The Local > Genealogy & Research

Even Hughes

(1/3) > >>

anneelaine:
Hello,
Looking into Even Hughes, born  Eglwys-Fach, 1848,death Llandudno 1930, mentone house lived on the corner ,  Abbey road Llandudno ,  he was a builder.
 looking into who is father & mother were
  and see if I am going on the right path.
AE .

Helig:
There is an Evan Hughes on the 1851 census in Eglwys-Fach. He is aged 3 years. The household comprises:

Thomas Hughes, Head, married, age 33, Ag Lab, born Eglwys-Fach.
Elizabeth Hughes, wife, age 34, Ag Lab's wife, born Eglwys-Fach.
Harriett Hughes, daughter, age 10, Scholar. Born Eglwys- Fach.
John Hughes, son, age 7, Scholar, born Eglwys-Fach.
Elizabeth Hughes, daughter, age 4, born Eglwys-Fach.
Evan Hughes, son, age 3, born Eglwys-Fach.
Mary Hughes, daughter, age 2 months, born Eglwys-Fach.

I am struggling to read the name of their house.

Evan Hughes is in the township of Brognod, Eglwys-Fach in the 1861 census. He is shown as age 13, a Farm Servant in the household of John Thomas, Farmer of 30 acres, at Maes Adda, Eglwys-Fach. Evan is shown as born Eglwys-Fach.

Helig

anneelaine:
Thank you so much, if its the right family Catharine Hughes was born  1859  Eglwys-Fach, my great grandmother.

DVT:
The house name that that Hugo couldn't decipher is Bryn Pwll Budr (which I think translates as hill of the muddy pool!) which is actually a group of houses and the area is now known as Brymbo, this is the small hamlet just as you approach Eglwysbach from the north.

Brognod is actually Bodnod, the name of the township back then.  Bodnant Hall was originally called Bodnod Hall (renamed by Henry Pochin when he bought it in 1874), the nucleus of the township.

Maes Adda farm still exists (OS Map 116/808720) and I have distant links to the Thomas family that were there when Evan Hughes was one of the servants!

Anneelaine ... do you have any info of Evans's parents, especially Thomas Hughes (born 1818) - he would be your great-great-grandfather.

I am wondering if he could be a brother of William Hughes (born 1807) who is my great-great-grandfather, with wife Anne Davies had a daughter Catherine Hughes (b1839-1915) who is my great-grandmother, she was married to Ezekiel Thomas.  I know it's a long shot but, looking through Eglwysbach records of that time, there were very few Hughes families.

anneelaine:
DVT, what was William Hughes (born 1807) what was his fathers name please, I have a name But!!!
Thanks AE

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version