Author Topic: Points to Ponder  (Read 218050 times)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: Points to Ponder
« Reply #300 on: July 16, 2014, 01:50:01 pm »
Erias park though is brilliant, if only Llandudno had something anywhere near as good (Craig y don park btw isn't)
Maybe Bodafon Fields could be considered for a grand park in the Victorian tradition, but with a selection of childrens rides, model railway etc? The open space of the present area could be preserved and enhanced for everyone to enjoy.

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #301 on: July 16, 2014, 02:34:10 pm »
That's a great idea, it's what we need. Somewhere with a lawn space and a lake open to the public. Craig y Don and West Shore have got it half right between them, except the grass on West Shore is like a jungle apart from the nice bit that's used as a putting green nobody ever plays on - same with the craig y don one but there it's used for a croquet club.
The donkey derby used to do well there didn't it? I know the silly elf and safety put a stop to it but what about all the rest that made that a great day, seems like a big space going to waste for me. Weren't they going to put a driving range in there? That would be an awful idea  &shake&

Offline Dave

« Reply #302 on: July 16, 2014, 02:57:13 pm »
For my two penneth for what it's worth, I don't think there is ever going to be much future in Llandudno or anywhere else in the UK to be a hugely popular mass tourist long stay holiday destination for families, no matter what is on offer. Quite simply we can't compete with the guaranteed sunshine on offer in the Med. Providing wet weather entertainment isn't the answer because that's not what families want on their holidays because it means more expense.We are more likely to attract short stay visitors so we should concentrate on bringing events to the town such as the Victorian weekend, car rallies, pop concerts, etc.
Older folk, which Llandudno successfully attracts, come here because it doesn't involve long arduous journeys involving airports etc. If we are successful with that area of tourism, aim to get a larger share of that market and aim to get there by improving facilities aimed at them. It's a market that will always exist and one where often there is plenty of money to spend too, however, as a new generation reaches that age profile their expectations will change too. Wartime memories with Vera Lynn and Sunday hymns on the prom will not have much relevance in the future. Free Wifi access on the prom might have more appeal to everyone as would a varied choice of theatre productions, maybe even televised productions from the West End.
Keep Llandudno colourful with lots of flowers, make it a safe place with no drunkenness and yobbish behaviour on the streets, interesting shops, good quality restaurants,open air cafes and bars to sit and watch the world go by and you are satisfying a very large percentage of the visitors. Bodafon Fields as a true park with the ability to still host events would be an excellent idea. Unless an Alton Towers equivalent is built, any theme park isn't going to work and lets face it, a)would we really want that in town and b) how many people that visit Alton Towers and the like stay more than a day there.
The local bus tours around the Orme and to Conwy seem to do well, how about linking some services to local attractions too making it easy to understand which bus goes where. Places like the Mountain Zoo, Bodnant gardens, Llandudno tram, Conwy RSPB, the new Wave Centre in Dollgarog, even the Colwyn Bay skip could all be linked in a circular bus route aimed at tourists, particularly those who arrive without transport.
Most importantly of all though is to successfully publicise what's on. Living locally but buying the local paper ( or getting a free Pioneer delivered) I might be missing out, but I am continually aware of missed opportunities because I didn't find out about them until after the event. Local hotels and B&B's should all carry a monthly a news sheet where everything is brought together on a day by day basis, offering the tourist easy access to local information of what's on, it would also help local business target specific groups who might be attracted to such events.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #303 on: July 16, 2014, 03:15:54 pm »
Maybe Bodafon Fields could be considered for a grand park in the Victorian tradition, but with a selection of childrens rides, model railway etc?

That's a great idea, it's what we need. Somewhere with a lawn space and a lake open to the public.

And that's exactly what was agreed in detail between the Llandudno Heritage Trust and Mostyn estates in 1993, immediately prior to the then Mostyn's Director leaving. The plans were drawn up in detail and featured everything suggested and more. The new management, however, declined to take it forward, and it never materialised. But, to be honest, I think Dave hits the nail on the head. I agree with everything he says.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #304 on: July 16, 2014, 04:12:14 pm »
I too agree with Dave.

The idea of a news sheet--- We have done this for years--tonight I have two elderly ladies arriving, by coach, from Yorkshire. Once they have had their welcome cup of tea and home made cake, they are given bus timetables and a list which we compile for them of all the shows on in the town. They go out every night to one show or another and set off, after buying a weekly bus ticket, every day. Neither of them will see 80 again, but I admire their tenacity.

