Author Topic: Llandudno Victorian Extravaganza  (Read 171024 times)

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
Llandudno Victorian Extravaganza
« on: March 20, 2011, 04:09:37 pm »
  ???Just been on Oscar and some nice person has been slagging of the volunteers for going round all the buisnesses and asking for a small donation towards the,entertainment,the steam engines,the bands,the ever ending demands from CCBC [STREET CLEANING ,LICENSES,BARRIERS]and in return a sticker is given to stick in their window,which i believe a few have given but do not wish to display their sticker.This person is claiming its a bully tatic and they have paid their rates for 20 years,what this has to do with the extravaganza is beyond me,surely there is no one in this town that thinks any council help this organisation. The town council started the event 25 years ago and quickly realised it is hard work and off loaded it,they used to give 5,000 thousand pounds towards it,soon it went down to 1,000 and now they realised that it was their little baby and now manage 3,000 ,which is good value considering there is not a hotel room left in town 6 weeks before the event. Now we all know it is loathed by a few locals and councillors but tourism is why the town excists so im glad we can fend off the people who are trying to turn the town into a bedsit paradise.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 08:47:55 am by Ian »

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: Llandudno Victorian Extravaganza
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2011, 04:16:30 pm »
Well said, Wrex. Tourism is the only reason the town exists.  $walesflag$

Offline Trojan

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2011, 05:07:36 pm »
Well said, Wrex. Tourism is the only reason the town exists.  $walesflag$

......along with shopping.  :D

Offline Trojan

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2011, 08:51:48 pm »
  ???Just been on Oscar and some nice person has been slagging of the volunteers for going round all the buisnesses and asking for a small donation towards the,entertainment,the steam engines,the bands,the ever ending demands from CCBC [STREET CLEANING ,LICENSES,BARRIERS]and in return a sticker is given to stick in their window,which i believe a few have given but do not wish to display their sticker.This person is claiming its a bully tatic and they have paid their rates for 20 years,what this has to do with the extravaganza is beyond me,surely there is no one in this town that thinks any council help this organisation. The town council started the event 25 years ago and quickly realised it is hard work and off loaded it,they used to give 5,000 thousand pounds towards it,soon it went down to 1,000 and now they realised that it was their little baby and now manage 3,000 ,which is good value considering there is not a hotel room left in town 6 weeks before the event. Now we all know it is loathed by a few locals and councillors but tourism is why the town excists so im glad we can fend off the people who are trying to turn the town into a bedsit paradise.

Anonymous said.....

Any one else been threatened by the extravaganza taffia?
If you don't donate you wont get this sticker to put in your cafe/shop window and it will show everyone you've not given anything to us.

Excuse me, not given?

I've paid rent and rates in this town for 20 odd years, not given anything?
I'm here through the winter when it's quiet, I have a half day off a week and pay 2 wages.
What a bloody cheek to threaten me in such a way.

19 March 2011 11:51

Offline Trojan

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2011, 08:53:26 pm »
Anonymous  ;) replied....

Dear Sir/Madam

In reply to your comment titled "Extravaganza Taffia",you were only approached for a donation and it was not with the threat of "if you don't buy this sticker and put it in your window everyone will know you have not supported us" as that is not true as the Llandudno Victiorian Extravaganza have had a few supporters donate but have chosen not to put the sticker in their window so that blows that arguement out of the water, secondly yes you and all the rest of us have paid our rates and rents "over 20 odd years" but this is an organisation that your and my rates and rents do not pay for as this is not run by the council as you probably so wrongly think as the event relies totally on donations and sponsorship, this Organisation is run by a volunteer committee, that donate their time and effort freely and do not get paid, I can see your arguement next is going to be "but they've got councillors on the Committee" and yes they do but they like the non-councillors donate their time and effort freely, the council has no bearing on the decisions made within their organisation.

I realise that not everybody likes or loves the Llandudno Victorian Extravaganaza and some would like to see the back of it all together but the organisation does bring a lot of trade in to the town over the may bank holiday weekend and again you could say that "I've always been busy over that weekend" but then you will have unless you have records going back to before the Llandudno Victorian Extravaganza came along 25 years ago that will be an unsubstanciated argument as the event was introduced to bring trade in over the may bank holiday and kick start the summer season for all of the businesses in to Llandudno.

this event needs your support so if they do approach you for an donation please do so as that donation goes towards the running costs, a lot of people make money out of the event and you will be one of them either directly or indirectly.

ps if you want to know who wrote this and who we are come to a meeting and find out the truth

Many Thanks

20 March 2011 12:41

Yorkie

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2011, 09:00:06 pm »
Anyone got a copy of last years Extravaganza Accounts?   Therein lies the answers and the reasons why donations are required.

I have no personal knowledge as I am one of those who would like it moved from the Town Centre.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2011, 11:54:17 pm »
I don't care if it is moved from the town centre, to the Prom.... or even the whole length of Gloddaeth Ave from West Shore... I just love it, and I always have.
It needs to stay.

I don't benefit from it either... its a low takings day for me.... but I just enjoy it.

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2011, 06:46:52 pm »
 $wales Now Yorkie lets not go through all this again,unfortunatley the town was only built for tourists from England to enjoy the Welsh air so don;t go trying to put down the buisiest weekend of the year  .We welcome the English to retire here as well ,but not to try and change thr ethos of the town. Z**

brumbob

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2011, 07:03:34 pm »
the town was only built for tourists from England to enjoy the Welsh air
Yes, the Welsh air, not the extravaganza  :P

Yorkie

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2011, 07:06:48 pm »
$wales Now Yorkie lets not go through all this again,unfortunatley the town was only built for tourists from England to enjoy the Welsh air so don;t go trying to put down the buisiest weekend of the year  .We welcome the English to retire here as well ,but not to try and change thr ethos of the town. Z**

All I said is I would like it away from the town centre, WTF is wrong with that?    L0L

You've succeeded in the welcome of the English because thare are now more of them living here than the indigenous Welsh.    $uk   $wales

brumbob

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2011, 07:17:13 pm »
Should indigenous be changed to indignant  L0L

Offline Trojan

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2011, 05:01:17 pm »
the town was only built for tourists from England to enjoy the Welsh air
Yes, the Welsh air, not the extravaganza  :P

The Welsh air smells great during the event.

Offline Trojan

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2011, 05:01:57 pm »
Here's the Extravaganza website:

http://victorian-extravaganza.co.uk/

brumbob

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2011, 05:30:01 pm »
Silver Jubilee of the extravaganza, is there going to be anything different at all?

Offline Trojan

« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2011, 05:41:17 pm »
Silver Jubilee of the extravaganza, is there going to be anything different at all?

Victorian wrestling?

http://victorian-extravaganza.co.uk/victorian-wrestling/

I know Fester will be interested.