Author Topic: Points to Ponder  (Read 214183 times)

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
Re: Points to Ponder
« Reply #825 on: April 27, 2020, 10:20:57 am »
Child poverty in North Wales - the awful truth
New Government figures reveal there were almost 26,000 children living below the breadline in the region last year.

There are five other neighbourhoods in North Wales where more than a third of children are estimated to be living in poverty.
Two are in areas of Colwyn Bay, one in Pensarn, one in Rhyl and one in Queensway, Wrexham.

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/in-your-area/child-poverty-north-wales-awful-18143680

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #826 on: June 13, 2020, 01:08:16 pm »
All lives matter

Offline SteveH

« Reply #827 on: June 15, 2020, 01:29:17 pm »
Is it just me ? £600.000 plus to park 109 cars..........   &shake&

Works on a new park and share facility to ease traffic congestion and tackle 'fly parking' on Anglesey is nearing completion

Ruthin-based Jones Bros Civil Engineering UK was appointed by Anglesey County Council to deliver the project, near Gaerwen, which is set to improve journey times and subsequently benefit the environment.

The scheme, awarded to Jones Bros for an original sum of £600,000, is funded through Welsh Government Local Transport Fund.

The facility comprises of 109 parking spaces adjacent to junction 7 of the eastbound carriageway of the A55 North Wales expressway near the £20m Menai Science Park.

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/a55-park-ride-tackle-fly-18406106

Offline Hugo

« Reply #828 on: July 06, 2020, 05:28:25 pm »
When I was a young boy and living in Cwm Place I could see a tower on the hill and we all called it Granny's Armchair because of the shape of the ruined building.      Years later I found out the purpose of the building and it made you realise the dangers people were living in in those days.     Slavery has been going on for thousands of years and while it is abhorrent to people now we can't change  our history but it does confirm that all lives matter

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/terrifying-story-behind-early-warning-18481944

Offline spotty dog

« Reply #829 on: July 06, 2020, 06:29:54 pm »
I couldn't agree with you more Hugo

Offline SteveH

« Reply #830 on: July 08, 2020, 10:34:57 am »
I don't know. At the moment all three governments subscribe to what is an outmoded economic theory. Modern Monetary Theory, a heterodox, macroeconomic theory that describes currency as a public monopoly is the new and current model.

In that theory, a modern democracy is only limited in its money creation and purchases by inflation, which only accelerates once the real resources (labour, capital and natural resources) of the economy are utilized at full employment. Since no modern democracy normally achieves full employment, it can be argued that inflation won't, in fact, increase.

This theory sounds wild, until you realise there's a lot of emerging evidence underpinning it. For example, since 2008 the bank of England has been printing billions, yet inflation is now at its lowest ever level.

The entire global economy has been drop-shocked by Covid, yet inflation still seems very low.

The USA national debt is in the trillions, yet their inflation is low. So it's quite possible the Welsh government could simply write off the debts by putting a line through them. It'll be interesting see how it plays out.

They do seem to be throwing money at everything these days, a lot of headlines like ......

Everyone in the UK could be given a £500 shopping voucher to help save the high street under new plans unveiled by Chancellor Rishi Sunak,  the £30billion scheme could save hundreds of thousands of jobs amid a looming recession.
cont  https://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/18568111.everyone-get-500-voucher-save-high-street/

Chancellor Rishi Sunak will announce a £2bn "kickstart scheme" later to create more jobs for young people.

The fund will subsidise six-month work placements for people on Universal Credit aged between 16 and 24, who are at risk of long-term unemployment.
cont  https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-53324201

Hundreds of thousands of homeowners will receive vouchers of up to £5,000 for energy-saving home improvements, with the poorest getting up to £10,000.

Chancellor Rishi Sunak is due to set out a £2bn grant scheme in England for projects such as insulation as part of a wider £3bn plan to cut emissions.
The Treasury said the grants could help to support more than 100,000 jobs.
cont https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-53313640

Offline SteveH

« Reply #831 on: July 18, 2020, 03:18:27 pm »
Looking at today´s report on fake virus health certificates, brought up another chilling counterfeit problem..........

Nearly a quarter of Pakistan International Airlines (PIA) pilots have been found not to hold valid licences.

