Author Topic: Points to Ponder  (Read 214086 times)

Offline Ian

• Administrator
Re: Points to Ponder
« Reply #885 on: October 18, 2021, 10:10:35 am »
The brightest and best of the young folk move to England, simply because that's where they can get the highly paid jobs. I also wonder whether a lot have become disenchanted by the Brexshit vote.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #886 on: October 22, 2021, 01:47:15 pm »
Interesting article, especially the comment "producers becoming more efficient than their UK counterparts." which covers a lot more than just the lamb/farming industry, a lot of British businesses need to look at themselves closely, between Brexit and covid, there is no standing on your past successes.

Wales' farmers have been left outraged by a new UK trade deal with New Zealand that risks bringing more cheap lamb into the UK.

UK imports of New Zealand lamb are expected to rise 40% in the wake of the deal, leaving Welsh producers at risk of being undercut .

"Welsh Lamb was 34% more expensive than New Zealand lamb.”

"New Zealand doesn’t have farm subsidies and, on Facebook, some users suggested this had led to lamb producers becoming more efficient than their UK counterparts.

Others pointed to the way subsidies have created a European food market with artificially low prices that does not reflect the true costs of food production"

cont  https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/welsh-pub-ditches-expensive-welsh-21935424

Offline SteveH

« Reply #887 on: October 23, 2021, 10:26:13 am »
Dylan's lost sales as Covid and Brexit left restaurants short staffed - so this is what bosses are doing
The restaurant chain was under-staffed over the busy summer because of a lack of workers so has set up a new academy

bosses will create an apprenticeship training programme for young people who are seeking a career in hospitality, with a guaranteed job at the end.

Working with schools across the regions, Dylan’s aims to demonstrate to parents and headteachers that promoting careers in hospitality is a responsible and worthwhile objective. Dylan’s is also working with local partners in education, to offer a complete package of support throughout the training period.

cont  https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/dylans-lost-sales-covid-brexit-21945525#comments-wrapper

I am a cynical person, and have a suspicious mind, so I am leaning more towards the comments below this article.............

3 comments...
Rather quiet on where the money's coming from.... Dylan's is a serial grant harvester rather like Mr Taylor and his underground elasticated experiences.
Sadly in Wales, you don't need to be any good at business, you just need to fill in a good application.

Good for Dylan's, but I doubt that funding for these apprenticeships will come from the business, I would suggest that Coleg Menai will be funding most of the training at their site in Llangeni, Dylan's get the publicity and the credit whilst Coleg Menai can justify their existence.

Were there grants to do this ? i wonder, after all North Wales has three outstanding Catering colleges already, with no disrespect to Dylans, any prospective student needs to be made aware of what hospitality work really entails, long hours, low pay, non existent union representation, close contact with potential covid spreaders, the dependence on a good summer, the winter layoffs, the impact on family when working mostly evenings and weekends whilst your non hospitality friends can have a normal social life.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #888 on: November 01, 2021, 10:27:48 am »
THE MP for Aberconwy, Robin Millar, has urged the Welsh Government to match UK Government support to businesses in England that would have a hugely significant impact for many businesses across the region.

While unveiling his Budget in Parliament on Wednesday, the chancellor, Rishi Sunak MP, announced a 50 per cent discount on business rates for businesses in the hospitality, leisure and retail sectors.

But as the setting of business rates is devolved to the Welsh Government, businesses operating in those sectors in Wales will not be entitled to the discount.

Mr Millar has called on the Welsh Government to set a level playing field between businesses in Wales and England, and to ensure businesses in Wales are not disadvantaged by matching this discount once the current Welsh Government business rate support scheme comes to an end in April 2022.

cont https://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/19682262.mp-calls-welsh-government-match-uk-government-business-support/?ref=rss&IYA-mail=a05105fc-304d-4c50-9807-edab51f779a4

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #889 on: November 04, 2021, 12:12:15 pm »
Mrs H told me about this road sign in Craigside Llandudno but I had never noticed it before, but yesterday I saw it for the first time.
When you are going along Colwyn Road in the direction of Penrhyn Bay and you pass the Bodafon Fields the sign is on the right just after Ffynnon Sadwrn Lane.
It's a warning sign to beware of Deer on the road!     Now I've been travelling past there for over 70 years and never heard of any Deer being there let alone seeing one.
Does anyone know what that is all about as I have no idea whatsoever?        I could understand it if they had a warning sign for Goats but not for Deer

