Author Topic: Llandudno Victorian Extravaganza  (Read 173468 times)

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
Re: Llandudno Victorian Extravaganza
« Reply #105 on: May 01, 2011, 06:55:51 pm »
;) The event works well ,hence the amount of people who keep on coming,i fully appreciate people have their views,but Llandudno excists for tourism and i will resist CCBC  and others from turning Llandudno into a quite retirement place. :-*

I agree 100%   $good$  We've got Penrhyn Bay as the nice 'quiet retirement place'  :D  Well done to all involved, especially the transport festival, we'll enter ourt Spitfire next year!
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #106 on: May 01, 2011, 07:03:47 pm »
I actually think that the Extravaganza is bigger (and better) than any previous ones.
Not Very Victorian I agree, but there would be a lot less to see and do if it was.

Lots more big, scary rides in the Trinity Square, / Augusta area...   yep, definitely more this year.

Well done to all concerned.

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #107 on: May 01, 2011, 07:07:48 pm »
My wife and I went into Llandudno today, no trouble parking and the town was packed and happy, the parade was great and everyone having a good time.
Edited
Why, oh why, is there always someone ready to whine?
Is there a whiners school where they learn to whine or does it come naturally?

It takes all sorts to make a World and amongst them are some good ordinary people who do not like such events as the Extravaganza.  I certainly am not on my own.  However I do consider that the event just takes over the town.  Roads are jammed and God forbid if there was a major fire or other emergency incident!  Where was the "risk assessment" because I saw no evidence of any having been applied.

I am pleased that many people have enjoyed and will continue to enjoy the events and that the town is benefitting thereby.   But, it's not for me thank you!

And as a final comment - whinging (not whining) is very useful as it stimulates discussion and comment from the opposite and same viewpoints!   That's why I make my comments, I could just sit back and say nowt!  _))*   Now you can tell me that is exactly what I should do.    ZXZ
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #108 on: May 01, 2011, 08:15:10 pm »
The Lady In White makes a ghostly appearance on the Pier:

Ghostly
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 06:56:57 pm by DaveR »

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #109 on: May 01, 2011, 08:40:53 pm »
Helter Skelter on the Prom:

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #110 on: May 01, 2011, 09:02:13 pm »
I absolutely love Fairground Organs and the one in your photo is a particularly good one with great animation and assortment of instruments.  I could stand and listen to it for hours.  Must get some sandwiches organised and my portable chair and spend some time there whilst I have a chance.
98 Key Southsea Atkinson Gavioli at Llandudno Victorian Extravaganza
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline ddonovan

« Reply #111 on: May 01, 2011, 09:05:05 pm »
Good Evening All, apologies if this has already been posted but can I ask what the main parade route is tomorrow & any ideas as to where the best spot to take some photos is? Thanks

Offline Trojan

« Reply #112 on: May 01, 2011, 09:16:27 pm »
And as a final comment - whinging (not whining) is very useful as it stimulates discussion and comment from the opposite and same viewpoints!   That's why I make my comments, I could just sit back and say nowt!  _))*   Now you can tell me that is exactly what I should do.    ZXZ

Keep whining.....sorry whinging, as it makes the forum a livelier place.  8)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #113 on: May 01, 2011, 09:17:34 pm »
The Parade runs from Clonmel Street along the Prom to Prince Edward Square, then down past the Carlton roundabout into Gloddaeth Street, turning into Chapel Street and then back along Lloyd Street to the Town Hall.

For photos, you'll need the sun at your back, I stood at the junction of Prom/Prince Edward Square to get my Parade pics.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #114 on: May 01, 2011, 09:19:36 pm »
I absolutely love Fairground Organs
I was saying to Fester yesterday that it would be good if a Fairground Organ could be sited on the Prom by the Cenotaph on Summer weekend afternoons. That's the sort of thing the Town Council should be organising.

This one, built by Marenghi & Co. of Paris in 1910, was my favourite:

Offline Trojan

« Reply #115 on: May 01, 2011, 09:21:01 pm »
I actually think that the Extravaganza is bigger (and better) than any previous ones. Not Very Victorian I agree, but there would be a lot less to see and do if it was.

Didn't you notice the buildings in Mostyn St, the hotels on the prom, the pier? They're all Victorian.  ;D

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #116 on: May 01, 2011, 09:40:51 pm »
I absolutely love Fairground Organs
I was saying to Fester yesterday that it would be good if a Fairground Organ could be sited on the Prom by the Cenotaph on Summer weekend afternoons. That's the sort of thing the Town Council should be organising.

This one, built by Marenghi & Co. of Paris in 1910, was my favourite:

I like them to look at and its clever engineering but I can't stand the racket they make  :rage: Many years ago I used to go on holiday to Porthmadog with a friend and in my car we took it in turns with the cassette player, i had all my rock music, Pink Floyd etc which he hated and he had fairground organs and brass band cassettes which I hated :rage: L0L

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #117 on: May 01, 2011, 09:43:40 pm »
I assume they use a card reader to play each piece of music?

I heard the Marenghi organ playing the Tom Jones classic 'Delilah' and the Dads Army theme tune whilst I was on the Prom!

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #118 on: May 01, 2011, 09:47:39 pm »
I assume they use a card reader to play each piece of music?

I heard the Marenghi organ playing the Tom Jones classic 'Delilah' and the Dads Army theme tune whilst I was on the Prom!

It's sort of an early digital code, very clever it is too, shame my ears can't stand it  :'(  :D

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #119 on: May 02, 2011, 08:12:00 am »
The Lady In White makes a ghostly appearance on the Pier:

We'll all visit you   WWW
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.