An investigation following the Karachi air disaster in May, in which all passengers and crew lost their lives, revealed that 262 of 850 pilots had potentially fake licences or ones containing irregularities.

It was believed that many had not even taken the Pakistan regulator’s pilot qualification examination.

cont  https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/pakistan-international-airline-pilots-fake-licences-karachi-a9620211.html

Offline SteveH

« Reply #832 on: July 29, 2020, 11:51:05 am »
A couple of articles to ponder, ........While the USA is taking steps to reduce the dependency for foreign supplies, the UK is sending £71.000.000 aid to China 

Better known for making cameras, Kodak has moved into drug making and has just secured a $765m (£592m) loan from the US government.
The fallen giant of the photography industry will make ingredients used in generic drugs to help fight the coronavirus.

Announcing the loan, the US government said it wanted to reduce dependency on foreign countries for medical supplies.
"If we have learned anything from the global pandemic, it is that Americans are dangerously dependent on foreign supply chains for their essential medicines,"
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-53563601

Dominic Raab is to slash aid money to China following outcry over a £71 million package sent to the world’s second-largest economy in a single year.
The UK aid money sent to China was also used to train Chinese citizens to use technology, helping it settle business disputes, urging it to “support human rights” and to qualify teachers.

Millions were also given to the China prosperity fund, which gives money to schemes that “address market failures and weaknesses that impede China’s inclusive economic growth”
https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/foreign-aid-money-china-dominic-raab-a4506646.html

Offline Hugo

« Reply #833 on: July 29, 2020, 03:08:24 pm »
It must be hard on families who have had a bereavement during the lockdown but the rules are there for a purpose to prevent the spread of this virus and apply to all of us as we are all in it together,  or are we?
What about the 200 plus mourners that attended a Gypsy funeral or the same number of people who attended a funeral at a Mosque,  do the rules not apply to those communities too?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-53573259?intlink_from_url=https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/wales/north_west_wales&link_location=live-reporting-story

Offline Robbie G

« Reply #834 on: July 29, 2020, 04:07:55 pm »
Hugo in a word no ,They are classed as the socially  disadvantaged in other words untouchable 

Offline Blongb

• I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #835 on: July 29, 2020, 04:19:55 pm »
It must be hard on families who have had a bereavement during the lockdown but the rules are there for a purpose to prevent the spread of this virus and apply to all of us as we are all in it together,  or are we?
What about the 200 plus mourners that attended a Gypsy funeral or the same number of people who attended a funeral at a Mosque,  do the rules not apply to those communities too?

The good news is that there is a far more likelihood of the virus spreading amongst such gatherings. Nature usually finds a way of eradicating idiots.  :occasion6: What's social distancing anyway and surely that's for other people not us.  :occasion6:
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline DVT

« Reply #836 on: July 29, 2020, 07:24:16 pm »
Went into Llandudno Mostyn Street on foot today for first time since March ... was amazed at how busy it was, just like a normal day ... but there was quite a bit of grouping and hardly any social distancing ... I got some strange looks as I took a wide swerve around oncoming people.  Felt that I should have a 6' stick to wave at them, as I doubt anyone knows just what 2 metres looks like.  All the outside eating places seemed busy - I didn't stay long, just had to do some banking to do, then went home.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #837 on: July 29, 2020, 07:55:23 pm »
I'm concerned that because some restrictions have been relaxed the less intelligent will assume it's al over.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Blongb

• I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #838 on: July 30, 2020, 01:22:45 am »
We've had a huge influx of people into the town as lockdown has eased, whether it turns out to be the right thing or not, only time will tell. Luckily I'm not trying to earn a living any more being happily retired, so I have a very biased view on the easing of the restrictions. I'm still wearing a face mask when I go out and like DVT I still maintain my social distancing. I wouldn't dream of using any of the outside eating or drinking places, no matter what it's doing to the local economy and just hope and pray we don't have a second wave of infection. aaa.gif
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #839 on: July 30, 2020, 02:32:16 am »
Whenever we have had good reason to walk into Mostyn Street, we are surprised to note that visitors in a family bubble think it is alright to walk 4, 5 and 6 abreast and even 7 or 8 abreast on the promenade.