Author Topic: Points to Ponder  (Read 214266 times)

Offline Ian

• Administrator
Re: Points to Ponder
« Reply #780 on: March 01, 2019, 10:59:58 am »
The most objectionable aspect of that saga for me was describing Dooley as a "television journalist".
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #781 on: April 04, 2019, 12:08:23 pm »
'Fleecehold': Homeowner maintenance charges 'need regulating,   I wonder if it's happening in Llandudno. perhaps Llandudno is the main fleecehold town in North Wales?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-47803135

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #782 on: April 10, 2019, 02:57:39 pm »
Somethings make you feel old, really old, ... &shake&           

Now you can study Game of Thrones at this North Wales university

A North Wales university is one of only a handful in the world where Game of Thrones fans can study the HBO show as part of their degree.

The Realms of Magic module which explores Game of Thrones ' medieval roots is studied as part of the Medieval Literature and Fantasy degree at Bangor University .

Taught by Professor Raluca Radulescu, students learn about a topical set of novels and the Game of Thrones TV series as part of the course.                      more....  https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/now-you-can-study-game-16106564

Offline SteveH

« Reply #783 on: June 03, 2019, 09:43:25 am »
Interesting concept..........

We'll tackle rubbish problem at Snowdonia beauty spots, say bosses - by taking the bins away
Natural Resources Wales say the move will cut the costs of collecting litter at car parks where they don't charge.

Natural Resources Wales, who have introduced the policy at some of their sites, said the move aims to reduce the problem of overnight parking and cut the costs of collecting litter from Geirionydd and Crafnant car parks in Snowdonia.   Cont..........

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/well-tackle-rubbish-problem-snowdonia-16358169

Offline DVT

« Reply #784 on: June 03, 2019, 01:00:43 pm »
I suspect that instead of having overflowing bins and the mess around them the litter will now be spread over a far wider area so will not look as bad.

I am being cynical, just in case anyone thinks that is a serious comment.

But seriously though, yes people should take their litter with them but how practical is that if you're here for a week's holiday - can you find a bin when you do get back to civilisation or will that be overflowing as well.

The people who are supposedly running things seem to have some odd ideas and lack joined-up thinking - just what is the qualification to be a part of NRW or local councils?

Offline Hugo

« Reply #785 on: June 30, 2019, 02:45:22 pm »
If the Government and Police think that using a hand held phone while driving is as bad as someone who drinks and drives then surely the penalty for the offence should be the same?
My wife's elderly friend's car was damaged by a woman who was driving whilst on the phone.   Hearing the sound of the crash the elderly friend came out of the cafe where she had been having a meal to find her parked car a possible write off and to rub salt into the wound this woman was still on the phone
What will the woman get for that?    Possibly 6 points on her licence and nothing else because the CPS may consider that there is insufficient evidence to prosecute the woman for dangerous driving
Thank goodness  the elderly lady wasn't in the car at the time and no one was injured by the offence

Offline SteveH

« Reply #786 on: July 08, 2019, 01:48:23 pm »
The plot thickens............

Mansion developers insist they will be 'fully vindicated' as police 'assess information' about former hotels
Council officials and police have met over the Mid-Wales hotels sold by Paul and Rowena Williams.

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/business/business-news/mansion-developers-insist-fully-vindicated-14955240

For a further view point, the latest news from Jac. not a fan of the DP  ... https://jacothenorth.net/blog/   

Plas Glynllifon mansion owner says they are selling the site
Myles Cunliffe said they were in the 'final stage' of negotiations with a hotel operator.
The joint owner of Plas Glynllifon mansion says they are selling the site - with final negotiations taking place with a hotel operator.

Paul and Rowena Williams bought Plas Glynllifon near Caernarfon in 2016 - promising a multi-million pound redevelopment into a luxury hotel.    Cont.....  https://www.dailypost.co.uk/business/business-news/plas-glynllifon-mansion-owner-says-16548787

Offline Hugo

« Reply #787 on: July 08, 2019, 08:10:59 pm »
I heard on the TV tonight that the Welsh Government are considering banning cars from parking on the pavement.    It won't be a blanket ban, but I don't envy how they will be able to sort this out.
Some roads in this area are so narrow that unless people parked on the pavement other cars couldn't be able to get past.  I'm not talking about those cars being an obstruction on the pavement as there are already laws to stop that type of thing.
It will be interesting to see just what they come up with and I'm sure that whatever it is will be controversial

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #788 on: July 09, 2019, 06:51:23 am »
I thought that was part of the proposed DTI nation-wide ban on pavement parking. Under rule 242 of the Highway Code it says: ”You MUST NOT leave your vehicle or trailer in a dangerous position or where it causes any unnecessary obstruction of the road.

