-north-west-wales-33169572
Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may have been given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #472 on: June 18, 2015, 12:21:59 pm »
I get them regularly Bosun, and despite not being able to speak Welsh myself, I too will demand cancellation.

Why not?   I'm sure the complainant could speak English, and what if the attendant had not even been on hand to speak to the offender?   After all, the tickets are all printed in Welsh!

Fester...

Offline snowcap

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #473 on: June 18, 2015, 10:48:48 pm »
 got one yesterday in the car park at the back of weatherspoons, I was under the impression that it was free after 6pm, not so according to the charming young lady whom I spoke to ( Before I paid my £25 fine) it is a reduced fee after 6pm and has been for over 30 years, I thought OK so the last 7 or 8 times I have parked there after 6pm without showing a ticket Ive got away with it. Only goes to show READ the signs before you walk away . Silly me

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #474 on: June 19, 2015, 08:37:43 am »
I get them regularly Bosun, and despite not being able to speak Welsh myself, I too will demand cancellation.

Why not?   I'm sure the complainant could speak English, and what if the attendant had not even been on hand to speak to the offender?   After all, the tickets are all printed in Welsh!
Just master the phrase ' ti'n siarad cymraeg?' if an Attendant ever speaks to you...  :laugh:

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #475 on: June 19, 2015, 09:09:33 am »

:o I can't believe we agree on something!!

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #476 on: June 19, 2015, 11:22:58 am »

:o I can't believe we agree on something!!

Well.... I've just CHANGED MY MIND!!   :laugh: :laugh:
Fester...

Offline SteveH

« Reply #477 on: June 19, 2015, 04:56:42 pm »
Litter wardens.....Just seen a confrontation in Madoc St. police called as "accused" refused to give name and address, plenty of onlookers, police confirmed they had to comply...... :( :( :(

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #478 on: June 19, 2015, 11:11:08 pm »
Interesting....
I would not comply,and I would simply keep walking away, use up their time, frustrate them, ignore them.... etc.
Especially on a busy day, when they need a quick turnround, and the police will be occupied with other matters.

Fester...

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #479 on: June 24, 2015, 08:35:13 am »
This makes for a fascinating read on several fronts:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/resources/idt-dd0e6fd5-12fc-4a4a-a0eb-4ef064900f92

Not only is it the reason China will shortly be the world economic leader, but the web design of the report is truly excellent.