Author Topic: Points to Ponder  (Read 214084 times)

Offline Ian

• Administrator
Re: Points to Ponder
« Reply #795 on: August 07, 2019, 10:51:07 am »
Maybe some enterprising crook had dumped it there for safe keeping...  *cycle*
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #796 on: August 07, 2019, 10:53:23 am »
It sounds like the modern mentality has exceeded itself there Steve, but why didn't the owner notify the Police.     Unless of course   ........

I remember a situation in the Flintshire area years ago when the owner of a property reported a  break in to the Police and alleged that a large amount of money representing the weekend's takings had been stolen from his safe
The Police went to his property and the incident was splashed out across all the local papers.
Amongst the readers of the papers were staff from the Inland Revenue who were also interested in the article and paid the gentleman a visit too       :o

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #797 on: August 18, 2019, 12:00:44 pm »
I am not sure if I agree with these changes,  but we are reading a lot about drug related crime, which affects us all, and it would be interesting to see the results of the trials, mentioned below, and to hear others views ......   

Radical new approach to halt rise in Wales' drug deaths.      Interesting article from the Pioneer
https://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/17844647.boris-johnson-called-adopt-radical-new-approach-halt-rise-wales-39-drug-deaths/

Drug policy of Portugal
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drug_policy_of_Portugal

Drug policy of the Netherlands.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drug_policy_of_the_Netherlands

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #798 on: August 18, 2019, 01:18:19 pm »
Poor drug users maybe get up in the morning and work , wouldn't need to rob for their drugs , lots of people in this country have had it bad but don't go down the drug route,sick of the rats around where we live , oh can't wait till this police commissioner visits Llandudno in November 😡

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #799 on: August 18, 2019, 06:25:05 pm »
As long as drugs remain illegal there'll be problems. However, as the legal use and sale of alcohol has conclusively shown, by legalising drugs it does three things: regulates the quality of the supply, so the NHS has to deal with fewer cases of unintentional poisoning, creates a new revenue stream for the exchequer and puts numerous criminal gangs out of business at a stroke.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline SteveH

« Reply #800 on: August 29, 2019, 11:46:22 am »
I am with the person who put up the sign, maybe a bit strong for some members of the passing public (children) but I understand why, I have used signs before, polite, ( not what I wanted to write ), I had an open garden/verge, most picked up, some just smeared and others let their dogs crash through the flower beds, probably on the end of a 30ft. lead,  I would not call these people responsible, I also include those who allow their dogs to pee anywhere, on recycling bags and boxes etc, bearing in mind these could be handled/taken in for storage, we assume both have been contaminated.

AN 'OFFENSIVE' notice has gone up in Llansannan urging owners to take their pets elsewhere - in a move to combat dog fouling.

Llansannan Community Blog posted a photograph of the sign on Facebook, which read: 'Take Your Dog Elsewhere to S*** as I am sick of getting covered in it when grass cutting'.
https://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/17867969.residents-react-39-offensive-39-sign-put-attempt-combat-dog-fouling-llansannan/

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #801 on: August 29, 2019, 12:25:46 pm »
Some people are about as selfish as it's possible to be. Some dog owners are certainly less well trained than dogs.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #802 on: August 31, 2019, 11:55:31 am »
The other day I was watching Songs of Praise and was quite moved watching Katherine Jenkins singing "Peace in the valley"   with the Birmingham Voices filmed at the beautiful national botanic gardens of Wales.     I enjoyed it so much that I looked it up on Google and have since bought the album.

Among the comments about the singer was one I came across, which I had almost forgotten about and it was a hacked email from a narcissist with an over inflated sense of self importance.   I'm talking about David Beckham the ex footballer and his rant was about not getting a knighthood that he thought that he deserved

I don't know what he is up to but the Daily Mirror is publishing photos of him that Beckham sends to the paper.  They are in it nearly every other day and it's getting a bit boring now.    Is he pushing his claim for a knighthood again?

https://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/david-beckham-allegedly-raged-against-9754803?

Offline SteveH

« Reply #803 on: September 19, 2019, 06:08:08 pm »
This is scary case............. Especially with a trusted letting agent.

Couple lose their dream home because of who rented it while they were away
A husband and wife left their home in the hands of a letting agent, but choice of tenants put it in breach of housing regulations.

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/couple-lose-dream-home-because-16948514

Offline SteveH

« Reply #804 on: October 31, 2019, 03:46:14 pm »
We have some friends on the Wirral who told us about the Mischief trouble in the area, it is no longer mischief, it is criminal.

Mischief Night incidents including arson attacks have been seen in towns and cities.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-46045064

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #805 on: October 31, 2019, 06:15:34 pm »
Liverpool appears to be one of the worst hit, but Liverpool has long had a history of vandalism and general trouble, starting on or around mid-September and continuing until after Nov 5th. This is not a tradition; it's simply gangs of teens making life miserable for the majority.

Offline SAJ

« Reply #806 on: November 01, 2019, 11:10:09 am »
It is a shame that such groups give such a bad impression of young people. Fortunately,
the majority of youngsters are well-behaved and enjoy this time of year without resorting to mindless acts of vandalism. I am happy to report that our "trick or treaters" last night, aged between about 3 to 16 years, were a delight. All were dressed for the occasion and I think, appreciated our efforts to decorate our garden for Halloween. It was good to engage with them and in the case of the younger ones, their parents. One little group handed me the attached note.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #807 on: November 01, 2019, 11:43:16 am »
Excellent, good to hear, glad your efforts were appreciated.  clappinghappy

Offline Hugo

« Reply #808 on: November 01, 2019, 12:09:50 pm »
Yes,  we tend to forget that the majority of young people are decent and well behaved.      It's the small minority that grab the headlines and spoil it for others

Offline Hugo

« Reply #809 on: November 24, 2019, 03:25:05 pm »
Why has it taken so long to think about this and not have it in law?         The Government is going on and on about not enough houses being built but does nothing about Developers "land banking"      Anwyl Construction is not the only one sitting on land and doing nothing about developing the land, perhaps if the were taxed on it then it would make them do something about it.      Let's hope that the Government back date the tax while they are at it

https://www.capital-law.co.uk/news/2018/10/26/vacant-land-tax-what-you-need-to-know/