Section 22 of the Road Traffic Act 1988 echoes this stating: “If a person in charge of a vehicle causes or permits the vehicle or a trailer drawn by it to remain at rest on a road in such a position or in such condition or in such circumstances as to [involve a danger of injury] to other persons using the road, he is guilty of an offence.”

But currently Police forces everywhere can hand out fines for pavement parking;  I suspect what's being tried is creating a level playing field.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #789 on: July 09, 2019, 09:54:34 am »
I think that you can still park on the pavement  providing that it doesn't cause an obstruction,  in other words people can walk past it, electric scooters, prams etc can get past it too.
Also the car should be facing the correct way if parked there overnight
I believe from the report that London is the only city to ban vehicles from parking on the pavement, but it will be a nightmare in some streets around here if parking on the pavement is banned

Offline SteveH

« Reply #790 on: July 09, 2019, 10:27:23 am »
I had a quick look at various articles, and thought this worth a read, especially some of the comments......

Parking on the pavement - is it illegal? The definitive answer.... RAC view

Article and 105 comments plus a poll         https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/advice/legal/parking-on-the-pavement/

By Roy Stobbart
"The issue here is that in many areas street parking more or less demands vehicles to park with 2 wheels on the path/verge. This is not just older housing estates but even roads in new estates are being built to the minimum width.
The potential new rules to be applied, as described in the above article, suggests motorists would be OK as long as the road required it. This needs a reasonable decision to be taken by the motorist.
Unfortunately we all know that there are a large number of motorists who do not behave in a reasonable manner or even consider the impact on others of where or how they park.
We cannot even rely on motorists NOT to park in "disabled" or "mother and baby" bays, even though they are clearly signposted.
If it is convenient for them to do so then they will park anywhere.
Unfortunately for the majority of considerate motorists the Dept Of Transport is more likely to base their considerations on treating us all as if we are inconsiderate of others
Likely outcome - they will bring in new parking rules, over zealous wardens will book as many as possible and the government coffers will find a new, highly rewarding, means of income.
When you are booked for parking how can you contest it? It will all be down to arguing the subjective meaning of the word reasonable and hearings will have to decide whether it is the warden (doing their job??) or the motorist (looking for space in a congested area) who has interpreted "reasonable" correctly - and that is down to a subjective judgement by the hearing"

Offline Hugo

« Reply #791 on: July 09, 2019, 10:39:33 am »
I  suppose what is going to happen is that common sense is being replaced by legislation due to the inconsideration and thoughtlessness of a minority of bad drivers.
That seems to be happening in all walks of life where the minority abuse the system and spoil it for the rest of us

Offline SteveH

« Reply #792 on: July 16, 2019, 04:52:44 pm »
First the headline.....Council's £80k plan to study AirBnB use in North Wales

then............."Gwynedd, which has more second homes than any other county in Wales, believe the cash-strapped council is missing out on £2m a year in potential revenue as owners of such properties seek to avoid paying the 50 per cent council tax premium."

I wonder how many studies are carried out by cash strapped councils, and if they just used common sense, how much would be saved.

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/councils-80k-plan-study-airbnb-16594901

Offline SteveH

« Reply #793 on: July 31, 2019, 01:57:50 pm »
Am I being naive or is this more business than charity...........

Prominent former bank in Llandudno set to become charity shop under developer's rollout plan
The old RBS unit in the town has been targeted by Rob Lloyd for a new Sense charity shop.
https://www.dailypost.co.uk/business/business-news/prominent-former-bank-llandudno-set-16673213

Offline SteveH

« Reply #794 on: August 07, 2019, 10:36:21 am »
A story in the DP this morning..............

A dog walker was surprised to find a safe dumped in bushes at the side of the road.
“I was walking my dog around 6pm Sunday evening down Llys Helyg Drive, Llandudno, It was clear it had been forced open, the floor it was bolted to had been cut, as it was still attached to the bottom of it."

“I was a little shocked and decided to post it on Facebook to see if anyone recognised it."

Even by today's standards, you contact the Police, and not social media first ?

Although surprisingly the Police have not been advised of a theft ?