Author Topic: Points to Ponder  (Read 92467 times)

SteveH

• News Editor
Re: Points to Ponder
« Reply #825 on: April 27, 2020, 10:20:57 AM »
Child poverty in North Wales - the awful truth
New Government figures reveal there were almost 26,000 children living below the breadline in the region last year.

There are five other neighbourhoods in North Wales where more than a third of children are estimated to be living in poverty.
Two are in areas of Colwyn Bay, one in Pensarn, one in Rhyl and one in Queensway, Wrexham.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Hugo

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #826 on: June 13, 2020, 01:08:16 PM »
All lives matter

SteveH

• News Editor
« Reply #827 on: June 15, 2020, 01:29:17 PM »
Is it just me ? 600.000 plus to park 109 cars..........   &shake&

Works on a new park and share facility to ease traffic congestion and tackle 'fly parking' on Anglesey is nearing completion

Ruthin-based Jones Bros Civil Engineering UK was appointed by Anglesey County Council to deliver the project, near Gaerwen, which is set to improve journey times and subsequently benefit the environment.

The scheme, awarded to Jones Bros for an original sum of 600,000, is funded through Welsh Government Local Transport Fund.

The facility comprises of 109 parking spaces adjacent to junction 7 of the eastbound carriageway of the A55 North Wales expressway near the 20m Menai Science Park.

Hugo

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #828 on: July 06, 2020, 05:28:25 PM »
When I was a young boy and living in Cwm Place I could see a tower on the hill and we all called it Granny's Armchair because of the shape of the ruined building.      Years later I found out the purpose of the building and it made you realise the dangers people were living in in those days.     Slavery has been going on for thousands of years and while it is abhorrent to people now we can't change  our history but it does confirm that all lives matter

spotty dog

• Member.
« Reply #829 on: July 06, 2020, 06:29:54 PM »
I couldn't agree with you more Hugo

SteveH

• News Editor
« Reply #830 on: Yesterday at 10:34:57 AM »
I don't know. At the moment all three governments subscribe to what is an outmoded economic theory. Modern Monetary Theory, a heterodox, macroeconomic theory that describes currency as a public monopoly is the new and current model.

In that theory, a modern democracy is only limited in its money creation and purchases by inflation, which only accelerates once the real resources (labour, capital and natural resources) of the economy are utilized at full employment. Since no modern democracy normally achieves full employment, it can be argued that inflation won't, in fact, increase.

This theory sounds wild, until you realise there's a lot of emerging evidence underpinning it. For example, since 2008 the bank of England has been printing billions, yet inflation is now at its lowest ever level.

The entire global economy has been drop-shocked by Covid, yet inflation still seems very low.

The USA national debt is in the trillions, yet their inflation is low. So it's quite possible the Welsh government could simply write off the debts by putting a line through them. It'll be interesting see how it plays out.

They do seem to be throwing money at everything these days, a lot of headlines like ......

Everyone in the UK could be given a 500 shopping voucher to help save the high street under new plans unveiled by Chancellor Rishi Sunak,  the 30billion scheme could save hundreds of thousands of jobs amid a looming recession.
cont  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Chancellor Rishi Sunak will announce a 2bn "kickstart scheme" later to create more jobs for young people.

The fund will subsidise six-month work placements for people on Universal Credit aged between 16 and 24, who are at risk of long-term unemployment.
cont  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Hundreds of thousands of homeowners will receive vouchers of up to 5,000 for energy-saving home improvements, with the poorest getting up to 10,000.

Chancellor Rishi Sunak is due to set out a 2bn grant scheme in England for projects such as insulation as part of a wider 3bn plan to cut emissions.
The Treasury said the grants could help to support more than 100,000 jobs.
cont You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login