Offline SteveH

« Reply #890 on: November 04, 2021, 12:41:48 pm »
I think it could be a new general warning re wildlife, including the goats, that moved into that area.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #891 on: November 04, 2021, 02:37:27 pm »
Mrs H told me about this road sign in Craigside Llandudno but I had never noticed it before, but yesterday I saw it for the first time.
When you are going along Colwyn Road in the direction of Penrhyn Bay and you pass the Bodafon Fields the sign is on the right just after Ffynnon Sadwrn Lane.
It's a warning sign to beware of Deer on the road!     Now I've been travelling past there for over 70 years and never heard of any Deer being there let alone seeing one.
Does anyone know what that is all about as I have no idea whatsoever?        I could understand it if they had a warning sign for Goats but not for Deer

Perhaps CCBC can't tell the deer from the goats, never mind the sheep !!!     $bounce$
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #892 on: November 04, 2021, 02:52:11 pm »
I think it could be a new general warning re wildlife, including the goats, that moved into that area.

Well it's time the Goats moved back to the Abbey Road area and CCBC  can relocate the signpost there        ;D

Offline DVT

« Reply #893 on: November 04, 2021, 03:45:01 pm »
Oh dear, no kidding - says he sheepishly !

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #894 on: November 04, 2021, 04:05:57 pm »

Well it's time the Goats moved back to the Abbey Road area and CCBC  can relocate the signpost there        ;D

Really Hugo ! I'd heard that they were being re-located into the Old Colwyn Area $hands$
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #895 on: November 08, 2021, 02:56:21 pm »

Really Hugo ! I'd heard that they were being re-located into the Old Colwyn Area $hands$

I don't need any Goats up here as I've already got enough problems.    I've had to put up a 1 metre high wire fence that Teddy the Terminator can't jump over and used plastic garden pegs to stop him going underneath the fence.       Now he's learnt how to pull up those pegs and crawl under the wire fence.      This morning I found many of the branches on the small acer broken and all over the garden and as for the few Common Spotted Orchids that I've left in the lawn, well they went months ago              >?>??

Offline SteveH

« Reply #896 on: November 08, 2021, 03:26:28 pm »
There is a rumour he has been seen at the Tool Hire shop    :o  .......................

Offline SteveH

« Reply #897 on: November 17, 2021, 10:07:00 am »
This subject is a pet hate of mine, the cost and waste of police time through drink is disgusting, I believe the sentences have to stronger and enforced, I watched a police programme last night, there were car break ins, assaults, criminal damage to shop windows and domestic violence, all through drink, and the strongest reprimand was a caution, unbelievable, this story appears to be aimed at those being released from prison, but, I still think the weekend drinker who causes problems needs stiffer penalties.

Criminals committing alcohol-fuelled crime face drinking ban as Wales launches 'sobriety tags'
The device was designed in a bid to reduce booze-related crime, which costs £21 billion a year and will be rolled out here before England

Criminals in Wales could be banned from drinking to cut alcohol-fuelled crime.

Anyone who commits alcohol-fuelled crimes can be banned from drinking and ordered to wear a "sobriety tag" by judges.
The criminals can for forced to wear the tag for up to a year.

Offenders with an alcohol ban on community sentences have stayed sober on 97 per cent of the days they were tagged.

Offenders released from prison face being banned from drinking from today under world-first plans to curb alcohol-fuelled crime.

For the first time, serious and prolific offenders will be tagged with devices to monitor alcohol levels in their sweat.

cont https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/sobriety-tags-launched-wales-drunks-22185467#comments-wrapper

Offline Hugo

« Reply #898 on: November 18, 2021, 12:57:03 pm »
Austria orders lockdown on unvaccinated people

The country doesn't have a good record on vaccination anyway but if the vaccination has been offered to everyone then perhaps what they are going to do is fair.
Personally in the UK I think that this system may be unenforceable and the restriction of unvaccinated people to nightclubs, sporting venues etc may be much easier to control.       After all the minority of defiant anti vaccine people can't have it both ways in the middle of this pandemic      I'm sure that if those same anti vaccination people contacted Covid then they would expect the NHS to treat them.   They have no thought whatsoever for the staff of the NHS who have been under sustained pressure for about two years
Having the vaccination and wearing a face mask can benefit the whole of the UK 

https://www.scmp.com/news/world/europe/article/3156033/austria-orders-lockdown-unvaccinated-covid-19-resurgence-grips

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #899 on: November 18, 2021, 08:22:01 pm »
It has to be said however, that 11% of NHS staff have thus far chosen not to be vaccinated either.
They must have their reasons, and who is to say that they are not right?
Those women who were pushed into having Thalidomide injections in the 1960’s wouldn’t have done so had they known.
I’m vaccinated myself, by choice, eventually..... but I’m very much against compulsory vaccinations of anything, ever.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -