Author Topic: Points to Ponder  (Read 214142 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: Points to Ponder
« Reply #750 on: November 13, 2018, 10:33:56 pm »

Electric bikes 'may combat child obesity in Conwy county'
Electric bikes could hold the key to helping overweight children get fit, leisure staff in Conwy county claim.
They have reported "significant improvements" in a scheme to boost the health of obese adults, attracted to e-bikes by the battery-operated motor.

Eating smaller portions may be the key to combat childhood obesity and their parents can lead by example.    Far cheaper for the parents and the taxpayers in the long run

Offline Quiggs

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #751 on: November 14, 2018, 11:22:56 am »
They would probably lose more weight on an ordinary bike  :)
Dictum Meum Pactum

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #752 on: November 15, 2018, 03:43:44 pm »
I am sure you can imagine my first thoughts on this article  >:(  (Is this a local tax payers problem etc )............ I have reflected on various other schemes, the national, helping smokers to stop comes to mind, so I would be interested to hear other views.......
Electric bikes 'may combat child obesity in Conwy county'
Electric bikes could hold the key to helping overweight children get fit, leisure staff in Conwy county claim.
They have reported "significant improvements" in a scheme to boost the health of obese adults, attracted to e-bikes by the battery-operated motor.
Conwy's cabinet is being asked to match-fund £5,000 to buy five child-size e-bikes for use across the county.

Conwy council donate £5,000 for electric bicycles to help with obesity

A leading councillor has come out fighting in defence of a scheme which would see e-bikes used to encourage obese children to exercise more.
Councillors in Conwy voted on Tuesday to provide £5,000 match funding to pay for electric bicycles to be used to encourage overweight children into cycling.

But Cllr Louise Emery, the cabinet member for economic development, today hit back at public criticism of the plans, saying it was a solution to a health crisis.

Figures provided to the councillors showed that a third of children in the county had a problem with their weight, and that overweight kids were more likely to take up cycling if they used a bike with a motor to help them up hills.

Cllr Emery said: “It is quite an innovative project, but one that is a sign of our times and one which has riled people because what we are suggesting is that we are going to support the funding of electric bikes for children who have weight management difficulties.
“It is a sign of our times and we can rant about it and say this is a disgrace and that we have an obesity crisis amongst our primary school children. Yes, rant over, but now we have to find a solution.

“This is the answer being brought forward by the leisure team and this team is at the forefront of using cycling to promote health and wellbeing.
“The project they’ve put on for adults and they are planning to do for children is long outdoor rides on some of our many beautiful country roads where, when you go up the hill, you need a little bit of help.

“The aim is to get these children into traditional cycling. The alternative is that they just don’t go at all – they’re too embarrassed and they go and do whatever has caused their weight problem.

“I make no apologies for complaints saying it’s a waste of money. It is a solution.
“It’s terrible that it has to be a solution, but we have this problem with obesity and we need to sort it out.”
Members of the cabinet voted unanimously in favour of the plans.  ref Pioneer

Online Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #753 on: November 15, 2018, 06:45:09 pm »
I thought insanity couldn't get any more pronounced, but I was wrong.  This is a good example of people not having a clue what they're talking about.

First off, the obesity issue is not connected to the availability of electric bikes. It's down to other causes, such as - have I mentioned - bad parenting.

Secondly, the council tax payers should not have their money used for such an absurd purpose. The rather confused Cllr Louise Emery says it's 'a health crisis'. No, dear; the Black Death was a health crisis. Smallpox was a health crisis. This is bad parenting.

Thirdly, even if it were a health crisis, then why isn't the NHS supplying every overweight child with an electric bike? Last time I checked the NHS was responsible for health crises - not CCBC, who clearly have trouble even with basic logic and reasoning, let alone managing a 'health crisis'.

Fourthly, how did children become slimmer when there were no electric bikes? Let me think...oh, yes;  they played football? Did a lot of walking? Played tick?

Kids are not playing out as much as they did in days of yore. Partly this is to do with parenting and ignorant concerns over children being abducted. Kids are safer now than at any time in history. Except now they stand a chance of being mown down by some thundering, overweight 11 year-old weaving across the pavement like a deranged porpoise on an electric bike.  Of course a lot are glued to their iPhones, PS4s, Xboxes and TVs, almost certainly becoming in need of a surgical procedure to separate them from the things, but this is down to the stupidity of parents who don't force them to stop gazing into the infinite wastes of Fortnite and get out and - oh, meet some real people, perhaps.

Never has human society been in a more precarious position; children are glued to demonic boxes of tricks, gaining weight like cats being force-fed by indulgent owners, the electorate across the globe is apparently losing its collective mind, electing bullies, idiots and liars to the position of president, the political parties in the country are at war with themselves, let alone each other, we appear to be heading  towards a cliff edge of terrifying proportions because of a plebiscite called on behalf of some Tories who felt EU rules safeguarding workers were too strict and who secretly yearn for the days when they could get away with sending eight year-olds up chimneys, no legislation other than the so-called brexit deal has been considered for two years and we're continuing to poison our atmosphere day by, day yet an increasing number of people believe the world is flat.

What a wonderful time to be alive...
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline DVT

« Reply #754 on: November 16, 2018, 04:19:51 pm »
Surely if they are going to give kids bikes then they should be the "normal" ones so they can get exercise by pedalling the things - you don't see any obese lycra louts, and you would get more bikes for the same money as well.

... and on a slightly different tack - how can CCBC justify putting up Council Tax so much (11%?) when they are wasting money like this ... I realise the amount planned for spending on bikes is only a fraction of the overall budget but how many other useless projects are going to be introduced?

Offline bigbadhenry

« Reply #755 on: November 17, 2018, 08:54:14 am »
Typical CBCC wasting our rates again and pleading poverty.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #756 on: November 23, 2018, 10:37:36 pm »
Met Police scooter crash video released and it appears that the tactics are working

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-46321720

Offline SteveH

« Reply #757 on: November 24, 2018, 09:31:13 am »
Rough justice, if you can't stand the heat............. :'(

Offline SteveH

« Reply #758 on: November 25, 2018, 06:52:46 pm »
Sad times................   :(

Hero's saved woman from sea as bystanders filmed it instead of helping
Steve Griffiths, who is set to receive a bravery award, said the actions of others at the scene were 'a sign of the times'

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/hero-saved-woman-sea-bystanders-15446228

Offline SteveH

« Reply #759 on: November 30, 2018, 04:50:45 pm »
Kids' hospice, a school and the Taxman among hundreds of creditors owed millions by Bodnant
Bodnant closes its today doors with debts of over £11m, owing everything from £9m to a director to £26 to some school kids

As Bodnant Welsh Food Centre is set to close its doors tomorrow, hundreds of creditors will face a long wait to see whether the money they are owed will ever be paid back.
The list of creditors runs to 230 names.

Ty Gobaith is owed over a thousand pounds, whilst Ysgol San Sior, in Llandudno, who supplied eggs to the farm shop is owed £26.
But the biggest creditor by far, according to paperwork sent to individuals and companies owed money by the Furnace Farm Ltd, which ran the site, is owner-director Michael McClaren, who is listed as being owed more than £9.6m by the company.

Others owed includes Tu Hwnt i'r Bont tearooms, in Llanrwst, who are owed £4,344 for the cakes they supplied to the shop, Gwynedd Confectioners £4,097 and Heartland Coffi, in Llandudno, £2,664.

The figures also reveal HMRC are owed over £34,000 for VAT and employee tax and national insurance.

Also on the creditors list is the Welsh European Funding Office, which is listed as being a creditor to the tune of £2.45m.
But when the Daily Post approached the Welsh Government, it said it was not owed anything, adding: "£1.97m of EU

Structural funds from the 2007-13 programme was used to help renovate derelict buildings, create retail facilities for local food at the Bodnant Welsh Food Centre and generate investment in Conwy.

"The Wales European Funding Office (WEFO) is not owed any EU funds invested in the Bodnant Welsh Food Centre.”
REF DP

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #760 on: November 30, 2018, 06:14:05 pm »
That is shocking, I never went there, could never see the point of the place!
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Hugo

« Reply #761 on: December 01, 2018, 04:52:18 pm »
It's sad to see any local business close down and go into administration and I feel especially sorry for all those small businesses that are owed money from the company.    Quite often it puts a great deal of financial pressure on those small creditors and sometimes those creditors can go bust through no fault of their own.
It was good to see that a Mr Richard Reynolds was interested in taking over the lease of the property but I wonder who owns the freehold of the property?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-46407902

Offline SteveH

« Reply #762 on: December 01, 2018, 05:38:37 pm »
A bit more info, I found the other day,

Businessman Richard Reynolds, https://suite.endole.co.uk/insight/company/09296384-love-to-eat-llandudno-limited  who hails from the area, has come to the rescue and looks set to buy the food centre which entered an accelerated sales process earlier this month.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #763 on: December 02, 2018, 11:04:16 am »
Met Police scooter crash video released and it appears that the tactics are working

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-46321720

Theresa May has backed "robust" police tactics for dealing with criminals who use mopeds to commit crimes such as snatching bags or phones.
Footage of police ramming vehicles into scooters to knock off suspects provoked controversy, with the Met Police saying two thieves had broken bones.
Continued https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-46416134

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #764 on: December 03, 2018, 10:26:24 am »
A bit more info, I found the other day,

Businessman Richard Reynolds, https://suite.endole.co.uk/insight/company/09296384-love-to-eat-llandudno-limited  who hails from the area, has come to the rescue and looks set to buy the food centre which entered an accelerated sales process earlier this month.
He owns the LoveToEat chain of cafes. Personally, I wouldn't touch Bodnant with a barge pole. Still, I suppose it's nice that Lord Aberconwy had all the buildings renovated by the Welsh Govt free of charge...