Author Topic: Bellringing  (Read 66233 times)

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
Re: Bellringing
« Reply #75 on: February 05, 2012, 09:53:38 pm »
Yes it can be Dave, and a weak bladder can be a definite disadvantage!! There were two female ringers in the band yesterday so it's not a completely male dominated activity.

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #76 on: February 06, 2012, 10:19:05 am »
Several told me this morning how nice it was to hear the bells yesterday afternoon. However my euphoria was soon dampened when someone said "but did it have to go on for so long?"

A peal is a peal and usually lasts for about 3 hours. They are not often rung on Holy Trinity's bells, one only last year in July, and this year, yesterday's and another one scheduled for the end of July. They are usually rung to mark a special occasion and will be rung all over the UK and beyond this year for the Diamond Jubilee and the start of the Olympics.

That's an awful comment to make to you about the bells-- we could hear them up here and it was lovely.
Having been to the bell tower and observed the work you put in I commend you.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #77 on: February 06, 2012, 01:34:08 pm »
Thanks Nemesis.

"You can't please all of the people. all of the time" springs to mind. We have to accept that not everyone enjoys or likes the things we do, and get on with life.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #78 on: February 06, 2012, 08:00:15 pm »
"You can't please all of the people. all of the time" springs to mind. We have to accept that not everyone enjoys or likes the things we do, and get on with life.
Wise words, Stan!  $good$

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #79 on: April 17, 2012, 09:51:12 pm »
Stan has kindly sent me this photo of the new embroidered bag that will be used for the bell muffles at Holy Trinity Church in Llandudno. The design was created from a  photo of Trinity Church that I took and then created on a computerised embroidery machine by the very talented 'Big Wilf'.

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #80 on: April 17, 2012, 10:33:33 pm »
Thanks for posting that David, it really does look good doesn't it?  Thanks for letting us use your photograph and many thanks for the generosity of Big Wilf.

The original embroidered bag is also well worth a look and will be on display in the bell tower from this weekend onwards. If anyone would to view it, then come along to any of our Friday evening practice sessions 7.30 - 9pm.

We are always looking for one or two extra ringers so if you have any ambitions to learn, please let me know. Contact details can be found on the Church website www.llandudno-parish.org.uk

Offline hollins

• Management board member
« Reply #81 on: April 18, 2012, 10:29:11 am »
That looks brilliant.
Wouldn't it make lovely souvenirs, shopping bags, cards etc which could be sold for the church fund?

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #82 on: May 18, 2012, 10:59:54 pm »
Earlier this evening Holy Trinity bell tower hosted a visit by a group visiting North Wales. Members of the group were from various parts of the US and Canada and led by a bell ringer called Wray Lemke who is the tower captain at the Cathedral Church of St Luke and St Paul at Charleston, South Carolina. The photograph shows some of the group with yours truly.

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #83 on: May 22, 2012, 06:42:21 pm »
Holy Trinity's bells will be rung next Tuesday morning (29/5/2012) to mark the presence of the Olympic torch being paraded in and around the town.

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #84 on: May 29, 2012, 12:33:54 pm »
We did ring the bells for the torch being in town and just managed to catch sight of it on the prom. at the junction with Clonmel St, so a nice morning all round.

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #85 on: June 13, 2012, 08:14:20 pm »
Quarter peal of Plain Bob Doubles rung on Monday evening to celebrate the Queen's Diamond Jubilee.

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #86 on: July 25, 2012, 05:28:02 pm »
This Friday musician and Turner prize-winning artist, Martin Creed wants as many people as possible to ring bells for 3 minutes starting at 8.12am. to mark and welcome the first day of the Olympic Games.

Ringers at Holy Trinity Church will be joining many of their ringing colleagues throughout the UK.

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #87 on: July 25, 2012, 11:18:37 pm »
Why at 8:12am?
I could understand 8:12pm as that would translate to 20:12 on a 24hr clock.
Valar Morghulis

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #88 on: July 26, 2012, 10:18:32 am »
I'll be out on the front step with my little ting-a-ling!    _))*
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #89 on: July 26, 2012, 11:01:37 am »
Why at 8:12am?
I could understand 8:12pm as that would translate to 20:12 on a 24hr clock.

It's all part of Martin Creed's project "All The Bells" - see www.allthebells.com

Yorkie - the image of you on the front step with your 'little ting-a-ling' is ......... sorry - I'm lost for words!!!