Author Topic: Bellringing  (Read 65926 times)

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
Re: Bellringing
« Reply #60 on: November 05, 2011, 01:12:54 pm »
Visiting ringers from Godalming will be visiting North Wales this weekend and ringing Holy Trinity's bells from approx. 3.30 - 4.30pm.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #61 on: November 05, 2011, 04:18:02 pm »
As Leslie Phillips would have said, "Ding dong!"     ZXZ
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #62 on: November 08, 2011, 04:38:53 pm »
The weekly Friday evening practice at Holy Trinity is cancelled this week because a concert has been arranged in the Church itself. :(

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #63 on: November 14, 2011, 10:51:10 pm »
Members of Colwyn Bay Round Table visited Holy Trinity's bell tower this evening. We explained and demonstrated how the bells are rung and they also had a go with the handbells.

We also welcomed Rosemary from Colwyn Bay Link and so CDs will be distributed shortly to those who are visually impaired on which they will hear a practice handbell ringing session and an interview about handbell and tower bell ringing.

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #64 on: December 14, 2011, 12:00:49 pm »
On Monday afternoon while it was blowing a gale and pouring with rain I was in the warmth of the Queen's Hotel enjoying a Christmas dinner with a Retirement Group. After enjoying a lovely meal and a few games we were entertained by the Trinity Bellringers who were back by popular request from our group.
Stan and the bellringers played a number of Carols but I'm afraid that our singing wasn't much better this year and didn't do the Bellringing true justice.
Thanks again Stan for inviting some of our members to try bellringing first hand and I'm sure that Rob and Keith who volunteered can now appreciate how much effort you put into your hobby.
We all enjoyed the bellringing and it was a lovely start to the Christmas festivities. Hope that everything went well at Maenan Abbey yesterday and good luck too for tonights show at the Abbey.         $good$      ZXZ

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #65 on: December 14, 2011, 09:27:37 pm »
Thanks Hugo, we did enjoy playing for you and the singing was pretty good too.

All went well at the Maenan Abbey yesterday and today - indeed one lady attended three out of the four events we have played so far, so we don't know whether we have a keen supporter or whether she happens to be a member of numerous local groups!!

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #66 on: December 15, 2011, 03:51:04 pm »
The Holy Trinity Church hand bell ringers.

Offline Llechwedd

• Sixer
« Reply #67 on: December 29, 2011, 12:16:56 pm »
Bellringer why was one bell tolling on Monday at 10.30 a.m. at Trinity. it was just clanging away and there didn't seem to be anyone around?

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #68 on: December 29, 2011, 01:24:29 pm »
There are on most days eucharist services at Holy Trinity usually starting at 11am, and a single bell is tolled for a few minutes beforehand to announce the fact to the general public. The service generally marks a Saint's Day and last Monday was St Stephen's Day. It is probably true to say that only a very small number attend these services.

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #69 on: January 04, 2012, 09:06:48 pm »
I have changed my profile picture following an earlier exchange of messages with DaveR. In what is now last year, I asked Dave to take some pictures of Holy Trinity Church and this new profile picture is one. Thank you Dave - I think I owe you one of these  Z**

Stan

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #70 on: January 04, 2012, 09:26:22 pm »
Looking good, Stan!  $good$

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #71 on: February 03, 2012, 12:30:34 pm »
Tomorrow, Saturday 4 February

Members of the North Wales Association of Church Bellringers will be ringing a peal on Holy Trinity's bells in memory of one of its past ringing masters Ron Miers, who died last year. The ringing will start at about 1pm and finish at about 4pm.

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #72 on: February 04, 2012, 06:39:05 pm »
The peal was successfully rung in exactly 3 hours - well done all you ringers.

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #73 on: February 05, 2012, 07:38:53 pm »
Several told me this morning how nice it was to hear the bells yesterday afternoon. However my euphoria was soon dampened when someone said "but did it have to go on for so long?"

A peal is a peal and usually lasts for about 3 hours. They are not often rung on Holy Trinity's bells, one only last year in July, and this year, yesterday's and another one scheduled for the end of July. They are usually rung to mark a special occasion and will be rung all over the UK and beyond this year for the Diamond Jubilee and the start of the Olympics.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #74 on: February 05, 2012, 07:44:09 pm »
It takes 3 hours? Must be a touch demanding, physically, then?