Author Topic: Does anyone recognise the people in this photograph?  (Read 3253 times)

Offline RachPenBay

Does anyone recognise the people in this photograph?
« on: March 17, 2011, 12:27:09 pm »
Hello! I am glad I was recommended this forum by an extremely helpful person on 'Roots Chat'. I have a photograph that came from my great grandmothers photo box. She lived in Colwyn Bay for the last decade of the 19th century right through until her death in the 50's. I am aware that she worked for Lord Colwyn, however I have been informed that the photograph I have attached dates much earlier than the 1890's. It is such a shame that it's story has been lost. I am pretty sure they are Welsh as two of the women are in Welsh costume, plus I also assume that they are servants working on some estate. Any suggestions would be helpful, it is possible that one of my ancestors is also in the photograph.

Thanks in advance    $walesflag$

Rach

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: Does anyone recognise the people in this photograph?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2011, 12:59:33 pm »
Before about 1880, there were very few sizeable houses/estates in the Colwyn Bay area, as it was almost entirely undeveloped. It's possible that it could be the staff of the mansion called Pwllycrochan - the house whose estate forms most of the present Colwyn Bay. Pwllycrochan still exists today and is the base for Rydal School:

Pwllycrochan by davidrobertsphotography, on Flickr

I did a blog post about it a few years ago that has a bit more info:
http://llandudnoandcolwynbay.blogspot.com/2009/08/pwllycrochan_14.html

Offline RachPenBay

Re: Does anyone recognise the people in this photograph?
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2011, 02:01:44 pm »
Thank you for your reply 'DaveR'!

I know Pwllycrochan well as I used to live near it, however If this photograph pre-dates 1891 then the location must be somewhere on Anglesey. This is where my g.grandmother Elizabeth-Ellen was born (1871) and brought up in Llanfair PG until she moved to Colwyn Bay after the 1891 Census was taken. I wonder if it is a photograph of her mother Ellen (b.1851) in service!? Llanfair PG is near Penrhyn Castle, Plas Newydd and Plas Coch possibly even stretching to the Vaynol estate in Bangor. It would be interesting to find out because Elizabeth was illegitimate and the identity of her father was kept a big secret if I am to believe family stories, also we are apparently related to Watkin Williams-Wynn (wynn-williams?), however we can not be legitimate descendants as the majority of census returns show my family as working class!? Lot's of mysteries to be unlocked!

Thanks

Rach