Author Topic: Points to Ponder  (Read 214379 times)

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
Re: Points to Ponder
« Reply #855 on: February 15, 2021, 02:10:26 pm »
Apparently, the price of cruises for 2021 and 2022 are also ridiculously high.

I would not book one anyway until I know the ship will definitely be sailing and we are both fully insured.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #856 on: March 19, 2021, 04:28:45 pm »
PASS THE BUCK WEEK!

A few weeks ago a car was left on a pavement outside a house I know that in unoccupied.    It has not moved in all the time that it has been there and when I went past it this week I saw the Registration plate and found that the tax and MOT had expired.    I thought that it was either stolen or abandoned so I made enquiries:-

OPTION 1  CONTACT THE CCBC AND REPORT IT AS ABANDONED
THE WEBSITE SAID  You should not report a vehicle as abandoned just because:  Untaxed, SORN or without MOT) -
It went on to add:-
You should report an untaxed vehicle which is on a public road to the DVLA on the DVLA website
You can check if a car has an MOT or has been declared off the road (SORN) on the GOV.UK website.
If a vehicle doesn’t have an MOT and is being used on a public road, you should report this to the Police by calling 101.

OPTION 2   CONTACT THE DVLC
This is not really an option because as a debt recovery agency the DVLA is not fit for purpose.      The road tax expired in October 2019 and the DVLA has done nothing about it

OPTION 3  PHONE THE POLICE ON 101
That is exactly what I did and after explaining the situation to the male operator I was told that the Police could do absolutely nothing about it unless the car was being driven.     I was then advised to contact the CCBC               &shake&

OPTION 4
 >?>??                >?>??                  >?>??

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #857 on: March 19, 2021, 07:53:58 pm »
Hugo that's a little bit like passing the buck, not one of them are bothered.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #858 on: March 20, 2021, 08:35:21 am »
The Police do a difficult job under sustained pressure so it's nice to try and help them in any way we can to make their job that bit easier. The response I had was very disappointing,

Is the car stolen, abandoned or involved in any illegal activity or breaking Covid Regulations?   Now we'll never know.

What we do know for certain is that the car is illegally parked, has no road tax, MOT or insurance

It would be a farce if there wasn't a serious side to this case.     Since the abolition of the paper road tax disc the UK Government is losing over £100 million ponds each and every year because of this type of incident.     It's money we need right now especially after this pandemic that we are in at the moment

Offline Hugo

« Reply #859 on: March 26, 2021, 12:10:57 pm »
Manchester United player Brandon Williams guilty of not giving driver's details   But at Mold Magistrates' Court solicitor Nick "Mr Loophole" Freeman successfully argued he should not get points on his licence.
Why would he employ a high profile lawyer to deal with his case unless there was another motive?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-56529599

Offline Hugo

« Reply #860 on: April 22, 2021, 01:42:25 pm »
This pandemic has highlighted the sleaze and cronyism that abounds in certain political parties and the gap between the richest and poorest people in the UK has widened as a result

A good example of this is with the proposed planning application for housing development on Bodafon Fields.         Lord Mostyn  by a cunning act in Parliament secured most of the common land in Llandudno for nothing.     Yet he is able to sell the same land to developers and does not have to pay Capital Gains Tax on the sale of it.    It's morally disgusting and will never change, certainly not by this present Government

Offline Hugo

« Reply #861 on: April 24, 2021, 02:32:10 pm »
'We're only human...people don't give us a chance' - Travellers in Prestatyn speak out
North Wales Live spoke to members of the travelling community who have set up camp on Bastion Road.      I suppose we are quick to judge but time will tell when the travellers leave the area

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/were-only-humanpeople-dont-give-20441073

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #862 on: April 24, 2021, 03:31:55 pm »
They are their own worst enemy....................................they receive the respect they give us

Offline Hugo

« Reply #863 on: April 28, 2021, 04:32:41 pm »
Unauthorised' camp set up on football pitch beside North Wales Police HQ
Around five caravans have arrived on the field beside the force's Colwyn Bay base

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/unauthorised-camp-set-up-football-20482096

Offline Hugo

« Reply #864 on: April 29, 2021, 10:20:44 pm »
Pupils told to learn from home after school says 'travellers' have camped on playing field
Caravans have been seen parked up on Rhyl High School grounds

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/pupils-told-learn-home-after-20497618

Offline SteveH

« Reply #865 on: April 30, 2021, 10:26:01 am »
ridiculous, especially after all the time they lost over the last year.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #866 on: May 03, 2021, 03:39:51 pm »

Offline SteveH

« Reply #867 on: May 13, 2021, 02:02:13 pm »
ASSAULTS on emergency workers in Wales are on the rise, new data has revealed.

More than 4,240 assaults were committed against emergency workers, including police, fire and ambulance crews, in the period April 2019 - November 2020, representing a monthly average increase from 202 in 2019 to 222 in 2020, or 10 per cent.

Assaults ranged from kicking, punching and head-butting, to spitting, slapping, biting and verbal abuse.

cont https://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/19300440.rise-assaults-emergencyworkers/

Offline SteveH

« Reply #868 on: June 06, 2021, 10:01:03 am »
It will be interesting to see if this will be successful, we can only hope.

The G7 group of advanced economies has reached a "historic" deal to make multinational companies pay more tax.

Finance ministers meeting in London agreed to battle tax avoidance by making companies pay more in the countries where they do business.

They also agreed in principle to a global minimum corporate tax rate of 15% to avoid countries undercutting each other.

Tech giants Amazon and Facebook are among those likely to be affected.

The deal announced on Saturday, between the US, the UK, France, Germany, Canada, Italy and Japan, plus the EU, could see billions of dollars flow to governments to pay off debts incurred during the Covid crisis.

cont  https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-57368247

Offline Hugo

« Reply #869 on: June 06, 2021, 11:57:03 am »
In principle it's a very good idea but don't expect it to happen quickly as there will be opposition to it from many quarters.     From Countries with low taxation rates to politicians with vested interests.     

Legalised fiddling has been going on for hundreds of years and it won't stop overnight.     From the likes of Mostyn Estates obtaining common land through Acts of Parliament to the Tory George Osborne who was chancellor of the Exchequer at the time and his family firm that allegedly avoided paying £2 million in tax  by using one of the many loopholes that exist in the system.        I would expect a lot of opposition from the Conservative Party to passing this legislation through.

A fairer tax system should have been introduced many years ago and because it hasn't been introduced the gap between the rich and poor has been growing ever wider.   The principle is good but only time will tell if it can be introduced world wide