Conwy CBC do produce a What's on leaflet-- but it is Lllandudno's best kept secret !!
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #305 on: July 16, 2014, 04:38:31 pm »
There is a crappy electronic box outside the new station that tells you everything that's on. It's rubbish though as there are obviously a lot of shows on 2 or 3 times a week, the machine tells you everytime they are on rather than just once with all the dates, so if you're scrolling through for a while all you see is the same shows coming up again and again, makes it look even more like there is nothing much on

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #306 on: July 16, 2014, 07:34:47 pm »
  My goodness, what a lot of reading to catch up on this thread. I understand most of it. But one of Ians comments puzzles me. About one of the best attractions being run by one of the oldest members. I know Fester has lost his hair but he is not that old Mike

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #307 on: July 16, 2014, 07:43:00 pm »
 _))* _))* _))*

As always, typically modest and self effacing :-)))
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #308 on: July 17, 2014, 08:50:27 am »
Maybe Bodafon Fields could be considered for a grand park in the Victorian tradition, but with a selection of childrens rides, model railway etc?

That's a great idea, it's what we need. Somewhere with a lawn space and a lake open to the public.

And that's exactly what was agreed in detail between the Llandudno Heritage Trust and Mostyn estates in 1993, immediately prior to the then Mostyn's Director leaving. The plans were drawn up in detail and featured everything suggested and more. The new management, however, declined to take it forward, and it never materialised. But, to be honest, I think Dave hits the nail on the head. I agree with everything he says.
I might have said this before, but do you still have any plans for the proposed layout etc?

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #309 on: July 17, 2014, 09:44:42 am »
I think I have, actually. It was very nice; little winding paths, a central bandstand, a stream, couple of small ponds and a miniature tram / train.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #310 on: July 17, 2014, 11:15:05 am »
I think I have, actually. It was very nice; little winding paths, a central bandstand, a stream, couple of small ponds and a miniature tram / train.
Would it be possible for you to post a plan/map on the forum? I'd love to see it.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #311 on: July 17, 2014, 02:27:18 pm »
I shall do some rooting around.

Offline 1_rob_1

« Reply #312 on: July 17, 2014, 09:59:02 pm »
As you can all see, I have butted out of this discussion. I gave my opinion as i see it, maybe not exactly politically correct (to the word), but hopefully not offensive to anyone apart from paranoid people.
 I will do as I have done in the past, & watch the forum but not sign in. I will not make any future postings as I joined this forum, not to argue, but to be social/ get on/ diacuss local matters, & try to help its members with any tech probs that are posted. - NOT to be picked up on EVERY point made/or not.
I dont see why I have to justify everything I post. Everyone has views!!!!
I can now see why Yorkie was P****d off & was about to leave the forum last year-ish.
Outsiders views seem not to be welcomed on this forum.
Any members I have helped in the past are welcome to email me if they have any pc probs, issues & I will gladly help.
Ian is too confrontational to run this forum. (look at the statistics - they are declining).
Out of here.
Rob

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #313 on: July 17, 2014, 11:35:39 pm »
Oh dear Ian,  you appear to have done it again!
You really do need to have a little think about how you come across, and the impact you have on those thinking about dipping their toe in to this (supposedly) open Forum.

1-Rob-1,  I really hope you reconsider, because I too like to say a few things on here without being picked up on the infinite detail of HOW I say it.   (whilst trying to be relatively mindful of people's sensitivities)

It is pretty soul-destroying having one's posts dissected, picked apart and critiqued....  but rather than walk away, all I do now is never, EVER read Ian's longer posts.    Partly because I never fully understand them, and partly because they are simply an attempt to make him look big, and me look small.    So why give him the satisfaction?
If that is not the attention, than that is certainly what it FEELS like.
After the first few lines,  my attention span wanes, and my field of vision goes fuzzy round the edges....

Ian makes some good and valid observations in his own right, and is entitled to his opinion.... he is extremely erudite, perhaps wasted on the likes of me.   (Pearls before swine, I think is the anecdote) But it would be so much better if I thought that my opinions had some merit too.

Rob, many thanks for your advice on eradicating my PC virus, and hope to hear from you soon.

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #314 on: July 18, 2014, 12:05:33 am »

If that is not the attention, than that is certainly what it FEELS like.

Sorry... that was meant to say intention.    An example of how stupid I am I suppose!

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -